All reviews pool area breakfast and dinner excellent hotel sea gokce harbour cyprus girne
Reviewed 13 October 2017 via mobile

Where to start.. hopefully by the fact this is my first hotel I've ever had to complain about hopefully says it all.
It was a special break with my partner after staying with family for the week we wanted a night to ourselves. The cost was 250 dollars ( far from cheap )
It started fine with an "upgrade" to a suite ( normal cost 500 dollars ). We went to the pool, which is lovely as were the staff, drinks very reasonable and charged in Turkish lira.
It sadly all went downhill when we went to the room. We ordered a bottle of wine ( same menu as the pool ) but they charged in dollars so we assumed a 70 lira bottle of wine actually turned out to be 260 lira as they decided the menu is now in dollars.
We then went to have a bath ( pictures attached ) and after an hour of Luke warm water and 2 technician visits. Our options were to move rooms ( just to shower ) and then come back or move to another room ( which was not ready and would take an hour ) so we decided to fill the bath with the tap water which was almost hot. We turned on the spa and it spurted stale and extremely dirty water while we are in the bath.
We had no choice but to move rooms as it's basic to have hot water and a clean bath. They had no other doubles just a twin. ( by this point we have missed our dinner reservation ). So while they were making us up a double ( this showed us that the upgrade was due to a room not being available not because they actually were upgrading us ).We went to the twin to shower so we could finally go out for dinner.. and shock there is no hot water again.
30 mins later we finally get taken to a small double room with adequate water ( not hot ). You would think surely nothing else could be wrong. But they had decided to put us on a smokers floor so when the air con was on it smelt of cigarettes so the choice was to be hot or smell. Also when we went to shower there was hairs left on the side and in the toilet.
While yes they were full of apologies we were offered nothing else.. in fact they decided to not even bring us a new room key so we had to go to reception to get a key to get back into the room.
I would give it 0 stars for our stay but the breakfast is good and after complaining again in the morning at 9am ( couldn't stay in the room any longer with the smell ) they gave us 50% off our drinks ( which almost make the dollar to lira issue a reasonable priced drink )
Like I said to the manager, things go wrong but how you handle them is key. They are a 5 star expensive hotel and no-one had the thought to even offer us a free drink to apologise. I can't sadly get back the time or the money it cost me for an extremely disappointing evening

Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
6  Thank Megan B
Reviewed 30 August 2017

We enjoyed our summer holidays in Rocks hotel for almost two weeks. When checking-in, we were warm welcomed and during the duration of our stay we experienced a high quality of the complete staff.

Breakfast and dinner were delicious with a big variety of fresh fruit, life coocking, sweets, local delights etc.

Rooms were cleaned twice a day!

Swimming pool/sea terrace is fancy dressed and clean. You can have lunch in the restaurant area.

Casino is in the hotel which you definitely need to visit.

The harbour and shops are on walking distance.

For sure we will visit this hotel again.

Date of stay: August 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank claudiavanegeraat
Reviewed 27 August 2017

I had been to Rocks Hotel & Casino more than a dozen times but this time it was different because the main building of the hotel complex (it has the main and a secondary hotel section, a separate pool and seaside area, and a reception building at the middle) was being renovated. So, they transferred the spa and the restaurant to the second building which also houses the casino.
Despite the renovation at the building 50 meters away, it was another perfect holiday at the Rocks. The room was really large, comfortable, and as silent as a hotel room could be. The room service is excellent, housekeeping staff very friendly and they bring whatever you ask for. The L'Hirondelle, the half-board restaurant for breakfasts and dinners still has the best hotel meals you can have in Europe -everything tastes near perfection. The swimming pool area is improved and looks better with better sunbathing chaises-long, and the snack bar and the actual bar are very good.
The casino is still one of the, if not the, best in Cyprus as it always keeps the quality in terms of service, furniture, and clientèle while the likes of Merit Park was definitely not as good as last year. The spa of Rocks is excellent and I advise the Bali massage.
People at the front desk/reception are very helpful, knowledgeable, and friendly. I liked Egemen Bey's help very much. If you rent a car as we did this time, there is a parking area at the back and they don't charge you as long as you are a hotel customer.
In short, the Rocks, despite its aging structure (there are newer, more expensive hotels like Elexus, Kratos, or the tech-savvy several Merit group hotels), is the best hotel in Girne and probably still the best in terms of staff and service quality in all of Cyprus (north and south); because, even though tech devices that allow you to operate the curtains or Rolls-Royces that take you from the airport if you are a hotshot gambler are great, the constantly high quality of the rooms, the help of the housekeeping staff, the level of attention to details -meals, communication with the guests, great guest relations during reservation process (thanks to Sabahattin Bey) are what make a hotel truly great and if they become constantly good as in the Rocks, then it is a superlative place to stay.

Room tip: If you don't mind not having a great view, all rooms are equally comfortable and good.
Date of stay: August 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 July 2017 via mobile

Returned to the Rocks for my husband 65th Birthday and Retirement and had a wonderful time.
The hotel still retains a beautiful charm that many new hotels do not possess.
The staff are all fantastic especially Sabahat Gokce (Guest Relations Manager), Sadat and Mustafa (Pool Bar) and Vergenya (breakfast welcomer)- a big big thank you for looking after us so well!
The hotel is so lovely and breakfast delicious.
We shall be back soon!!
Many Thanks.

Date of stay: July 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank heathherring
Reviewed 6 February 2017

The hotel is spread across 2 separate buildings. My room in the casino building was small and there was no kettle for making tea/coffee in room and no bath robe provided. No iron was available - you must send your ironing to laundry!! I never expect a wide range of English TV but there was only the News, BBC drama which repeated the (Very Old) programmes within hours - and other channels were hit or miss - sometimes in english and sometimes not. Most 5 star hotels offer at least one movie channel in English.
For 200 US Dollars per night for Bed & Breakfast, it is my opinion that the Rocks Hotel is not 5 star standard, as a business traveller would expect.
I have stayed in far better hotels, in the area, for far less money, but they were unfortunately fully booked for my dates. !!!
All the staff were excellent and hard working but I would not stay in this hotel again.

Room tip: My room in the casino block was small and a considerable walk to the breakfast and dining room.
Date of stay: January 2017