All reviews roof terrace room overlooking the harbour this small family run hotel euros per night perfect location double bed kyrenia harbour mini bar castle cyprus girne
Reviewed 21 June 2018

I stayed at the hotel for two nights and i really enjoyed it. The breakfast was okay but didn't have a variety. I also liked the location, it's very close to the sea and some local markets. It's pretty better than some of it's surrounding neighbor Hotels.

Room tip: the rooms with the sea view are the best
Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 2 June 2018

We stayed in this small family run hotel for one night at the end of May 2018. I booked the rooms for ourselves and our friends via a phone call 2 days beforehand. The member of staff who took my call spoke perfect English (little did I know at the time that the family had previous lived in London). We asked for and got third floor rooms facing the harbour. If you want a stunning view these are a must. The rooms were small with twin beds but were clean and ideal for a one night stay. The ensuite bathroom had an efficient shower, free shower gel and shampoo and plenty of towels. Although we didn’t need it the air conditioning unit in the bedroom appeared band new. There is a lovely roof top terrace and bar which serves snack food. Walk out of the reception door and you step straight onto Kyrenia Harbour, probably the prettiest harbour in Cyprus.
The best thing about this small hotel other than its location is the Staff. While we were there the girls of the family looked after us and were an absolute credit to their family - super friendly and efficient. This is a quirky old style family run hotel and whilst not five star we will have no hesitation in returning and staying here again

Room tip: Go for 3rd floor facing the harbour for the view and atmosphere
Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 October 2017

I stay in many hotels all over the world and almost never give a 1 star. I needed a hotel for just one night at the end of an organized trip where we stayed elsewhere and chose the White Pearl after visiting them a couple of days beforehand. I talked with the receptionist, saw an example room and agreed a price of 55 Euros which was not cheap for Northern Cyprus but seemed reasonable for a waterfront hotel. All should have been good but unfortunately it was not. Firstly, one of the attractions had been that the hotel was run by Indians and there was a roof top Indian restaurant and bar. When I arrived while a sign outside still proclaimed the rooftop amenities but I was disappointed to find that they were closed on Sunday which had not been mentioned when I made the reservation and talked about looking forward to an Indian meal.

The room was small but neat and apparently in good repair. There was no kettle but there was a minibar fridge with some contents. The bathroom was very small - but I had seen this previously and thought I knew what was being provided. What wasn't clear was that this did not include hot water that night or the next morning but more of that later. There was a nice little balcony where I intended to sit and read given that the roof terrace was not an option. The light on the balcony appeared not to work and assuming it was just a bulb issue I asked the front desk person to change it. He refused to do so saying that he didn't know how to and anyway it was an electrician's job. Didn't know how to change a light bulb - what the hell? At that point I realized that he was the only staff member in the hotel. It is small but that still seemed odd. When the water was cold after turning on the switch I had been shown to use for water heating and waiting 30 minutes to no avail it was obvious that he wasn't going to be able to fix that either so I didn't even bother to ask.

Other reviewers have mentioned sound from the bars/restaurants across the street and there was some but not so much on a Sunday night to be a problem. There was noise from the TV in the lobby suggesting that the hotel had little soundproofing but again not enough to be a problem. The in-room wifi was free and very good.

The next morning I seemed to be the first person to breakfast but the tablecloths were already covered in food marks. They were obviously not clean to begin with. Nasty! The final straw was when I paid with my credit card and the charge was made in Euros which is always more expensive that local currency benefiting both the hotel and the middle man currency conversion provider. When I asked that it be cancelled and recharged in Turkish Lira the staff person (still the only one there) said that he didn't know how to do it which was no surprise - if he can't change a light bulb why would one expect him to understand the complexities of a credit card system! I suggested that he telephone someone else to ask how but he refused to do saying that "they will still be sleeping", this at 9.15AM on a Monday morning.

All in all I found the service at the White Pearl appalling or perhaps Faulty Tower-esk. Certainly not worth anything close to 55 Euros in a country of modest hotel rates. You can do much better elsewhere.

Room tip: Make them show you the balcony light turned on
Date of stay: October 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank Jane E
Reviewed 25 May 2017

Hard to imagine a better location than the White Pearl, which is located right on the harbor in Girne. My room was small, but had a wonderful view of the harbor. Harbor bars and restaurants are busy until late in the evening, but hotel is well built and insulated and noise wasn't bad at all. Staff were efficient, though not particularly warm/welcoming. Breakfast was pretty standard fare for Cyprus, with the addition of a soft boiled egg and better toast than usual.

Date of stay: May 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank LMOverby
Reviewed 17 April 2017 via mobile

If you like night life and being in the heart of the action this hotel is for you. It is a charming hotel right in the Old Harbour of Kyrenia. Lovely breakfast and charming staff. Being right on the square makes it a bit noisy for those who like to go to bed early.

Date of stay: April 2017