US$251
Kerno Apartments(Reykjavik)(Great Value!)
TripAdvisor
Agoda.com
1,730 results
All reviewsgreat hotelunderground parkingthe main streethappy hourbus stopsmall windowheated towel rackporridgecomfortable bedsrooms are smallminute walkshops and restaurantswould stay here againwould highly recommend this hotelbreakfast was deliciousstorage spaceskyr
Reviewed 5 February 2016

We started here for a 3 night break to Iceland and were not disappointed!

Staff speak perfect English and very helpful and accommodating. The rooms are quite small but en suite was lovely - and who goes to Iceland to stay in your room?!

Bar area and restaurant/breakfast all very clean, but breakfast can get very busy between 730-8 as everyone seems to be filling up before they get picked up for trips so finding somewhere to eat can be tricky. Food is good though, plenty to keep you going.

You're just off behind the Main Street, but bars/restaurants easily reached in just a few minutes.

If you're booking tours, or transfers you can do with the hotel, but book for the first day/night you're there as there were signs in reception to say the northern lights tour was cancelled for that evening due to unfavourable weather conditions - fortunately we'd already seen them, so book early!

Would definitely recommend, and would stay again.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
Gylfi Freyr G, General Manager at Skuggi Hotel by Keahotels, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2016

Dear annie 2156,

I am delighted you have given us such a detailed review and very appreciative of your recommendation. Hope to see you again!

Kindly,

Reviewed 4 February 2016

We booked via Fleetway Travel and arrived at the hotel at around 1pm on Sunday the 31st January. Our initial impressions would good, the reception was very clean and neatly set out and although there was a large queue at the desk we presumed this was just a busy change over time.

There were two male receptionists working the desk and we were advised that our room (116) was not ready on two separate occasions including 215pm (some 15 minutes after it was contracted to be available). On the third occasion, at 230pm I was advised the room was ready but only after having made an approach to the reception desk myself. It would have been nice if the staff had made the approach themselves and offered us a complimentary drink whilst we were waiting in the lounge area.

The room itself is simply set out with everything you need for a short stay. I would suggest that for a longer stay you may want to consider an alternative hotel. There is no fridge or storage in the room (other than a narrow open shelf unit).

On the our first night we had booked the Northern Lights Tour with Gray Line. At 5pm my wife was advised by the same reception staff the tour was cancelled owing to poor weather conditions. We decided to re-book it the following night and during it, the tour guide mentioned that the trip had taken place the previous night and had been a big success with a 'good light show.' We were very disappointed to hear this particularly as our trip that night was unsuccessful.

Having complained to the hotel manager the next morning about this 'mis-information' I was pleased that he took it seriously and pledged to investigate what had occurred. The following morning at breakfast the manager explained that the reception staff had mistakenly deleted the e-mail information about the tour to 'de-clutter' the e-mail list, without properly reading it. By way of an apology and good gesture our bar bill was wavered and the manager promised us a personal service should we decide to return in the future. I thought the manager handled the matter very well.

The continental breakfast at the hotel is basic but the pastries are very nice and plentiful. The bed is comfortable and the pillows light. The only issue with room 116 was it is positioned above the basement garage door.

I have travelled widely but rarely encountered such sombre staff. From the reception staff (male), to the breakfast and cleaning staff there is a lack of warmth and friendliness. A warm welcome and a smile go a long way!

Overall, a good hotel in an excellent location but with some improvements particularly in 'personal service' could be so much better.

Room Tip: Avoid room 116 and those on that side
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pete081

Dear pete081,

Thank you for sharing your experience with your fellow travellers. I cannot stress how important it is for us to hear from our guests, particularly when things do not go as we would like them to.

As we discussed when we met I certainly will take this scenario and use it to further train our team and we have already changed the way our teams handle notifications from tour companies in order to prevent this from re-occurring.

I promise you we will work hard on our consistency with smiling and greeting in all departments throughout the hotel.

Hopefully we will get to see you again and display our true colours :)

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed 4 February 2016

My other half and I enjoyed a 4 night stay at the Skuggi Hotel in January. There a few things which could have enhanced our experience but on the whole this hotel delivers excellent value for money and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to visitors to the city.

I would summarise the pros and cons as follows:-

Pros:
Fantastic central location only a stone's throw away from shops, restaurants, bars and tourist attractions;
Genuinely friendly and helpful staff, especially those on reception;
Decent choice of hot and cold food at breakfast;
Standard Rooms are adequate in size for 2 people;
The bed is extremely comfortable;
The free in-room Wi-Fi worked well;
The bathroom is compact but has shelving for toiletries and a nice rainfall shower, as well as a heated towel rail which was great for drying swimwear, towels and clothing on;
The Toni & Guy hairdryer was great - even better than our own at home!

Cons (if I really had to highlight some):
No safe in the room (although I acknowledge that Iceland's crime rate is lower than average);
No fridge in the room - this would have been really useful for stocking a few small items such as water, yoghurt etc.;
No on-site restaurant - whilst the hotel is surrounded by places to eat, on a couple of nights we really would have preferred to spend the night at the hotel eating at the hotel restaurant had there been one, or ordering room service;
A couple of the bar staff (who I think were temps) weren't quite as friendly as other members of staff, e.g. these working on reception; and
Spirits are excluded from the 'Happy Hour' offers and not all of us like beer and/or wine!

Room Tip: Rooms looking out over the courtyard are quiet
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple

Dear Curly_Kale64,

Thank you for a very thorough review, I particularly love seeing cons in reviews as it gives me something to improve on.

I am delighted to tell you there will be an Italian Bistro opening up at our hotel within the next few days, you must return next time and try it out :)

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 4 February 2016

As you pull up outside this hotel its exterior look is ok but nothing stunning. This impression quickly disappears once you enter. It is wonderfully modern, very clean and tastefully decorated. The staff at the check in desk , as everywhere else in this hotel are both efficient and friendly. The rooms are excellent. They are minimal in their decoration but well thought out. Nice flat screen TV showing UK tv , the usual tea and coffee facilities and the toilet and shower was lovely. Then the beds...... It is a long time since I have slept in a bed this comfortable and they obviously have not cut corners when it came to the bedding and pillows. Was hard to get out of in the morning.
Breakfast was excellent too. The usual rolls, pastries, hams, cheeses, cereals fruit juices etc but also scrambled egg and the most delicious crispy bacon in endless supply each day. Also I would recommend the Icelandic yoghurt ,Skyr, also in endless supply. This mixed with the cereals on offer or the jars of mixed fresh fruit were a great way to start the day.
The bar was also very good. I had heard all sorts of horror stories about bar prices before I went to Reykjavik but was pleasantly surprised that the bar prices were not far from UK hotel prices. If you manage to get to the bar within the happy hour each day then it was working out to about £2.70 for a pint of their Viking classic beer. Happy days.
All the staff were very good and more than happy to offer any advice regarding where to go to eat etc, they couldn't seem to do enough to help.
All in all I thought this hotel was excellent, near the centre for shopping but very quiet with no street noise at night. I would not hesitate to stay in this hotel again and if you are considering going to Reykjavik and are lucky enough to stay at the Skuggi Hotel you will not be disappointed.

Stayed: January 2016
1  Thank 720william

Dear 720william,

I am extremely happy you loved your time with us and decided to write your review.

Bar prices in Reykjavik are generally not too bad if you manage to plan your happy hour visits accordingly.

Kindly,

Reviewed 4 February 2016 via mobile

The hotel is clean, modern and in a great location. It's very central and close to the main streets so restaurants are within a few minutes walk. The staff were also very helpful. The breakfast was good, lots of choice. Would highly recommend.

Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple

Dear Becky S,

Thank you for writing about your stay and for your recommendation.

Kind Regards,