Lowest prices for your stay
US$133
View deal
Free cancellation until 19/12/21
Reserve now, pay at stay
Hotels.com
Expedia
FindHotel
Agoda.comUS$133
1,054 results
All reviews nice hotel central location old building excellent breakfast nice room city
Selected filters
Reviewed 20 August 2021

Unfortunately, when booking, I didn't realise that half of their rooms had no air conditioning. While the staff and amenities were lovely, our stay was over shadowed by it been so very hot, which made sleeping for me non existent. It was also rather annoying that the same fees are charged for those who's rooms did have air conditioning. I get it that they probably can't put air conditioning in a building that is heritage listed, but surely in this day and age, a portable air con could be offered, or don't charge the same exuberant prices for the rooms without air!

Date of stay: August 2021
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 29 December 2019 via mobile

They charged of everything extra. We travel a lot with the same combo: a small child and a small dog. Nearly everywhere hotels are providing a baby bed without a problem and we rarely had to pay anything for our dog either (and if we had, it was that they had brought a bed for a dog, drinking bowl and some dog treats). Here we had to pay 26 euros (!!!!) of a dog and 13 euros (!!!) for a baby bed. We felt like being ripped off. Of course you get to know these only after booking the hotel (in our case we also booked on the road 1,5hours before arriving so we didn’t really have an opportunity to change).

Also, this hotel is not friendly for strollers and people with disabilities. Lots of stairs even in one floor. Actually, you have to climb up at least 7 steps to even reach the reception.

Room was good and big but the bathroom wasn’t on the same level. I definitely didn’t find it a four star level.

Location is great, we also got to park easily. Staff is friendly and breakfast good and yummy. Also our room was big, bed comfy and the hotel was quiet all in all.

Date of stay: December 2019
Trip type: Travelled with family
Mette H, General Manager at First Hotel Grand, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2019

Dear Suskumuikkunen
Thank you for your visit and for taking the time to giving us your feedback.
Happy that you enjoyed our location, breakfast and that our staff took good care of you.
Sorry that we did not meet your expectations regarding payments for extra services.
Wish you a Happy New Year!
Lui; GM

Reviewed 26 December 2019 via mobile

I’ve stayed at this hotel since it was last renovated many many years ago and while it is very sad to see, it is slowly but surely falling to pieces, not just literally in terms of the state of the rooms, the building, old bathrooms that rarely works, bad air due to lack of ventilation, rotting window frames that provide a chilly draught during winter, and while a central location, beware of sleepless weekends with noisy, drunken partygoers and street racers outside and the facilities (gym is hilariously old but still somewhat functional), breakfast layout and quality is no better than a motel setup.

The price they charge does not justify the quality or the service (lack of) and that is the primary problem here.

On the service front they have lost sight of being anything but a tourist hotel catering to the one/off Hans Christian Andersen’s home visitor, rather than catering to repeat customers. It probably works fine for now, but those who were loyal customers over the years (including myself) will start to disappear.

I had quite a lot of issues heading into this hotel at my last two stays (over past 5 months) so I arrived here with my family with trepidation’s for our Xmas break. They still managed the mess things up again, not giving us the rooms we wanted and not really caring much about it either until I got in contact with the somewhat elusive GM of the hotel who I think it’s fair to say is rarely in the hotel, or on the front desk himself, and although he was responsive to feedback and commentary, he never really tried to fix the problem to make our stay more comfortable. He just offered us a discount and while I appreciated that, it didn’t change the fact that we had a horrible stay.

I told him we would find ourselves a new ‘home from home’ next time we visit Odense. There are plenty newer places to use e.g. the new Odeon hotel. Loyal repeat customers is clearly not grand hotels thing.

It’s a real shame to see such a classic hotel take such a tumble.

Date of stay: December 2019
Trip type: Travelled with family
Mette H, General Manager at First Hotel Grand, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2020

Dear Mr 405PeterK
Hope you had a safe journey home after your visit in Odense.
As informed when we communicated during your stay, I am sorry that we not able to find a suitable solution.
I wish you all the best for your future stays in Odense.
Lui Jensen; GM

Reviewed 23 November 2019 via mobile

This is a very strange hotel! There is artwork on display around the hotel that’s quite quirky. Including a marble lifesized leg on the ground outside the lift. The room door opens out. The bed was so tight in between the walls you have to turn sideways to walk in and get to bed. The bathroom was v dated. There were great tv channels available in English. Not enough plug points to charge stuff. Dated couches.
Hotel is v well located in heart of Odense. Bed was comfortable, Staff lovely. Nice bar and breakfast.

Date of stay: September 2019
Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank DeirdreIrish
Mette H, Front Office Manager at First Hotel Grand, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2019

Dear DeirdreIrish
Thank you so much for your visit. We highly appreciate you taking the time to giving us your feedback.
We are very glad that you enjoyed staying at our beautiful hotel.
Look forward to seeing you again.
MetteH

Reviewed 28 October 2019

on business trip to Odense
hotel is near to Odense train station ( about 10 mins walk)
Odense is 1.5 hours from Copenhegan central station and another half hour from airport

breakfast is included ( a big plus as buying same food in Denmark separately would cost you at least 30 USD!)

If you visit Andersen house, it is also very close by

Hotel is clean and quiet

If you go green and omit the housekeeping by handling a card to the reception by 10 pm the previous day, they will reward you with a token to redeem for a glass ( beer , wine included ! ) at the bar
I checked in late and allowed me to do that when I handed in 7am in the morning
Had a nice cup of cappicino at the end of the day ....

so nice....( I wont need the room service anyway as they have extra towels in the cabinet for my use for my second day, well thought out !!)

Highly recommended !

Date of stay: October 2019
2  Thank wonga203
Mette H, Front Office Manager at First Hotel Grand, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2019

Dear wonga203
Thank you so much for your visit and for taking the time to reviewing us afterwards.
We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay in our beautiful town.
We look forward to seeing you again..
Best regards