“Sensational!”

Good for: View details, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: On road to plaka, 100metres from main beach
Reviewed 11 June 2021 via mobile

This is a little walk out of the centre of town and up some steep steps to get to the restaurant itself. Trust me – both those things are very worthwhile doing as this is an outstanding restaurant.

Our welcome was warm and we were seated high up in the restaurant with amazing views of the harbour, sea and mountains beyond. Just stunning!

The service is exceptional – professional without being stuffy and very friendly indeed. The owner advised us about the wine which was €19 and worth every cent. It complimented the foodBrilliantly.

And the food! I had the seafood spaghetti last year and wasn’t going to miss out this time. It was absolutely wonderful and stuffed with fish and seafood. Our other dish was the sea bream which was cooked beautifully and crispy skin on one side. Not a bone in sight and very, very fresh.

If you get the opportunity, just go there!

Date of visit: May 2021
1  Thank OfftheirP
Write a reviewReviews (861)

Reviewed 5 June 2021

Having previously dined at Despina on the day before they closed in October 2020, I was determined to visit again once they re-opened in 2021. I was not disappointed. The new menu was attractive and full of local and regional specialities. I was accompanied by my friend who lives in Crete. She was equally impressed with the professionalism of the staff and quality of the food. We began with very reasonably priced wine and water, then had a series of cold and hot starters - all of which were perfectly cooked and prepared. Highlights were the taramasalata ("the very best I ever ate from my Greek friend"), the herb and green salad which included the unusual ice plant Mesembryanthemum crystallinum, the roasted Feta encrusted with sesame seeds on a bed of raisin marmalade, the fresh and tasty red mullet fillets on boiled greens, spicy cheese, aubergine salsa, fried courgette... all these dishes were so beautifully cooked and prepared and presented. Top all this with excellent service and an unbeatable view across the bay of Elounda and it's full marks for Despina. We shall come back later in the week. Highly recommended!

Date of visit: June 2021
1  Thank jeffbanksUk
Reviewed 30 May 2021 via mobile

Amazing seaview over Elounda Bay..Great seafood..Try black risotto and fresh fish!The owners were very friendly to us!!

Date of visit: May 2021
Reviewed 25 October 2020

This elevated position looking across the harbour of Elounda and the bay is most impressive and a brilliant place for lunch or dinner. I simply had several appetisers and some wine on the last night before the Taverna closed for the season. The food was lovely and I shall return. The staff were warm and friendly. Highly recommended

Date of visit: October 2020
2  Thank jeffbanksUk
Reviewed 27 September 2020 via mobile

This restaurant is a very classy place without doubt and we had possibly the best meal of our holiday there. It was a hotel recommendation and it certainly didn’t let us down.

It is a 10 minute walk from the harbour but definitely worth the effort. There is a steep climb up there from the road but the views are spectacular across the sea and mountains.

The service was really good fun and very professional. Most importantly, the food was amazing! The seabass was fresh, beautifully cooked and delicious. I highly recommend the seafood spaghetti as it was packed with fish and prawns and absolutely delicious.

It is reasonably priced and the atmosphere relaxed so we had a terrific night there.

Date of visit: September 2020