“Stunning walk under the Eiger”
Review of The Eiger Trail

The Eiger Trail
Book In Advance
More Info
US$141.18*
and up
Bernese Oberland Alps Day Trip from Zurich: Kleine Scheidegg and Jungfraujoch...
Ranked #3 of 32 things to do in Grindelwald
Reviewed 1 August 2013

One of the best walks in the area. Best done from Kleine Scheidegg via Eigergletscher and down to Alpiglen (about 3hrs) Detour on the way to Eigergletscher to the moraine path with stunning views up to the Eiger, Monch and Jungrau. On the way down to Alpiglen lots of great views of the infamous Eiger Nordwand (north wall) and its precipitous cliffs.

5  Thank Nick P
There are newer reviews for The Eiger Trail

Reviewed 31 July 2013

Most people hike down from Eigergletscher to Alpiglen and call this trail easy. Well if you do it in reverse where you actually have to do a lot of ascending, you can make it more challenging. In addition, not being able to see where the end is (it always seems like it's just over the next hill) adds to the challenge. If you are stopping to take pictures and admire the views, this 5 mile hike will take between 3.5-4 hours. And don't forget the 30 minute walk down from Eigergletscher station to Kleine Scheidegg. Overall a great hike with all sorts of views, and if it is your goal to be near the Eiger North Face you must do this.

5  Thank krisptoria
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Starting from Eigergletcher this trail shadows the base of the north wall of the mighty Eiger with shadow being the your main companion until the path starts to head away from the mountain and down toward Alpiglen. It is a decent enough walk but certainly not the best in the area.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

The Eiger Trail is well worth doing if you are in the Grindelwald area. I would recommend starting at Eigergletcher Station and walking down towards Alpiglen. Nothing too difficult, but make sure you are well prepared (Footwear / Clothing etc) The Eiger creates its own weather patterns and it is surprising how quickly a thunderstorm can set in.

If you prefer, take the "tourist" path up from Alpiglen to Kleine Scheidegg first and have lunch before heading down.

I will add a couple photos - Let me know if these help.

3  Thank Alex5Scotland
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I climbed the Via ferrata on Rotstock, which is effectively a bunch of fixed roped and ladders up through a gorge next to the Eiger. The via ferrata is excellent - you don't need a guide if you're not afraid of heights! Amazing views.

We started up in 30C heat, completely blue sky. When I reached the top, a few clouds had come in, and I heard an electrical kind of sound, I thought it must be from the mountain railway lights or something, but then I raised my arms, and felt all of the hairs stand on end. It was the beginning of a famous Eiger storm!

At this point I decided to get the hell of the mountain and work my way back around. We had left our jackets, bags etc. at the foot of the climb, to retrieve on the way back to the valley on the Eiger trail. On the way towards the bags, the storm really picked up, with lighting striking less that 50m away from us, and huge 3 inch hail stones bombarding my back, I really thought that we had to get down into the valley, and quick. I looked up to the gorge which I had just climbed, it was now a gushing waterfall - I could have been stuck there if I had started 30 minutes later!

My boyfriend went off to get the bags, and I waited on the trail. I became so terrified of the lightning that I laid on the ground, to reduce the risk of being struck. It was then that I saw a tremendous bolt strike less than 15m from me.

Anyway, we made it back to the camp site in the lush Grindelwald valley, where we safely admired the storm.

This was one of the most memorable experiences of my life, and whilst I do feel like a total idiot not checking the weather before a climb, and not bringing spare clothing, It was exhilarating to be in the middle of a real Eiger storm.

If you go, even if it is 30C and very hot with clear blue sky - check the weather and bring spare clothing :)

5  Thank Biologywelch