All reviewsthe main hotelpisa towerannex buildingfour poster bedone nightperfect locationtrain stationvending machineminute walklovely hotellovely roomstone's throwlovely gardenthe ground floorquadruple roomshuttle service to the airportlam rossa
Reviewed 7 June 2018

Three stars only for the staff. Without them, it would be one.

I stayed here for one night at the end of a week-long trip in Italy. As a solo traveler, I reserved a double room at their location down the street from the main hotel, but they apparently upgraded me to a massive family room with two double beds and a twin bed in the new annex on the other side of their garden. I wish they’d just given me my original reservation because this triple room was ridiculous for a single traveler. The hotel was packed, so it makes me wonder if they’d given away the room I reserved and had to give me the only room that wasn’t in use.

This annex’s new construction was completed as cheaply as possible, as the internet doesn’t work reliably and the room (and all the linens and pillows!) smells stale. They must already know this because there is a plug-in air freshener as well as a plug-in mosquito repellant (I saw multiple flies). The bathroom smelled like a urine-soaked bus station bathroom, although it appeared clean. The shower was basically just a shower pan on the floor with a curtain around it and I knew that if I used it, water would be all over the place, so I just didn’t shower – ugh.

Because there is no phone in the room, every time the internet didn’t work, I had to put on shoes, walk to the main building and ask the (kind and responsive) staff to come and reset the router. This is lame for 2018, especially when you’re paying for “fast, free wifi”.

Aside from the odors, my biggest complaint about the room is the lighting and electrical system. As in many other hotels in Europe, you must put your keycard into a switch by the door to turn on all electricity (lights, outlets, air-con), but the bathroom light operated on an independent motion sensor with no switch so when you walked by it, it went on. If you went to the bathroom in the middle of the night, the light flicked on, but stayed on even when you went back to bed. Ten minutes later it would click off and startle you awake again. Alternately, if you were in there longer than 10 minutes, the light would click off and you’d be in the dark. For god’s sake, just trust us to control our own light switch. Also, there is no control of the patio light and the door is frosted glass, so light streams into the room all night long. So, if you want to sleep with a tee-shirt wrapped around your head, stay here.

Breakfast was disappointing and chaotic. Oddly, they offered what was labeled “croissants” instead of the Italian cornetto, and they were inedible. Clearly the cheapest, frozen, bulk version available. The fruit salad was canned. Think of the type of continental breakfast you’d get at a shoestring-budget conference. The nearby McDonalds would’ve done better. All I could eat was a banana and yogurt, because the meats, cheeses and bread all looked tired and awful. You had to make your own tea, which meant people were standing around waiting for their water to boil, making the breakfast room crowded. Empty, dirty tables couldn’t be cleared fast enough to keep up with the crowds. There was a lot of confusion as the staff tried to ask everyone their room number (why? They weren’t checking it against a list or anything) before offering them coffee. They were woefully understaffed. For a hotel as busy as this, you’d have thought the owners would have troubleshot some of this stuff.

The location is good if your focus is the tower and baptistery (just 5 minutes away), but otherwise, you’re a 20+ minute walk from anything else.

The shuttle service they happily promote only runs until 3pm, so for my evening flight, I had to call a taxi. All in all, I commend the diverse, hardworking, and polite staff, as they tried their best but they were let down by the owners who have more work to do to make Hotel Pisa Tower into something decent.

Room Tip: don't stay in the annex or any room outside the main building
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled solo
2  Thank Magda S
HPT_Staff, Responsabile reception at Hotel Pisa Tower, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2018

Dear Guest,

Unfortunately, during high season all rooms are daily booked and the hotel results always full. The room you originally booked was actually placed in our Annex building, which is a 3 minute walk away from our Main hotel where both breakfast and checking-in are. We thought would be easier for you to be closer to it so when we saw the opportunity to make a change we took it. In spite of that, we are sorry to hear about your discomfort as yourself have seen, we really do our best to accommodate every our customer.

We would like to clarify however that all our rooms, including the room that you stayed in, met the specifications and criteria of hotel rooms here in Italy. The same goes to the ammenities in the rooms, including the the shower and its space.

As what concernes our electrical system we had previous complaints in the past when customers actually wanted the light to be automatic and not controlled by a switch so we thought to make an upgrade and change it.

We also try our best to provide our guests the best breakfast experience every morning. All the croissants and pastries are delivered freshly baked from one of the best "pasticceria" in Pisa. Our coffee is of high standard, as well as the salami and prosciutto that we serve. We are sorry to hear that you did not appreciate our fine selection of breakfast food.

Nevertheless, we hope to host you again in the future giving us the chance to show you how much important to us is a guest and its opinion.

Best regards,
Manuela - Reservations

Reviewed 7 June 2018 via mobile

This hotel was perfect for my stay in Pisa. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. I especially appreciated help getting my suitcase up the beautiful staircase. The back patio is very peaceful and relaxing. I enjoyed a bottle of Prosecco and relaxed forgetting the hustle and bustle just out front. Great location, excellent staff and transportation to the airport made this stay a memorable one.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 June 2018 via mobile

Nice little hotel with separate annexe (actually a whole other building down the road). We stayed in the annexe which is nearer to the Tower, it was fine apart from the annoying early morning noise from a street barrier going up and down just underneath our window which could clearly do with some WD40! Rooms are tiny but immaculately clean. No frills here but fine for a night or two. Staff are extremely friendly and helpful but breakfast is chaotic with everything shoved in a tiny corner of one of the rooms. This makes it hard for anymore than one person at a time to get to and is very frustrating. Usual offerings of toast, cheese ham and pastries. Would probably eat elsewhere if we ever returned.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2018

The hotel is 10 min drive from the airport and within a short walk to Pisa Tower. The rooms were clean although a bit old fashioned, but ideal for a short stay. There is a lovely garden in the backyard of the hotel. The breakfast was nice and staff very helpful.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 May 2018

We stayed here for 2 nights and it was perfect for what we wanted. Within a 5 minute walk of the city walls leading into Piazza del Miracoli with the Tower of Pisa. The staff in the hotel were very friendly and on checking in we were given maps and Tony explained where things were in Pisa and gave us some tips. Our room was on the small side but adequate with coffee making facilities, toiletries and good Wi-Fi. Breakfast was fine, a cold assortment, plus sitting outside on the terrace overlooking the garden was lovely. When we left we booked the hotel mini bus to take us to the airport at a cost of 12 euros. The driver was helpful and friendly and it saved having to book taxis.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the main building
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
HPT_Staff, Responsabile reception at Hotel Pisa Tower, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2018

Dear Guest,

We thank you again for choosing HOTEL PISA TOWER. We appreciate the feedback as we believe that our customers' reviews help us improve the service that we provide. We are glad that you like the prime location of the hotel and our staff which every day tries at their best to improve our guests' experience at its best during the whole staying. We also try our best to provide our guests the best breakfast experience every morning. All the croissants and pastries are delivered freshly baked from one of the best "pasticceria" in Pisa. Our coffee is of high standard, as well as the salami and prosciutto that we serve.

We hope to host you again in the future.
Best Regards, HOTEL PISA STAFF.