All reviewsshopping mallmodern hoteltrain stationbooked this hotelwould stay here againminute walkhotel restaurantfree wifitaxireceptionist
Reviewed 1 May 2015

This hotel was so weird. It's situated in an overgrown parking lot next to a near empty shopping center, across from what looks like an abandoned dome shaped sports complex of some sort. The service was prompt, and the rooms small. Our window overlooked the air conditioning units on the roof, which was ironic since our air conditioner didn't work at all. The lights will not turn on or stay on without your room key inserted into the wall. The bathroom was spacious and beautiful, all glass and tile, but could turn into a deathtrap once it gets wet. There is only 1/2 a shower door which leaks water all over the marble tile, so put a towel down when you shower! There is an enormous mall and supermarket minutes away, but they close at 9, so get whatever you want for the night before then because there is nothing else around,
It's about a 15 -20 min drive to the cliffs / beaches / restaurants of Livorno, so be prepared to leave the hotel to do anything good. They had a restaurant which was open for dinner, but it looked empty. Free breakfast was ok, but the eggs were ice cold and tasted like they were powdered and made with fish broth. Terrible.

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank karekz
Reviewed 1 March 2015

I like the room style. Room and bathroom are clean and spacious enough. It is a pity that there is quite no foreign channel at TV.
In the bathroom there is a sufficient number of towels. Soap, shampoo etc are good. The bed is very confortable
The desk welcome is a little cold.
Breakfast is nice. It is possble to get a true continental beakfast. Bred and croissant are fine and coffe is perfect.

Room Tip: Room far from the lift and not located at the last floor
  • Stayed: February 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank stefan19100
Reviewed 19 September 2014

We were pleasantly surprised by this hotel. The room was spacious, classy and modern, for a price on par with places we've stayed that were much more dated. We appreciated the great bathroom with thoughtful amenities (robe and slippers provided, as well as travel toothbrushes and toothpaste!) We enjoyed room service - quality food at a reasonable price- and we slept well. The air conditioning was working when we were there (mid-September), so I'm surprised to read other reviews that it was deliberately shut-off at nights. Breakfast was very decent, even if not well-staffed.
The one down-side I noticed was that the staff, particularly at check-in and at breakfast, did not seem eager to help. In fact, I felt the woman at check-in was borderline- rude with a "meh- can't be bothered' vibe. This can be typical in Italy, but I think it deserves to be mentioned. Great front-desk service and a smile would have made the difference in deciding to rate this hotel 4 or 5 stars. In other less attractive hotels, we're happy to rate highly, simply on account of the warmth and friendliness encountered at check-in. How you treat your guests matters. A lot. The check-out guy on the other hand, was kind and friendly, and we appreciate it!
You do need to ask for the wifi info when you check-in if you intend to use it.
We're in the area frequently for business, so we'll probably return. Now that we know the area better, it's walkable from the train station and there are also a couple shopping centers nearby. Decent stay overall!

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank JMCCS
Reviewed 16 September 2014

MAX HOTEL LIVORNO
On first impression, this hotel was a lovely choice and overall... it was. Unfortunately, there is an area of wasteland directly in front of the hotel which is not so pleasing to the eye, nor to take a stroll in. Filthy old bedding material lying in unkempt grass and roughage from obvious down-and-outs using the area to sleep in. The hotel itself, though, had a pretty good (no surveillance, though) underground car park which led directly into the hotel at the -1 basement level. Pretty dark but with movement sensors that lit much of the place up. Unfortunately., trying to unpack and pack a motorbike is kind of difficult with the lights constantly switching off and so having to walk around in order to trigger the movement sensors into responding regularly. Overall a good experience part from being refused the opportunity to change my table for dinner because I felt too close to the 'noisy' (and otherwise) table next to me. I consequently asked to have my dinner in my room for which I was charged extra...! Now, this is understandable for room service but as I was unhappy in the dining room and they couldn't shift me, I really felt they should have waived the room service fee.

Room Tip: My 3rd floor room faced the front of the hotel, which overlooked not so nice waste ground. In the distance, I good plainly see the Central Railway Station. I don't know how the other hotel rooms fared within their views, but perhaps worth asking.
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Daniele I
Reviewed 27 August 2014

This hotel is very convenient for those who travel by car and also for those who travel by train. Those who travel by car will have a spacious parking and those who travel by train has around 10 minutes of walking from the train station.

Important notification for travelers coming by train: Google Maps provides wrong information stating that there is 1.8 km and around 30 minutes which is incorrect. When you come out of the train don’t go to the official bus station of Livorno, but on the opposite side towards parking. And from there you really have less then 1km.

Even though Livorno is not such a special city, even ugly one, from here you can easily reach different beaches, cities, regions. Hotel location is very well connected with other places no matter if you travel by bus, train or car.

Speaking about the Hotel, I don’t know where to start and what to underline firstly :) Starting from the not so great first impression by the surrounding, I have to say that the receptionist was “guilty” for our decision to stay there all 4 days even before seeing the room. All receptionists were more than helpful by providing different information we asked for (and we had thousands of questions). Some of them were providing own suggesting and some great ideas for small local beaches, better transport connections, really trying to make our stay wonderful. After seeing the room, we definitely decided to stay there all the time, even that we were offered not only to cancel the reservation, but also to help us to find another accommodation!!!!!

The room was nicely furnished, very clean and comfortable, modern design, big bed. Bathroom was great! Big one with tub and enough shelves for two girls to put all bottles :)

Very nice restaurant where you can enjoy yummy breakfast – for only 5 euro you can have really rich buffet breakfast and tasty coffee and cappuccino. I noticed that many people had dinner, we didn’t try but the smell was great. Additional charges apply for dinner of course.

I would really be happy to find more hotels like this.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends