“Fantastic morning/afternoon with Eda & Giulio!”
Review of La Limonaia

La Limonaia
Ranked #242 of 416 Tours in Florence
More attraction details
Owner description: La Limonaia, specialising in gastronomic events in Tuscany since 1996, offers a completely original series of one-day wine tours and food experiences. We have selected some of the more interesting local food and wine products which our guests will experience in the houses, kitchens, farms and vineyards of our artisan friends. These individually chosen specialists will open their homes and guarantee a gastronomic experience that the average tourist will have missed.
Reviewed 17 June 2013

We made our reservation about a week before we left for this amazing experience. Our drive was about 2 hours from where we were staying in Montalcino. We were making great time until we hit a stint of traffic and got stuck for a half hour. Giulio and Christina were gracious when I called to let him know we were late.

We arrived to the truffle house and listened to Giulio about the truffles over some white wine, pecorino with truffle honey and bread, then we went out with Eda to search for the truffles. Since it's been so rainy, there weren't as many truffles as there usually is, but Eda found two after our walk which was great.

We went back to the house, learned how to clean the truffles and then Giulio's partner Christina made us a fabulous meal. We started with white pizza with truffle, then a delicious bean soup and ended with ice cream topped with truffle honey and balsamic vinegar. I would certainly go back at another time of year to search for the white truffles with Giulio and Eda, I feel like we learned a lot and had a wonderful lunch!

Date of experience: May 2013

Reviewed 13 February 2013

In the beautiful hills of Tuscany, in a village called Bagno a Ripoli, south of Florence, we met with Giulio, Truffle Hunter, artist and life lover. Giulio clearly shares our passion for great food and even more for the truffle delicacy. He explained us with passion about the different types of truffles, the seasons, where to look for them, about his special bond with his dog Eda…
We went for an hour walk in the forest… even if Eda was a bit distracted by our presence, we found several bianchetti truffles.
Back at Giulio and Cristina’s place, with the most magnificent view over the hills and Florence, Giulio tought us how to clean the truffles and Cristina made some delicious food: pizza with truffle oil and bianchetti truffles and a special white bean soup, also with bianchetti topping. And for dessert: vanilla ice cream with some drops of 25 years old traditional aceto balsamico di Modena… another discovery.
This was an amazing and interesting experience. If you’re a foodie like me… just do it. You’ll definitely enjoy it!

Date of experience: February 2013
4  Thank Sofievdp
Reviewed 25 October 2011

Unique, and a really GREAT bargain. More places like this please.... Just goes to prove what ingenuity can do for a business.

Date of experience: October 2011
2  Thank MercuryChocolates
Reviewed 15 September 2011

We visited Guilio and his partner Christina for their truffle hunting and of course eating experience on our trip to Florence. I have nothing but exclamation marks to add to previous reviews. Guilio is a wonderful host and he offers a unique experience which I will always remember . To hear about the history of his own experience with truffle hunting and to watch him hunting truffles with his dog Edda in the forest behind their beautiful home was fascinating. On our return Christina had prepared a wonderful lunch for us which we ate after Guilio showed us how to prepare the truffles for eating. These were generously shaved over every course and we finished the meal with ice cream covered with truffles honey and shaved fresh truffles . Decadent!
Guile's truffle hunting tour is easy to organize ,great value and so memorable . I am so glad we did this.

Date of experience: September 2011
6  Thank Wendy5859
See more reviews
Reviewed 23 November 2010

I work for Lonely Planet and I need to shoot a feature story on truffle hunting in the Florence area and Giulio was well recommended. Did I ever find the right guy! Giulio and his dog Edda were fantastic. It's just a short drive from his beautiful "Truffle House" to the Tuscan hillside where he and Edda hunt for truffles.

It didn't take them long to find some and it made for a great short film. Giulio makes the perfect guide for anyone curious/passionate about Italian cuisine, art and of course everything truffle. He is also warm, charming and a joy to spend time with.

I can highly recommend Giulio's truffle hunt as a "must do" experience while in Tuscany/Florence. The meal (using the truffles found earlier) was amazing and Christina, the chef is equally charming and quite talented in the kitchen.

It was probably one of my favorite assignments I've ever done and my best day during my Italy trip. Look for Giulio and Edda's video on lonelyplanet.com in a few months!

5  Thank JMfromTO