“Good people. Bikes and scooters in good condition. Great location.”
Review of Italy Vespa Rental

Italy Vespa Rental
Reviewed 12 June 2017

I believe this shop is also known as New Tuscany Scooter Rental. They were friendly, good people and helpful. Bikes and scooters were in good condition and appeared to be well maintained. The shop is VERY BUSY, so don't expect to be in and out in 5 minutes with a rental. They have to go over every vehicle and gauge the skills of every rider. Riding in Florence in not for new riders, so be sure you know what you're getting into. The shop's location was good for making a quick exit out of the city with a minimum of drama.

We rented a Vespa GTS250 and it was the perfect bike to ride two-up in on the tight, twisty roads of the Tuscan countryside. Thanks!

Reviewed 16 October 2016

This tour group gets 1 star only because I cannot give them ZERO. I don't even know where to begin with all that was wrong with this tour but will say in the end the company humiliated me in front of my friends, refused the tour, and kept our $357 fee.

Let me try to give specifics so you are forewarned before booking.

Location - First the address is difficult to locate. We booked through "Get Your Guide" and they were of no help in providing directions after multiple calls. Fortunately, we were able to get help from some locals. The location is a small dirty shop with no signage.

Condition of the Vespas - We had 3 preselected/assigned Vespas that had been seriously damaged from previous riders...scratches, dents, dings, and scrapes all around the bikes. With all the damage, we still were required to do a walk around of the bike to assess what damage was present before the tour. Each bike had an $800 damage deposit and I laughed to myself thinking there was no way to even acknowledge what was previously present since the entire damage sheet was marked already.

Gear - You are given helmets but there are no headsets or mics so you will have no way of communicating during the tour.

Instruction - This was good. We were provided instructions on how to release the kick stand, turn on the bike, use the turn signals.

Test Drive - We were told we would need to do a few loops around the shop so the guides could determine our level of expertise. I didn't know there would be a test involved and this is when the experience went from bad to humiliating. I had some confusion with the road signs, traffic rules, and instructions for the test drive. After a few trips around the block we returned to the station. I was very comfortable during the drive, turned to the guide behind me and with a smile on my face asked, "are we good to go?". He rolled his eyes, smirked, and said no. This turned into me pleading for the tour to continue, exclaiming that I was comfortable and confident in my abilities but had been confused on the driving rules for Italy. The guides continued to say no and stated that too many people had been injured with many going to the hospital for major cuts, scrapes, and broken bones. They also went on to say the the driving path for the tour was very technical and required expert skill. I pleaded one more time and again they refused.

Last notes - My entire group was experienced in driving motorized bikes (motorcycles, ATVs, Mopeds, Segways) but acknowledged that we were not experts. When you book the reservation in the fine print you agree that the tour company reserves the right to refuse you service for any reason. And because of that, I could not get a refund. Therefore the company stole $357.

Recommendation - If you want to do a tour of wine country in Tuscany, book your own Vespa, get a GPS, and go out on your own. It will be more fun, less hassle, and you won't be humiliated in front of your friends for not passing the company's hidden driving test stipulation.

2  Thank MollyMacs
Reviewed 6 November 2015

Some might find it a bit confusing to find as the address lists 50 Via il Prato but the rental place is located on Via Palazzuolo (continuation of Il Prato). You will see all the bikes parked outside (though there are scooters EVERYWHERE in Florence). The staff is very friendly and helpful, and get you set up and on your way quickly. The rental rate is for 24 hours which was a nice surprise. My husband had driven scooters as a youth so felt comfortable with the bike, but beware that driving in Florence is an adventure as there are so many roads not intended for motorized traffic, so many one ways, and it is generally tough to navigate (especially at high speeds). We drove the scooter to Siena approximately two hours south of Florence along the #2 (rather than on the motorway). This was primarily to enjoy the views of the Tuscan countryside but had the added benefit of not worrying about the speed of traffic. If you are uncomfortable with the thought of driving, you can arrange a tour with one of their drivers. Helmets and a map was provided, as well as info on what to do in case of accident. We had a great experience and would recommend this location for great service and well-maintained scooters.

2  Thank TimeToSeeCanada
Reviewed 28 August 2015

This was the highlight of my trip. I was able to go everywhere and see everything I wanted to see--at a reasonable price and with very friendly and helpful representatives.

2  Thank DelphisKitty