“Fantastic day, great food, great fun!”

Cooking Class in Taormina With Chef Massimo
Ranked #2 of 15 Food & Drink in Taormina
More attraction details
Owner description: Join Chef Massimo in Taormina as he leads you through a guided market tour in our Shop With The Chef Tour showcasing Sicily's colorful foods. After the market tour, everyone returns to the kitchen for your hands-on cooking class. Visit the fruit & vegetable vendor to find out what's in season and the fishmonger to choose the best fresh catch of the day in Taormina's historic fish market.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Lockers / storage, Food available for purchase
Reviewed 29 June 2018 via mobile

My wife and I went to Taormina on our honeymoon and booked this class before we flew out. Massimo is a really nice guy, we had a great time going round the market and learning about picking the best fish, fruit and veg. Back at the restaurant we had some prosecco on a balcony overlooking the sea and then into the kitchen where we made loads of different traditional Sicilian dishes. Massimo taught us how to make fresh pasta, caponata, calamari and a bunch of other things, giving us general cooking tips along the way. Once we sat down to eat he finished off a few courses and served us the food with some great wine and the macheroni alla norma, in particular, was exceptionally good! All in all it was a fantastic day, couldn't recommend more highly. The value is great, too, as the whole experience is fantastic and we ended up having a big lunch and not needing to eat much for the rest of the day.

All reviews
"cauliflower cake"
in 3 reviews
"learning how"
in 5 reviews
"highly recommend this class"
in 4 reviews
"from scratch"
"pasta making"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed 19 June 2018

Our cooking class with Chef Massimo was one of the most fun activities of our entire trip. We learned so much about ingredients and cooking techniques, and the food was absolutely amazing. I would have paid this price for the food alone, so I'd say it's a great value! You can find many of the dishes on the menus of Taormina's best restaurants. Highly recommend class.

1  Thank nahenn
Reviewed 19 June 2018

I cannot say enough about this cooking class! I took the class with my husband and three of our friends. Our skillsets ranged from experienced home-cooks to people with no cooking experience. All of us were thoroughly delighted!

The day started out at the market where Chef Massimo provided us with information on how to pick out the best seafood and produce. He also explained different ways meats are prepared in Sicily. (We spent about an hour at the market.) After Massimo had selected the best seafood, produce, and meat for our meal, we went back to his restaurant. (We cooked for 2 1/2 - 3 hours and relaxed/ate for 1 - 1/12 hours. It was a very good balance.) We made mussels, calamari, sea bass, caponata, hand-made macaroni, drunken cauliflower cake, and lemon meatballs. As we prepared each meal, Massimo explained everything in great detail so that we would be able to re-create the dishes when we got home. In addition, most of the dishes were simple to prepare and did not use a ton of ingredients. So, you can easily cook them on a hectic week night. Massimo also provided us with a copy of all the recipes.

Once we finished cooking, we ate our extremely flavorful meal and drank some very nice Sicilian wines. We finished off the day with lemoncello made by Massimo's grandmother and fresh strawberries. The day took a little bit over 5 hour in total; it was the perfect amount of time. This was an amazing experience and I would recommend it to anyone visiting Taormina.

Reviewed 6 June 2018

It was great to meet the young chef Massimo - he is passionate about food, high quality ingredients and local produce.
First, he took us around Taormina market, learning how to distinguish between wild and farmed fish, how to chose the most flavoursome produce, and the typical ways of preparing meat in Sicily. Afterwards we headed off to a nearby hotel restaurant where we started cooking, We took turns chopping, cutting, mixing, tasting and frying and cooking.
My highlight was making macaroni pasta from scratch. We did make Caponata (a lot better than anything I ate in restaurants in Taormina!). The calamari coated in breadcrumbs was a new thing to me as well. I would have liked to see also how to clean and prepare the calamari, but that was done by Massimo’s sidekick Francisco (Ciccio) in the back kitchen. Massimo showcased the local cuisine and showed that it is not difficult to cook a lovely tasty meal.

The wine we had with our lunch was lovely - dangerously easy to drink! The cherry on the cake was Massimo’s mum’s home made Limoncello - it was the best I’ve ever had. This is a perfect activity especially on a rainy day.

Good luck in all your future endeavours, Massimo!!!

1  Thank Zuzka123
See more reviews
Reviewed 4 June 2018 via mobile

Loved the day spent shopping and cooking with Chef Massimo!
What a wealth of information he is ! The market tour was informative and the ease with which he orchestrated the food preparation for our group of 12 was amazing. He is extremely organized and no time was wasted, but at the same time it was a hands on fun experience. Even my husband who never ever cooks, had a great time. I was amazed at the number and variety of dishes we prepared. Just to give you an idea we made homemade long macaroni, tasty Caponata, roasted onion, cauliflower cake, fried cheese, meatballs wrapped and lemon leaves, fresh bass, and to die for mussels! And of course, prosecco and wine! What a meal! I highly recommend Chef Massimo!!!!!!