Book In Advance

from US$41.60
from US$75.20
from US$9.30
More Info
All reviews century church giudecca canal san giorgio great church sacristy palladio plague votive wax skyline redeemer deliverance facade dome paintings lifelike
Reviewed 21 February 2017

The outside of this church is quite beautiful. We did not get a chance to go inside. There were many that I have to describe in that fashion as there are many churches in Venice.

Date of experience: April 2016
2  Thank Julian S
Reviewed 6 October 2016

You are on La Giudecca island, the church is pretty pretty, not too much selfiesticks around, AND you have a fantastic view to San Marco, la Dogana. You can have a quick local lunch at the snack next door

Date of experience: September 2016
2  Thank Bernard A
Reviewed 3 September 2016

Ordinary visitors go to the church and back to the crowd of Venice. Real visitors sit down and admire architecture and paintings and visit monastery, too. It is real pearl with all yards, arcades, trees and gardens. You need enough time and some money for gratuity and for entrance fee to the church. Far more than Palladio and Veronese.

Date of experience: August 2016
1  Thank Miha P
Reviewed 29 May 2016

I am with Ruskin in that the Gothic and Romanesque style are better than the Renaissance. However, Palladio did an excellent job designing this church, and the proportions are excellent. Being on Giudecca it has many fewer visitors than the old city, so it is much more peaceful.

Date of experience: May 2016
1  Thank dven8
Reviewed 29 April 2016 via mobile

Catching a number 2 waterbus will take you to this church. Entrance is €3. The church itself is very attractive and impressive and I really wish I'd left after that, but then we entered the Sacristy...it should come with a warning, because as well as paintings by various artists including Paolo Veronese, on the far wall were about a dozen glass bell jars with the wax heads of assorted Franciscan & Capuchin monks. I'm afraid I thought it rather gruesome and I went to make a quick exit, but not before my husband grabbed me and insisted on showing me the very lifelike gash in the side of one of the heads! It totally unsettled me for the rest of the day.

Date of experience: April 2016