All reviews main building rotary club grand terrace historical hotel gorgeous hotel la dolce private beach bygone era rooms booked five star hotel hotel beach wide selection of food breakfast buffet is pool attendant beach staff an upgrade three nights
Reviewed 7 October 2018 via mobile

Probably still the grandest looking hotel in Rimini. The lobby is vast but creates a sense of age and emptiness. The lift is ancient. The staircase and corridors are equally old. Perhaps this is deliberate, as a means of sustaining an image of a grand hotel of a bygone era. There are many similar hotels elsewhere but they have a sense of top quality, and undercover modernity, which this property does not.
The room itself continues the image of ageing. But there really is no excuse for very poor quality space to hang clothes or shelf them. The desks in the room could really do with an upgrade. Only the bathroom saved the day with more modern equipment. I think the fact that the air-conditioner leaked and could not be fixed sums up what I’m trying to say. The miserable offer to move me to another room at midnight was feeble and should really have been dealt better with a rebate on my room cost
What saves this hotel is the dining room. Truly well maintained. I only had breakfast but the buffet was excellent: a wide range of cold and cooked food and all of top quality. Bravo!
The staff look impressive in their uniforms and they too save the hotel: they are excellent
It’s the hardware which lets this place down

Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank siglo
Reviewed 31 August 2018

I had stayed at this gorgeous hotel before and moaned about the fact the sun lounge on the hotel beach was not included in the room rate , nor the internet ( extra eu 20), etc etc. ( chair eu 90, 120,or 150... imagine ?? )
BUT I returned with my little man this time and we stayed three nights . I BOOKED DIRECT this time and not online . I am happy to report , we got a place on the beach and a sun lounge included in our room rate . AND the internet was included too ! .
They had me on record as having stayed before and greeted me graciously by name when we arrived . They park your car for you , they offer to make a reservation in the grand terrace buffet . We had a standard room which was very nice for us . Not large , so next time we will go for a delux room so we can have some extra space. Everything worked fine in the room apart from the toilet plumbing which took some 'effort' to flush things away. I had told my little man the beach chair hire was not included in the room rate and that we would need to pay extra $$$$$ or go to the next door beach for poco $ ....thankfully he decided to just enquire with the madam on beach towel / key duty and we felt we were truly blessed when we were told our beach chairs were included in the room rate ... I almost jumped for joy , so off we went feeling like every other privileged guest , sitting under our very own colour coordinated umbrellas and tasteful wood trim beach lounges. With a waiter to deliver drinks we could have not felt happier. The grande buffet was as lovely as usual , all great quality food. The band was excellent and we would have liked to dance but a huge family from the UK with an abundance of kids running wild hogged the dance floor most of the night . Italians are very welcoming people and children are a big part of their lives so they let the family hog the floor , when one lovely couple attempted to dance ( and they were serious dancers) they left the floor halfway through the first dance due to the children running into them . The lady in the band asked if the children could be removed from the floor now so dancers could enjoy themselves as well , unfortunately no one in the party understood Italian so the kids kept running around . I felt that to be a little sad that , the parents were not considerate of the other guests , nor were they told privately by staff in English. It was none the less a superb evening and we enjoyed every morsel. The following day we had the lunch buffet on the beach it was as excellent as usual. The included breakfast buffet has everything on it you could possibly want . I recommend this hotel if you are an enjoyer of nostalgia . It is original in its style and very charming , the staff are like the cast of a movie , all with their own characters . They are friendly , caring a bit quirky , occasionally snooty ( but i like that ) and most of all helpful and kind . I did enjoy my stay here again and just love the old style and elegance . We will return .

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2018 via mobile

Inside the main grounds of the grand hotel the gardens are impeccable they certainly have a wow factor!

The swimming pool area had sun beds and a lifeguard the pool itself reminded me of my childhood swimming pool styled in a Victorian manner! Nothing wrong with that just looked old.

The terrace and bar area are very nice and grand! Coffee and biscuits are amazing!! champagne good quality.

Inside of hotel looks lovely and grand!!

It’s a nice hotel we didn’t stay there just visited and had drinks and food.

We were impressed, but I’m not sure about the rooms nor the annex.

Thank you for a lovely afternoon very pleasant!

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 July 2018

It started when we checked it to be checked in to another hotel across the road, the staff were rude, except the young guy who checked us in who handed us over to a manager, when we questioned the room he became rude. His jacket was really dirty and his attitude was extremely bad,like we owed him something, if he worked for me I would sack him.
Room in other building was small and no decorations at all.
We wereshown another room for an extra £200 with dead cockroach on floor, we did not take this “Upgrade”
Had to pay extra £70 for a suitable room, which was still dirty, torn curtains with a poor repair, dirty walls, bath tub with marks in it,the Tissues ran out after first day, never replaced. Chair in the room broken.Fruit in room with mould in it, fork replaced, serviette not replaced.
A/C defaults to 21 when it’s 36 outside
Water In shower doesn’t get hot
Breakfast not ready at opening time, asked for a toasted said it was coming, 1/2 hour later still not there, no serving implements till 15 minutes after opening time, was asked if I’d like a tea and what flavour, received the pot of hot water and a cap, staff chatting for approx 10 minutes before I had to go and get my own tea bag , was given a teabag after I’d finished my tea. although kitchen staff were pretty friendly.
On the last day the toaster was there, I couldn't get it to work, I thought I'd try the power lead, it wasn't plugged in.
This is not a 5 star hotel by any means, save your money.
Front and side gates locked some days, unlocked other days
Room was quiet and bed was comfortable the building is beautiful and the decor is lovely but that's about where it stops, very disappointing to be honest.

Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank Nick M
Reviewed 30 July 2018 via mobile

The hotel looks nice and also the rooms are quite new inside. Nice interior and gadgets in the rooms(Executive Room).
Unfortunately no one from reception staff was interested into the fact, that this is our honeymoon trip. No decoration in the room, no special drink for welcome or anything else (as you maybe know from other hotels around the world). The staff at the front desk was not able to give us any smile or warm welcome. The reception chef (with glasses) was very arrogant while speaking to him. The only guy who was perfectly treating us was the concierge who brought our luggage into the room. The breakfast was delicious and the lounge area is nice. The private beach is available with very high surcharges (around 80eur per person per day if you want sunbeds). This pricing is not acceptable for having beach access/sunbed.
In total I would not recommend this hotel. Had much better hotels in Rome or Firenze with much better service & staff.

Date of stay: July 2018