Museo Archeologico Nazionale di Parma
Open today: Closed
Review Highlights
Egyptians in Parma

A small museum but well laid out with a decent variety of exhibits. We particulary enjoyed the... read more

Reviewed 1 November 2018
Quest689934
Small archaeological museum in Parma, Italy

As part of the Pilotta museums we visited this archaeological museum. There are 4 rooms with... read more

Reviewed 21 October 2018
travelsafer

Top Selling Tours & Activities in and around Parma
from US$90.45
from US$77.04
from US$120.74
More Info
All reviews interesting exhibits small museum worth a visit pasta coins roman collection theatre
Reviewed 6 November 2016

To me, this museum was quite a disappointment. The building outside, Palazzo della Pilotta, is much more impressive than its contents. Nonetheles, even its entrance isn't well signed. It was difficult to find out how to get in. The items on display are mediocre, at best, and most don't have quality information, even in Italian. English information on the exhibits is practically non-existent. The one room with the exhibit of the statues of the Imperial family Giulio-Claudia was the most interesting to me—but still poorly displayed. I expected more.

Date of experience: March 2016
Reviewed 28 April 2016

Amazingly poor collection of minor things that people happened to find locally. High point was a heavily restored Roman bust of a woman that looked like one in the Disneyland Haunted Mansio.

Date of experience: April 2016
Reviewed 12 November 2015

This museum is focused almost entirely on Northern Italy, but, since there have been people in this part of the world for a long, long time, the subject isn't at all limiting. There are some wonderful sculptures and some really interesting exhibits on early man - especially jewelry, pottery, and other household items. It's really worthwhile to visit for anyone interested in this subject. They also make it easy for people with mobility issues to see the sites (there are chair-lifts on the stairs, and there is a handicapped entrance and exit.

Date of experience: October 2015
Reviewed 23 October 2015 via mobile

What an impressive museum.
If you like a bit of all history, old, old history this is a fantastic collection on show.

Nicely displayed in sections.

Egyptian mummies, unearthed bones and full bodies, tools, jewelry, coins,ceramics,glass and more this is a great place to visit.

Much more than only Italian history in here.
Take your time, no rush which for us was very nice.

Date of experience: October 2015
Reviewed 16 March 2014

My husband and I spent a morning at this museum, which contained many interesting exhibits - good displays and lighting, interesting artifacts, etc. However, our enjoyment of our visit was considerably lessened by the most bizarre experience we've ever had in visiting any museum in any of our travels. We noticed, relatively soon after we entered the museum, that that there was a man, dressed in casual clothes, apparently listening to a recording on his cell phone, who seemed to be following us into and out of every room we entered and exited. There were almost no other visitors to the museum, so we felt isolated. At first, I thought he must have been a tourist who had one of those audio recordings that museums frequently provide, but he never seemed to be looking at any of the exhibits, and he was always about 15 feet away from us at all times, staring down at his cell phone. Finally my husband convinced me that he couldn't be a tourist, which left 2 possibilities -- someone who might be stalking us as a potential pickpocket or thief; or a museum guard who was not in uniform. The latter suspicion was confirmed when we ran into my husband's colleague from the conference who had his own "shadow" - a woman, also dressed in casual clothes, also listening to her cell phone, and also not really looking at any exhibits. Some of the rooms were "dead-ends," and I actually felt a little nervous at first, since it wasn't clear exactly what this man was doing. When we left, I confronted the ticket sales staff member and and told her that we had been followed by a man, not dressed in a uniform. She became flustered and said that they didn't have sufficient staff to station a guard in every room. Well, fine - but put him or her in a uniform at least. It was really creepy to be followed by someone who was pretending to be another tourist, but who clearly was not. I understand the importance of protecting valuable museum artifacts, but I don't see any need to make museum visitors nervous by stalking them by a guy pretending to be someone he clearly was not.

Date of experience: March 2014