All reviews the main hotel free parking conference room a mixed bag comfortable hotel bars and restaurants on foot excellent coffee pasta desk staff excellent location one night stay rooms are small comfortable stay fresh fruit nice room central location
Reviewed 22 October 2018 via mobile

Located a couple of minutes walk from the main area and a good breakfast were the plus points.
The room let it down. The air conditioning supposedly was turned off at the start of October even tho it was 24 degrees. The room was so hot but the window could not be left open as it was on a busy main road - the noise was bad.
The shower was cold initially and only when we complained, did it change to Luke warm and the bedding canary yellow.
We asked to move room because of the noise and the shower and was told it was fully booked but there seemed free rooms, confirmed when looking in rooms when cleaner was there.
Not the usual ibis standard.

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Renato B, Direttore at Ibis Styles Parma Toscanini, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2018

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience.
we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.
We appreciate your sharing your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near
Sincerly
Riccardo Allodi
Duty Manager

Reviewed 19 October 2018

Our room was not in the main hotel but in an "annex" building located about 4 blocks away in a quiet area on the back of the block facing the river. Not a bad location, just a little further from the center of things. The main building has about a dozen free parking spaces in front which we were able to use until we moved the car in the evening. The "Annex" building actually has a large underground public pay parking garage directly beneath it which is convenient. The room was large, new looking, with modern decor. Everything was clean but there was a vinegar/dill pickle smell in the room and in the bedding.The air conditioning controls did not work for us to turn on a fan to circulate the air and we didn't want to leave the large window open all night. One downside to being in the "annex" is there is no front desk or staff on site. For checkout you simply leave your door access card on the rooms desk. Breakfast was not included.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2018

This hotel is in a good location and is a typical Ibis -spare, basic, small room, with a price to match. However, we were put in the annex, a good 3 to 4 block walk from the main hotel. The annex was in a building that houses a theater, but there was absolutely no one around and no hotel services what-so-ever. The main street with restaurants and shops was a quick 2 minute walk, so that partly made up for the feeling of being abandoned.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 September 2018

At walking distance from everything, 20 min from the railway station, 5 min from the center. Nice room, well organized toilette and bathroom. The breakfast room is not big but the food is abundant and good. There is also free food and drink all over the day. Try the sorbetto.

Date of stay: September 2018
Reviewed 19 September 2018

Let me begin on a positive note. One thing puzzles me; why is the standard of coffee in almost every Italian hotel, (chain or independent), uniformly horrid? Is it because the coffee in cafes is so good? Possibly, but when the coffee from any of the new-wave of capsule machines is so good, (not as good as freshly ground I grant you), why offer horrid sludge?

So for our first breakfast in the Ibis, not only did it have a capsule machine - but the new Nespresso model. The kind that offers flat “pods”, instead of the usual capsules. You were offered three types of pod: a “forte”, “ristretto” and “decaf” - hallelujah! My whole breakfast experience was elevated to another level. You would be surprised how much this small measure, influenced my regard for the Ibis Styles.

As well as the excellent coffee, other breakfast items were of a high quality. The hot items were acceptable and bettered our other two hotels by some margin. There was a decent selection of other items and fresh fruit. My wife said that the water for her morning cup of tea was also piping hot, so absolutely no complaints on that front.

This was welcome, as the Ibis had got off to a fairly shaky start; with a check-in experience that wasn’t that great. I’ll cut the Ibis some slack, as this was the weekend of a marathon-run in the city and I’m assuming the hotel was pretty full. So when we arrived at 1300, we were told that our room wasn’t ready, (fair enough), but we could store our luggage in the large conference room. We were issued with tags for our two suitcases, (good for security), until we returned to check-in at 1600. On returning, we simply walked into the conference room, retrieved our luggage - crucially, with no checks on whether we had the appropriate tags. Excellent if you wanted to expedite check-in quickly, (which we did), but not so good if someone had stolen our luggage.

This “laid-back” attitude seemed to be the default mode for most of the youthful desk staff. Our interaction with them was minimal but as far as Italian desk staff go - I’ve had friendlier. This was in marked contrast to the lovely lady who ran the breakfast room. She was extremely efficient, (performing almost every task), and insisted - every morning - on checking your room number, in order to be struck off her list. She was a veritable one-woman army of efficiency.

The room itself was also a bit of a mixed bag. Excellent bed and bathroom, lots of hanging and storage space, complimentary bottled water and as far as our room, (111), was concerned - a nice view of the Parma river across the road, (which was very low/non-existent due to the dry summer). I would have warned against possible traffic noise, but as the road in front of the hotel was blocked off due to bridge/roadworks, there was precious little traffic to generate noise. There was also zero noise from the roadworks - or to be more precise, what seemed like “no-roadworks”. They looked as if they had been going on for some time - and would continue to do so.

The large window that provided the nice view, also contributed to a potential pitfall - it faced West. So late afternoon, when outdoor temperatures rose above thirty degrees, the window received the full glare of the setting sun. The air-conditioning just, (and I do mean “just”), about coped but even with it on full “cool” mode, late afternoons were not the time to relax in your room. The air-conditioning controls, (four poorly marked, slightly-damaged, tiny, hard to decipher buttons), were set in a small panel. It took a bit of poking and prodding but I eventually got it as cool as it would go - and there it remained. It did have one saving grace, some hotels guard against morons leaving the air-conditioning on, (and the windows wide open), by disabling the system when you leave the room. Had that been the case here, we would have returned to a severely uncomfortable room. The menace of the “open-window idiot” was negated by the fact that the window had a magnetic proximity switch. You opened the window - the air-con went off - simple and efficient.

The only other small gripes could both be laid at the “corporate” door. Every night at midnight, the wi-fi turfed you out and demanded that you log yourself back in. Not a deal breaker but I like waking up to my freshly downloaded e-newspaper, which could only occur if I was up after midnight to re-logon. Also the Accor hotel group trumpet their online magazine service via “Pressreader”. I happen to have an online magazine subscription and the hotel wi-fi would not allow me to download my magazine, from my magazine vendor. Just to be clear - it definitely was a function of the hotel wi-fi. Why? Because when I “tethered” my tablet to my phone’s data stream, the download occurred. I presume Accor did some form of deal with “Pressreader” and no competition will be tolerated.

If all this sounds as if we disliked the hotel, we did not. It has an excellent location, with the city centre being easily walkable and the strada Farini, (the main street for bars and restaurants), being even closer. Finally, I did consider Accor hotel’s other city centre establishment but when I calculated the price difference between that place and the Ibis, for our five day stay in Parma - it made the Ibis irresistible. A decent hotel but not without a few flaws.

Date of stay: September 2018