All reviews en provence porta maggiore highly recommend hotel french doors family run hotel appointed bathroom small terrace small fridge nice stay spent two nights the central train station hotel is situated busy street rooms are small long weekend nice hotel pastries
Reviewed 12 October 2016

Hotel interesting mix. Staff excellent and especially under difficult circumstances with a new bar being built next door and working til after midnight!.drilling, shouting... nightmare! Excellent continental breakfast, clean room, good shower though just lousy bar neighbours!

Stayed: October 2016
Reviewed 1 October 2016 via mobile

Stayed here for one night Sept 2016. The first impression was the car park that is basically just some common area between 2 buildings. The charge for this seemed quite steep, but after travelling Italy, I realised this is a common occurrence.

The hotel itself is 10 mins walk from the centre. We had a room on the ground floor with outside door to the "car park".
The room and bathroom were clean so no complaints, there was a safe and a mini bar.

I never made the breakfast so unable to comment on that.

Staff very friendly and allowed us to stay another 2 hours after check out time so we didn't have to hang around as we had to be somewhere at a certain time and needed somewhere to stay. They didn't charge any extra for this.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 September 2016 via mobile

Stayed here 1 night with my fiance in September 16.

Good location about a 10 min walk from city centre. Nice people, lovely little breakfast, nothing to complain about!

Would be happy to return if back in bologna.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 September 2016

I stayed here for seven nights in May with a friend. We each had a single room and paid the same price. The booking was in my name. My room was very small and very dark. Although it was advertised as having a desk but there was actually no room for a bedside cabinet. I had to put my phone tissues etc on the floor at night. The fridge was at an angle next to the bathroom door so getting into the bathroom wasnt plain sailing. The fridge acted as the only flat surface to put anything on. I was on a language course so I had to do all my homework sitting on my bed. The window was actually a door leading into a shaft thus the darkness of the room.
However my friend was staying in a room that was the complete opposite. She had two beds, bedside cabinets, a desk and the luxury of drawers. She was living in a room with windows and light. I did not complain because she immediately offered to swap rooms and all the things that a good friend does. Also I had been lucky enough to have a fantastic suite of rooms a few weeks earlier on another holiday. So I concentrated on enjoying all the other good things in Bologna. I could have asked for another room but I didnt want to make her feel bad. My question is if you have someone staying for a longer period than most why not try and given them a decent room.
Another British couple arrived in the hotel on our last day. We had met them in a cafe the previous day. The first question put to me was did I have a good room. It seemed that they had a room around the corner and not even in the hotel. I replied thank god because I thought I had the worst room in the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 July 2016 via mobile

Overall- my stay was just ok. I don't expect anything fancy, but when I got to my room it was obvious that they hadn't cleaned it well before my arrival. There was still used toilet paper in the toilet from the person who used it before and, sorry for the gross details, but some remanence of poop smeared on the bidet. I had to let the cleaning lady know because I just couldn't get past the poop. And seeing this I assume that the bathroom hadn't been cleaned before I arrived, only re-stocked. Additionally, the removable soap dispensers (individual soap and body wash) had not been replaced, nor was there any type of shampoo or bar soap etc. The cleaning lady was very apologetic about the dirty toilet and bidet, and I don't think she was the one who cleaned the room because she was surprised when I showed her. I felt bad for even asking. I didn't want to give them a hard time, but I also didn't want to be seeing someone else's feces for a whole day until they cleaned it the next day. I could have written that off as an honest mistake but from the looks of it the place is pretty run down, not super clean.

The staff was very friendly and helpful, per usual hotels. Nothing special. Breakfast was light, not a huge selection. Pastries, bread, yogurt, cereal, juice, milk etc. A plus was the fresh fruit and the delicious coffee drinks they gladly make per order. That was nice, actually. But not uncommon, I think. All in all I wouldn't recommend it or stay there again unless I was on a SUPER budget. It wasn't terrible, by any means. Just put off by the uncleanliness of the place, even without considering my dirty check-in encounter it still felt grimey. The positive- Wifi was great, which I've found is not always the case in Italy. Also, they have a really nice outside patio with herbs growing on it. I don't want to say it was bad but it so far is the hotel I would say is the worst I've been to out of the three I've stayed at in Italy. But again, not terrible just not good either.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo