First of all I rarely write reviews and this one is three weeks late - I apologize for that. I travel frequently for business as does my wife and we have hectic schedules. This weekend (Memorial Day in the US) was different as we finagled a weekend together in Rome - she traveled from the East, I the west and we met.
The location is great, but what makes the Flora is the staff. You can tell management really cares about the hotel and your experience. Giovanni, while I did not meet him, just by the quality of our visit you are one of Marriott's best.
From doorman to front desk we were met with professional and friendly service. Not forced by any means. I am a Marriott Gold member (mid status) not elite by any means but was upgraded to a Jr Suite. Simply Marvelous!
Having two rooms (suite) and a terrace with a spectacular view of the city is out of this world. Every morning my wife and I drank coffee on the terrace and chatted about the coming day. In the evening we drank in the cityscape, sipped wine and watched the lightening (it rained that weekend).
The room. Out of this world. Marriott bed and linens the most comfortable in the industry. Note this is an old building hotel - but you'd never know it inside. The craftsmanship in the room is exquisite. Yes, the bathroom is small - but it has everything one needs and so very efficient. Who lives in the bathroom?
The Terrace restaraunt for breakfast in the morning. The floor above us and so very convenient. Walked up one flight for a fantastic breakfast buffet. Tables always full - that tells you something, but staff were very efficient at refreshing tables so no real wait. If one had to wait - the view while doing so is to die for.
We arrived early and our room wasn't ready. No problem, my wife and I travel enough to know your contract with the hotel when you reserve is very clear about check in. Our check in was 4 pm we arrived at 1. Great location. We arrived by car and decided rather than return at the airport we would return locally and cab to the airport. Brilliant decision. While waiting we took the car (porter took care of our luggage) to the Avis (3 blocks away) and I turned the car in. While doing so my wife found a wine shop and a restaraunt that looked inviting. We took our time walking back. Later we returned to that restaraunt and had a delightful dinner
Voila - on return our room was ready and we were whisked up the elevator and seconds later the porter arrived with our bags. I always tip the porters well. Since the advent of wheeled luggage they many times get stiffed. I have found tipping the porter, security guy and your room maid is worth every penny. One spends all this money on a room and then ignores the very humans that provide the service - to each his own.
Concierge. Sorry, can't remember his name. Last minute decision to do a Vatican tour (my wife and I lived in Italy 20 years ago) and even though we had taken the tour before, we decided a refresh was in order. Last minute though usually spells disaster. Not this time, literally within two hours of our decision a driver picked us up at the hotel took us to the tour meeting site, introduced us to our guide and handler. The crowd lines were huge and while we noticed the sheer numbers have swollen over the intervening 20 years our tour entered by a side entrance with a much smaller Que. Yes we paid for it, but with so little time to spend with my bride of 22 years saving 4 hours not standing in line priceless. Concierge - many thanks my friend (sorry you are no name for now), you know who you are, and again our sincere thanks. He also gave us other great pointers over the 4 day period of our stay at the Flora.
Porters and security :-) Sincere gentlemen and so professional. Really appreciate (2) umbrellas borrowed during the frequent squalls. My wife is much shorter so walking under one umbrella is tiresome. Yes, we got two and we used them as we refused to let the rein dissuade us. We walked over 10 km one afternoon visiting a series of piazzas, drinking wine and sampling the best food in the world. On departure cab was waiting for us as we stepped out the front entrance - first class service.
Maid service. Every day when we returned our room was picture perfect - I cannot say enough about the pride and professionalism these ladies bring to their work.
Since we missed celebrating our recent anniversary we picked meeting in Rome at the Flora to celebrate. A very good decision. While I told the staff via my reservation of our celebration, I didn't expect much, however we were greeted by champagne and an array of chocolate one afternoon on return from our many walks. Sitting on the Terrace overlooking Rome, sipping champagne watching the rain and clouds - out worldly.
So, while this review is late - I cannot thank the staff of the Flora and Giovanni enough. Did the upgrade help - absolutely. Would we return and stay again, upgrade or not - MOST DEFINITELY.
A first rate hotel, with a great location, with the best people in the world - bar none.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Rome Marriott Grand Hotel Flora - il cuore di Via Veneto batte in altoImmerse in your personal "Dolce Vita" at the Rome Marriott Grand Hotel Flora, right on top of the noble Via Veneto and next door to the Villa Borghese gardens.This gracious edifice with the stylish decor capturing the grandeur of Neoclassicism is exclusively designed for those looking for refined luxury in an atmosphere of sophistication and the highest level of welcoming hospitality anticipating every need of today's business or leisure traveller.Just sink back in the timeless elegance of the superbly appointed rooms and relax, or delight in the culinary highlights of the Mediterranean cuisine at the restaurant The Cabiria. The adjoining bar is the ideal place to meet, to see, or be seen, or to take in the flamboyant atmosphere of Via Veneto.The rooftop Ailanto is the perfect setting for wedding receptions and exclusive celebrations, or simply for admiring the enchanting view over the roofs of the Eternal city.Rome Marriott Grand Hotel Flora - right on the top. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Agoda, Expedia, Ctrip TA, WingontravelTA, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Rome Marriott Grand Hotel Flora reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Marriott Grand Flora Hotel Rome
- Marriott Hotel Rome
- Marriott Hotel Grand Flora
- Marriott Rome
- Rome Marriott