“Our best diner in Rome!”
Review of Casa Coppelle

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Centro
Description: Imagine entering the history of Italy and France through one of the five senses: the Taste. Casa Coppelle - in the heart of the capital - takes its name from the romantic little square a few steps from the Pantheon, which recalls the evocative setting of the musical Rugantino. Here are intertwined stories of great noble families and popular traditions, which are able to live together on the same plate. The perfect association between refined Italian cuisine and the taste of Roman cuisine make Casa Coppelle a place where you can rediscover refined atmospheres and tastes and, at the same time, simple and familiar. Bread and homemade desserts, meat and fish dishes of the first choice to savor in a place of irresistible charm, created by the French architect Jacques Garcia, the only restaurant in Italy signed by him. Chef Fabio Rossi
Reviewed 15 June 2014

This was our best evening in Rome. The restaurant is very close to the Pantheon. The ambience was just magical - the brick walls, the book shelves, the lamps, the candles, the music – it was really romantic. Service was super friendly and food was excellent. We had ravioli, stuffed aubergine, the veal ossobuco (the meat was so tender), risotto and some deserts – everything was outstanding. Pricing was also very decent as well.

Date of visit: September 2013
1  Thank KonstantinIliev
Write a reviewReviews (2,338)

Reviewed 13 June 2014

I have lived in Rome for 7 years. I was in this restaurant last night with a friend whom I had lived with and studied with for the past seven years as a final meal in Rome before we headed home. We had never been here before and it was recommended to us. The first thing to note is that service is slow. We waited a good 15-20 minutes for our order to be taken, at which point we dared to order wine as well. We were told that another waiter had given his life to the study of wine', and so he would take our wine order. He eventually came and then brought us the same bottle we had intended to order, without any specialist advise as to whether that would be suitable. The pretension reeked. The 'sommelier' returned at several points during our pasta course to top us up. I chose as a primo the spaghetti with shrimp, lime and baby tomatoes. Whilst there certainly was a lot of shrimp, it just tasted weird. My friend's fettuccine seemed better, however. We soon ran out of wine due to the 'sommelier''s enthusiasm to top us up, and so before the secondi arrived we ordered another. It did not arrive until after my friend had finished his steak. As a secondo I had ordered the fillet of beef with olive sauce, rare. Whilst the olive sauce was quite tasty, the fillet was far from rare - it was, in fact approaching well done. Having waited around two hours for the secondo to arrive, I didn't complain, not knowing how long it would take for the new fillet to arrive. My friend had the tagliata di manzo which he seemed to enjoy. Having so much wine still left, we felt compelled to stay for a desert. We both had the tart tatin, which, I must admit, was delicious. In compensation for the late arrival of the wine our waiter offered us free digestivi. We duly took him up on the offer, but when little, family-owned trattorie do this routinely, it's hardly to be considered a great gesture of compensation. The bill arrived and came to €174. Had I gone to the local trattoria across the road from where I live, I could have gotten the same dishes, prepared better, for around a third of the price. All in all, a disappointing end to my time in Rome. I would advise that his place be avoided at all costs - go round the corner to La Tavernetta instead.

Date of visit: June 2014
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Classy quality place recommended by Marco at Deko. Complimentary Prosecco on arrival which was a nice touch. We shared a sea bass and salmon carpaccio starter then I had Saltimbocca alla Romana (first good one in ages) and my partner had fillet steak. Good ingredients and well prepared. Not cheap but would definitely go again.

Date of visit: May 2014
1  Thank bob1w
Reviewed 15 May 2014

2 minutes from our apartment, we found our favourite restaurant in Rome. Good service, excellent food and a very nice interior. We dined there twice and the last night we got a table in a smaller room in the back, which was a bit less atmospheric compared to the other rooms.

Date of visit: May 2014
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

This restaurant is in a lovely quite location without many raoming street vendors. It seems to be set up for groups with limited set menus at fixed prices. The food is simple and classic. If you want quantity go for the pasta rather than the meat. The one glass of wine included is served by the bottle on the table so you may have to negotiate sharing! Service is effective and they are happy for you to pay individually and get a receipt. 30 euros per person for a basic meal.
For larger groups it is fine. For couples, friends and families you might be better off elsewhere.