All reviews the main street room was clean great location yogurt charming hotel front desk staff gelato train station free parking a great stay ancient city enjoyed our stay air conditioning catalina entrance maps kettle
Reviewed 15 October 2017

The Hotel is opposite the amphiteater so it is in an ideal spot for visiting the ruins and in the middle of shops, bars and restaurants which is what we wanted. The room was clean with everything that we needed ie. hairdryer, tv, phone,safe and a good shower although there was no kettle but if needed you can help yourself in the breakfast room. The staff are fantastic especially Alessia and Cristina who helped us in giving us lots of advice and arranging the trip back to the airport The view from the balcony is beautiful looking out to the mountains, the breakfast is cold but with everything we wanted ie. cheese meat fresh fruit yoghurt cereal etc. We stayed for 7 days and enjoyed every minute so thank you for a great stay Santa Caterina.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 October 2017

Why would anyone visit the ancient city of Pompeii and stay in a hotel room watching TV? Duh! I came to visit the incredible ruins. Not knowing my way around, I phone an online booking service explaining that I would be here for one night, returning to Rome airport area the next day. I informed the booking rep that I would arrive by train and wanted to stay near the main entrance to Pompeii ruins entrance. A better location could not have been found!☺ Hotel Santa Caterina is about six long blocks from the train station, about a 15-minute walk. (Cab fare would have been 6€.) The Hotel is on a side street, in the corner of the main street leading to the ruins. Across the main street is the Visitor Center, where I obtained maps and info about visiting the ruins. If that's why you come to Pompeii, I highly recommend Hotel Santa Caterina.

Upon arriving at the hotel, a friendly staff member provided the room (21?) key and gave information about the hotel, specifically mentioning the breakfast buffet—which I found to be wonderful. The room is tiny, and there’s a step-up to the bathroom, but the fixtures are clean and modern. The air conditioning works well, but is a bit noisy. (I travel with foam earplugs, so I slept well.) The room may seem claustrophobic as there’s only a round porthole for a window, but I captured the accompanying photo of Vesuvius by putting the camera on the ledge. Seeing how thick are the walls, however, caused me to realize that this is an old building converted to a hotel. Thick masonry walls in a seismic zone doesn’t allow for large windows.

Scouting the area, I found I was only two blocks from the main entrance to the ruins. Late that afternoon, there was only a short queue, so I wanted to know the price and if the ticket was good for a second day visit. I got quite a surprise! Although admission is 18€, a sign prominently informs visitors that those with disability and government issued documentation get free admission. I enjoyed visiting the ruins for a few hours, returned to the hotel for a shower and nap, and then found a local restaurant a block away. The next day, I return to explore the ruins, though I wish I had paid extra for a guided tour.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 October 2017 via mobile

Excellent wifi. Gated parking sufficient for the hotel occupancy. Breakfast was mostly pastries. Beds were stiff as a board. Shower sucked to ingress and egress from as a slender 6'0" male. Otherwise it was clean and front desk staff was nice and spoke full English. You are essentially paying for the excellent location and guaranteed parking that almost no other hotels has.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 September 2017

Stayed for 4 nights staff were wonderful and full of recommendations for places to eat nothing was too much trouble they arranged our transfers to and from the hotel which were prompt in returning emails to arrange we had a room in the courtyard which was more than adequate away from the traffic noise although the walls are very thin and can here your neighbors breakfast is continental and just enough good restaurants nearby and walking distance to train stations and entrance to Pompeii amphitheater 2 minutes away had a great stay and would return

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank David L
Reviewed 17 August 2017

Good location but as other people have discussed very noisy even though down a back street. Breakfast was ok. Staff very helpful. Room was dated but clean. Light didn't work very well, other people complaining about their air conditioning not working and shower not working. Needs a complete overhaul and modernising

Room Tip: Away from the front of the hotel if you want any sleep
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo