“BEST COFFEE EVER (esp the Granita!)”
Review of Caffe Mexico

Caffe Mexico
Ranked #9 of 140 Coffee & Tea in Naples
Price range: US$1 - US$6
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours
Neighbourhood: Pendino
Reviewed 15 August 2018

This was recommended by one of the locals! If you are in Naples, must head to Mexico. Everything is good but I was especially impressed with the coffee granita. I could have had 15. Tip bartenders first, and they will happily take selfies with you! Ha!

Date of visit: August 2018

Reviewed 11 July 2018

This is one of the Naples best coffee places. You can see lot of locals come here for the pastry and the coffee. The make amazing expresso and they give water to confront the bitterness of the coffee. This place is near Piazza Dante square. You can get your coffee either with or without sugar. Great place and nice ambience. I guess this place 50 + years old.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed 2 May 2018

This place is very distinctive in Piazza Dante whether it is open or closed as you can see the bright orange door and archway, almost like a strange Italian McDonald's.

When you go in it is like a "coffee cave" stocked full of chocolate Lint bunnies, percolators and other coffee-related paraphernalia. When you get inside it is the interiors that really grab you. It is very bright and orange inside, like a retro 60s or 70s feel. It has the feel of a disco/night club as well as a traditional sweet shop.

You order at the counter right next to the entrance. Then they give you tickets that look like old cinema tickets and you go and put them on the bar table, say what you want (best to talk loudly but politely in Italian) and they put your coffee or food on the tickets.

There are quite a few of them working behind the bar and they are all dressed like pilots of a ship. Each one has a specific role and so they are very efficient and professional and it makes the atmosphere quite fast-paced. It's great to have cups that are warmed-up and coffee that is strong. Nice selection of pastries as well.

They seem to expect tips and the leaving of tips is obviously part of the Caffe Mexico ritual. So just leave 10 or 20 cents (in Euros) or whatever you want as a tip. But you leave it on the ticket, before you get the coffee! It's a very peculiar set-up but this is why we enjoyed it.

Date of visit: April 2018
1  Thank louiscloss
Reviewed 11 April 2018

I kept reading about this place in food blogs for legit espresso so I went to check it out while visiting the rough and gritty city of Napoli, Italy. It has a decidedly untouristy feel and on a busy Saturday afternoon it was jam packed to the brim with only locals (who all seemed to turn their heads in unison when we waltzed in, as if to ask "what in the HELL are YOU doing here?").

We ordered two caffès and, after having just spent a few days in Rome, we were shocked at how inexpensive these were (less than 1 Euro each). We both speak a little Italian so the language barrier was no problem. We took our receipt to the counter and plunked down a couple of small coins as a tip and the barista came right over and made our coffees.

They preheat the espresso cups and I want to warn you that they are BLISTERING HOT. I didn't know this until I went to pick mine up and nearly dropped the cup out of sheer pain. Be careful before you put the cup to your lips or it could prove to be very excruciating. I had to let my cup cool off for several minutes before I could drink it and even then, the coffee was just way too hot for my throat.

I adore the strongest of the strong coffee, a real Italian espresso that you can feel in your bones in two sips, but good lord the espresso I had at Caffe Mexico was one that proved too much for me to handle. I swear it put hair on my chest and my spoon would've been able to stand straight up in it. In fact, I triple dog dare you to go here and drink an espresso. This stuff is S-T-R-O-N-G and if you can down one of the espressos served here, then my hat's off to you!

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed 27 March 2018

I must say, I really know my espresso - I have been a judge for international coffee competitions in Washington DC - This one is not so bad, a little bit too harsh and way too short and the staff was terribly rude. needs a face lift as well

Date of visit: March 2018