“Bad experience”

Mami Camilla Cooking School
Reviewed 28 August 2014

I had reserved 4 nights in the b&b and when my 4 years old arrived they had closed down! They offered to stay in the cooking school, but I got a bad impression of both the hotel, the small room that was the school and the big fat chef... when I refused to stay there they forced me to pay 50% of the whole stay... afterwards I've seen that the condition said 30% cancellation fee. All in all a BAD EXPERIENCE.....

Date of experience: August 2014
7  Thank marisnne

Reviewed 7 August 2014

I went to Italy as my dream trip. It was my top thing to do on my bucket list for years. I visited multiple cities but we were looking to really get to know every single town that we stayed in. Looking on the web for a place to stay to be able to go to Capri and Positano, we came across beautiful Sorrento. As we were doing a 15 day trip thru Paris and Italy we decided to look for hostels instead of hotels so that we had a better budget to spend on meals and of course...wine.
I made the reservation at Mami Camilla without even knowing it was a cooking school. Cooking has always been my passion and is my hobby. Once the trip date were getting closer we started searching on what to do on each town and that's were we find out we were staying at a cooking school. I emailed Mami Camilla and Laura explained to me the different classes that they had. A few days before arriving I spoke again to Laura and told her that since I was arriving by train that day to Naples I didn't know if I was going to be able to make it on time for class. She graciously told us that if we didn't make it that day there was still room for the next day.

Oh my God, that class is amazing!! Once we arrived and checked in to our room, that I have to say, for a hostel was a huge room, we headed to our class. From learning how to do pasta from scratch and an egg free recipe for my friend who's allergic to eggs, to help cooking the entire meal for the hostels restaurant that day, I have to say that this was definitely the highlight of the trip. We made some good friends that still today we have contact with from Australia, and different parts of the US. At the end of the class they give you a recipe book that I have to say has made me look so good when hosting parties!!!! I love every recipe.

They also were so good by taking care of all of our tours and recommending where and when to go to the nearby towns. With a one day trip to beautiful Capri and romantic Amalfi Coast with a private chauffer/tour guide, I have to say I wish we would've stayed there longer. Between the meals that are so fresh and well prepared, the service as they make you feel right at home, and the beauty of Sorrento, this is definetily one place that I would recommend hands down. If your looking for awesome food, that feel like home place, Mami Camilla is the place to stay. This family knows how to treat the visit and how to make you just want to return even before leaving.

PS my actual trip date was June 2013.

Date of experience: June 2014
1  Thank APT1023
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We wanted a more authentic taste of Italy, and didn't get disappointing. After spending 5 days at Amalfi coast and Capri, we checked in with Mami Camilla cooking school. We got to know people from different parts of the world, got to meet the family and enjoyed cooking and trying. It was a lot of fun, and since we came back we used the recipes we got many times - brings great memories! We actually rented a room and stayed there during our visit to Sorrento. Location is great - not in the middle of town, but walking distance anywhere.

Date of experience: August 2013
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I have been familiar with this company since 1999, but have not been able to visit for 7 years. I was so happy to return to see cooking students enjoying the fruits of their cooking lessons, and to spend some time with the family. It seems to me that the students experience southern Italian cooking from the inside of a caring and large Italian family. This is a unique cultural experience. If I had more time, I would definitely sign up for cooking lessons. We enjoyed a meal tonight not only with the cook and his wife, Biaggio and Camilla, but their daughters and grandchildren too. The food was top notch, fresh, delicious, but there is so much more than food here. This is an authentic southern Italian experience. Open you heart and let it in.

Date of experience: June 2014
See more reviews
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I came here with 7 girlfriends for a morning of italian cooking followed by lunch - so we were a group by ourselves.
We were picked up at the hotel by the owners son or son in law with only 7 seats in the car for 8 of us.
My initial reaction to the cookery school is that it bears NO RESEMBLANCE to the pretty stone "Tuscan" style cottage image that is on the apron (which we get to keep). It is on a busy main road and is not attractive at all. It is in Piano di Sorrento which is two villages away from Sorrento going towards Naples.
We were led into the kitchen to a large table and asked to shell broad beans. Then we were asked to cut up pumpkin and chop an onion. Not really stretching our culinary skills.
We were then each given a pile of flour into which we broke eggs and made pasta dough. Once the dough was formed, the chef took it from us and put it in a huge pasta making machine to knead it. We then took it in turns to put a bit through the "electric" pasta rolling machinge (OK that was good fun), but then we all made tagliatelli by putting the sheet of pasta through the cutting machine. No attempt to show us how to make other types of pasta, and nothing really learned about making pasta.
The chef made the dishes himself at the one stove in the back kitchen whilst we were given VERY SUBSTANDARD wine to drink (or leave as it was undrinkable). This included making a pasta bake with the tagliatelle and putting some parsley inside a sea bass and putting it in the oven,
We then made a strawberry tiramisu with sponge fingers, strawberries and creamy mixture of marscapone and eggs/sugar.
So our three course meal was pumpkin soup, pasta bake, a tiny bit of sea bass covered in olive oil and the strawberry tiramisu served with more of the undrinkable wine (I love my wine so if I can't drink it it is because it is really bad !).
It's not cheap at Mama Camilla, and I really don't think we got what we paid for. However, we did have a lot of fun (but then we always have a lot of fun together whatever we are doing) and I have bought a pasta making machine !!
I loved going to the cookery school with my friends, but I was very disappointed not to have learned anything useful from the occasion.

Date of experience: May 2014