“delicious, fresh food and great company”

Mami Camilla Cooking School
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I have been familiar with this company since 1999, but have not been able to visit for 7 years. I was so happy to return to see cooking students enjoying the fruits of their cooking lessons, and to spend some time with the family. It seems to me that the students experience southern Italian cooking from the inside of a caring and large Italian family. This is a unique cultural experience. If I had more time, I would definitely sign up for cooking lessons. We enjoyed a meal tonight not only with the cook and his wife, Biaggio and Camilla, but their daughters and grandchildren too. The food was top notch, fresh, delicious, but there is so much more than food here. This is an authentic southern Italian experience. Open you heart and let it in.

Date of experience: June 2014

Reviewed 1 June 2014

I came here with 7 girlfriends for a morning of italian cooking followed by lunch - so we were a group by ourselves.
We were picked up at the hotel by the owners son or son in law with only 7 seats in the car for 8 of us.
My initial reaction to the cookery school is that it bears NO RESEMBLANCE to the pretty stone "Tuscan" style cottage image that is on the apron (which we get to keep). It is on a busy main road and is not attractive at all. It is in Piano di Sorrento which is two villages away from Sorrento going towards Naples.
We were led into the kitchen to a large table and asked to shell broad beans. Then we were asked to cut up pumpkin and chop an onion. Not really stretching our culinary skills.
We were then each given a pile of flour into which we broke eggs and made pasta dough. Once the dough was formed, the chef took it from us and put it in a huge pasta making machine to knead it. We then took it in turns to put a bit through the "electric" pasta rolling machinge (OK that was good fun), but then we all made tagliatelli by putting the sheet of pasta through the cutting machine. No attempt to show us how to make other types of pasta, and nothing really learned about making pasta.
The chef made the dishes himself at the one stove in the back kitchen whilst we were given VERY SUBSTANDARD wine to drink (or leave as it was undrinkable). This included making a pasta bake with the tagliatelle and putting some parsley inside a sea bass and putting it in the oven,
We then made a strawberry tiramisu with sponge fingers, strawberries and creamy mixture of marscapone and eggs/sugar.
So our three course meal was pumpkin soup, pasta bake, a tiny bit of sea bass covered in olive oil and the strawberry tiramisu served with more of the undrinkable wine (I love my wine so if I can't drink it it is because it is really bad !).
It's not cheap at Mama Camilla, and I really don't think we got what we paid for. However, we did have a lot of fun (but then we always have a lot of fun together whatever we are doing) and I have bought a pasta making machine !!
I loved going to the cookery school with my friends, but I was very disappointed not to have learned anything useful from the occasion.

Date of experience: May 2014
Reviewed 23 February 2014

From the way we were treated, to the food we ate, it was 5 stars! Definitely worth while! We stayed at the hotel next to the cooking school and ate here every night, on our last day we decided to also take a class.Loved it! Making fresh past in italy? Now that's an experience!

Date of experience: August 2013
Reviewed 5 November 2013

I spent four days at Mamicamilla. I own my own pizza bar in Australia and have just learnt to make the true Napoli style pizza cant wait till I go back to Australia. I learnt so many things even after 30 years in hospitality.
The accommodation was clean,and really convenient to go for walks down to the beach in between classes
I would recommend these classes as a real time to relax and get a few tips, and enjoy the scenery

Date of experience: October 2013
3  Thank deanna t
See more reviews
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I spent a week at Mamicamilla - the classes were really enjoyable and both instructors clearly real experts. There was a convivial atmosphere, both during classes and afterwards when we shared the meal and I did not feel at all awkward being on my own. The food was delicious; I learnt some great tips and began to feel more confident in making my own pasta and dough for pizza etc.

The hotel is pleasant and comfortable, and the situation a great location for travelling around a beautiful and fascinting area.

Date of experience: October 2013