“Local, fresh and friendly”
Review of 86 Bistro

86 Bistro
Reserve with
86 Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #25 of 319 Restaurants in Sorrento
Price range: US$7 - US$40
Reviewed 29 June 2018

Got the recommendation for this restaurant from a local shopkeeper for a local, not a tipical tourist restaurant, where the locals go to eat.
His especialety is fresh sea food. We wanted fish and he showed us the fish he suggested for us. It was excellently done.
The servise was great. Even the wine he suggested was excellent. The whole meal was very reasonable priced
Strongly recommend.

1  Thank Pinchasys

Reviewed 27 June 2018

I was looking forward to trying here based on the reviews and we popped down one night to give it a try, I had a quick look at the specials board at the entrance and though there was enough to warrant giving them a go. Firstly we asked for a bottle of Lacryma Christi wine (found everywhere in Sorrento) which amazingly was sold out so we choose a different bottle. After about 10 mins and a few discerning glances from our group, the wine was opened at the bar and abruptly 'dumped' on the table with no cooler and no mention of whether we wanted to try it or anything. Well at least the food will be better we thought. After deciding what we wanted the waiter came over and we were then told, pretty much line by line, that all the dishes we wanted were not available. On the board they had a seabass with lemon which my wife was going to have but that wasn’t available so she ended up with a cannelloni. Myself and another member of the group wanted the Amberjack and Clams pasta, nope. No Amberjack and no Clams. We were offered tuna and samphire instead, not exactly a like for like swap but I thought why not as I like tuna anyway. When I arrived I think it was likely out of a can as certainly wasn’t from a steak. The remaining two decided to split the words smallest lobster which they had the cheek to charge €60 for. I suppose that was their fault and should of just said no but they had rapidly run out of other options so didn’t have much choice. Anyway all I can say is that it must have been a very off night as the reviews on here don’t represent the evening that we had with very poor customer service and a very disappointing experience throughout. We did walk past a few nights later and saw another two members of staff in so not sure they were just short staffed but either way it wasn’t a good experience. If the reviews carry on as have been then I would be happy to give it another go but just obviously a bad night for us.

Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

Excellent atmosphere, hospitality, food, and wine. The maître d greeted us immediately, and walked us through dish recommendations based on the various catches of the day and our preparation preferences. Did not push anything with which we were not interested, and treated us just as he did with the local diners.

Highly recommend that you visit 86 Bistro for a true taste of Sorrento flavors and hospitality!

Reviewed 21 June 2018 via mobile

My partner and I were looking forward to eating a reasonably priced and delicious meal at Bistro 86 based on other reviews. The menu when we arrived seemed to embody the best of local cuisine at a good price. Then our server (and owner of the restaurant) came over to tell us about options for their specials of fresh caught fish, displayed at the entrance to the restaurant. We were advised to share a lobster pasta dish to start then a whole grilled fish for our main. But this was not a reasonable recommendation for two people. Bottom line, we ended up getting way too much food and it was really expensive (70 euro for lobster for two & 30 for the fish). We should have asked / confirmed, but to be honest, it was an odd social situation and we felt like we could trust the server / owner, especially considering the other reasonably priced items on the menu. It felt like we were used to move the fresh fish inventory of the day rather than have an ideal experience.

The food was very well presented but underwhelming. The lobster was a bit over cooked and not very flavorful. The whole fish was cooked perfectly with a nice lemon flavor. Note that the house red had an odd almost fizzy flavor that we couldn’t quite figure out.

Again, we should have confirmed the price, but this felt like a social engineered situation to take advantage of the customer rather than create a memorable experience at great value. For great value, you can go to a Michelin restaurant down the street (l’Antica) and get 4 course meal each for same amount minus the odd pressure.

Hope this restaurant can improve on this because it does have potential and the owner seems genuinely interested in serving great food.

Reviewed 20 June 2018 via mobile

We have been in Sorrento for several days and have had some superb food. We read the reviews for 86 Bistrò and were really looking forward to some great food. On the way we passed some vibrant restaurants and we arrived to a very unimpressive environment predominantly brown and black we should have turned right around at that point. There was some lovely looking raw fish in a cabinet but it appears that in order to eat fish you have to both order it! Not much use when one of you does not like it. Wine and water ordered we ordered a starter and mains of pasta with promise of exceptional seafood. The starters never materialised and when the seafood linguini arrived it was probably the most uninspiring food I have ever eaten. The mussels were over cooked about the size of a finger nail in a large shell. About half of the clams and mussels were not open. I decided to speak to the waiter about the meal. He suggested that I prise open the shells!!!! He then argued with me about the meal. At some point it may have been possible to salvage our custom but alas it was not to be. We stayed to finish our newly opened bottle wine with a somewhat strained atmosphere. The chef ( one can only presume Luigi ) appeared to wave at me in what appeared to be a very rude gesture. I was not impressed. Please avoid this restaurant there are plenty that look amazing in the surrounding area. One can only presume that this restaurant has changed hands since the previous reviews. Spoilt an otherwise lovely day.

2  Thank Karen202013