All reviews street level reception desk four nights nice hotel beach hallway internet rome
Reviewed 16 August 2017 via mobile

I've stayed here twice. This is a beautiful hotel from the outside. The inside however is a bit dated. Prior to coming here we stayed in a big American chain hotel in Rome to which my spouse exclaimed that he had not come to Italy to stay in an American hotel. He quickly regretted those words during our stay at the Esplanade. We had several rooms booked for our stay. Each room was different and of different dimensions based upon where it was located on the floor. There was free wifi but it only worked based on which room you were in. You'll notice big pink chairs in the hallway...those are for navigating the internet as it most likely doesn't work in your room. One of our rooms was super tight while another was spacious.

The key situation...this is the type of hotel where you check your giant, weighted keychain at the reception every time you leave. They're all there hanging by room number. The lobby staff relies on your word basically when you re-enter and ask for your key by room number. They do not confirm your name with the room number. During our stay there were several different men working the reception desk, and not necessarily the kind gentleman who originally checked us in. How do they know if that's actually your key you're asking for?! Keep in mind there are no in-room safes.

The hotel is super-conveniently located across from the beach, and behind it is the city's main piazza. Depending on your room, it offers breathtaking views of the ocean and the mountains behind it. If you're looking for quiet this is not the place. Lots of city noise until about 2:30am. The hotel is located directly across from the free beach should you want to throw down a towel and get some sun. Also, don't stay on the fifth floor as you will be under the restaurant listening to them load dishes and move tables into the wee hours.

The cleaning staff did a great job although some toiletries were not always replenished.

If you didn't book the buffet breakfast with your room stay then don't bother. For 12€ a person you can get way more for your money at one of the lovely lidos across the street.

If I didn't have other choices I'd probably stay here again.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Lory0720
Reviewed 11 August 2017

Pescara is a filthy city with more graffiti than I have ever seen in any city in the U.S. It is loud, crowded in summer, and the parks and sidewalks are littered with dog feces (which apparently owners do not have to pick up) and cigarette butts. At 1:00 a.m. a loud rock concert began outside which literally caused our room to vibrate, or perhaps it was dancing on the top floor, or music from the bar. When I tried to call the front desk, the call would not go through. When we tried to call from our cell phone, a recording told us the phone was not in service. There is no mattress pad or pillow covers on the bed, the shower sprays all over the bathroom as there is no curtain or door. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY to stay here.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Annaschmidt23
Reviewed 24 July 2017 via mobile

When we went to check out, we were told that we had not paid. We had paid in May online. We had a printed copy of the receipt of payment. We had a payment reference number. The front desk clerk refused to check online with the reference number I gave home. He actually refused to look at the payment paper I was showing him. I have never been treated so disrespectfully. We had to pay a second time! The hotel has now received double payment for the room. I can not believe that the front desk staff refused to even check for the reference number I gave him. I would have been satisfied if he had searched the records. Mistakes happen. The rude and disrespectful manner with which I was dismissed was rife with sexism and ageism.

We had breakfast upstairs and the staff was lovely. I gave this hotel a one star for them. For the front desk staff, I would give the hotel no stars.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank kpividor
Reviewed 15 July 2017 via mobile

This old girl has the staff of a super well run hotel, semi small in size with huge hearts to make every guest feel at home, my balcony room on the first stay was perfect excellent views and excellent service. Will stay there everytime.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank schuidas
Reviewed 26 May 2017 via mobile

This hotel was a good value with a beautiful view for breakfast. Other reviews mentioned street noise but I was unprepared for the clatter as shopkeepers closed their shutters around midnight. Quite loud. Clean room and very friendly front desk.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family