“Crusty waiters, fabulous food”
Review of O Muino

O Muino
Ranked #3,220 of 12,982 Restaurants in Madrid
Dining options: After-hours
Neighbourhood: Austrias
Reviewed 25 July 2018

You'd walk by this place and think it was just another neighborhood bar .. but come up to the second level and you're in a comfortable dining room with some great food ... black rice with seafood was memorable ... a roasted pork haunch, on teh bone, that was outrageously tasty ... check out the daily specials ... the luncheon is a true bargain ... you can wish the waiters would be pleasant but it wont happen, so just enjoy authentic spanish food

Date of visit: July 2018

Reviewed 27 July 2017

Spain is known for its small bars/pubs offering tapas and full meals. Over the years I've popped in here for the occasional beer, or a breakfast coffee on Sunday when the other places are closed ... but only this year did I finally venture upstairs to have a proper meal ... I knew their tapas downstairs (and at the Sidreria next door which shares the kitchen) ... seems the foods are a mix of Asturian and Galician ...

I've read some comments on here about pricing and from non spanish speakers feeling they were ripped off at the bar ... folks, the prices are posted big as day above the bar downstairs so look before ordering ... and while my Spanish is not good, I've managed to communicate comfortably with the staff

I cannot speak to the pricing on the dinner menu, The thing to do is definitely the menu del dia (as in many neighborhood places) ... arroz negro (rice cooked with seafood and squid ink) ... rich, stocked with fish and shellfish, and never the same twice, it's incredible. I had beautiful chuletas (pork chops) in a pepper cream; roasted chicken seasoned with cinnamon and orange (going Moroccan on us); roasted rabbit (cordero) that was as simple and tasty as could be... hearty food, well prepared and a bargain at 11 euros for 3 courses with wine/beer/water.

The dining room is bright, with high ceilings and goodly sized tables. The staff ... well they are not the bubbly type ... but they serve quite efficiently and that's pretty much what i want them to do

This is authentic ... go ... try something new ... enjoy

Date of visit: July 2017
Reviewed 21 May 2017

We found the place by accident but liked the atmosphere inside. The food was really good, however as the staff don't speak english we had some problems with placing our order. Not everyone got what they wanted, but we gave up and ate what we received. The price is good for the value (there's a lot of food, so if you're not that hungry take 1/2 portions), but a bit more expensive than in other similar places.

Date of visit: May 2017
Reviewed 23 July 2016 via mobile

Just found tha place after walking and wonder in Gran Via. First of all, this place smells like Old Madrid and truly Spain. There you can see how spaniard sided to go to tapas bar and restaurant.

About food: I took daily lunch menu and for 13 euro the combinations are incredible! Black rise and while pollock fish... Amazing.

Service, the waitress just took the bones of my kids plate and mega friendly....

So a must visit

Date of visit: July 2016
Reviewed 11 November 2015

I decided to pay a visit to this restaurant since my hotel recommended it. The man in a bar sent me upstairs, where my friend and me were met by a man with a pronounced air of hostility about him, una cara de mala leche. Our hotel sent him greetings so I think he is the owner of the place. It was quite late hour and we had another plans so I asked cautiously how long he would think it would take for food to get ready. He immediately jumped at the opportunity to send us away and told me that if you want something fast you can go to bar. Which we did. My Spanish works in most cases but sometimes I may misunderstand. When this unfriendly man sent us downstairs I understood that I could order something fast. I looked at the prices for sandwiches since I missed to note the vertical letters on the menu that indicated the word sandwiches. Instead I got a "racion" with the same name. I had ordered three raciones that I thought were tapas. As an unexperienced Spain tourist I did not quite know what to expect and in the retrospect I understand it was a risk taking to speak Spanish. I was a little off-guard in the situation and might have had reacted sooner. I did not react before I got the bill, with 3 raciones and two beers I paid 41 EUR. Considering that this hostile man did not understand English very well I think he should somehow had appreciated that I made an effort to communicate in his language. There was obviously some kind of misunderstanding, lack of knowledge on my part and lack of guidance on their part. However, I explained the situation to the hostile man in a quiet subdued voice still in Spanish to his convenience. He gave me a crash course on how I should have said in Spanish to be served what I wanted. I guess I would appreciate this opportunity to fine tune my Spanish if it were not for him standing his ground, not giving in for an inch, no discounts to the bill, no effort whatsoever. Somehow I felt humiliated.
Also I am wondering they are not cleaning floors, with a lots of paper tissues left lying on the floor.
I would not recommend this place if you want to feel welcome or at least treated as equal.

Date of visit: November 2015