“We loved it!”

Ranked #455 of 464 Coffee & Tea in Madrid
Neighbourhood: Austrias
Neighbourhood: Austrias
Reviewed 13 June 2017 via mobile

I honestly can't believe some of the reviews on here. It seems my girlfriend and I must've visited a completely different restaurant to the majority of people! lol

We were in Madrid from April 22-24 thanks to the half marathon taking place. Sunday evening is traditionally our date night and we just happened to be in Plaza Mayor for the evening. Wandering around the square we were beckoned in by one of the waiters. We figured "why not" and sat down.

The waiters were very friendly and attentive and the chap who took our order took the time to explain that my partner's paella was being cooked from scratch and would take a lot longer than my escalopes. I was given the choice of eating mine before hers was ready, or waiting till we could eat together. Obviously I chose to wait, but it was good to know that dinner was going to be a while so we wouldn't start wondering what happened to our "forgotten" order.

Besides, the wait just meant we had plenty of time to enjoy a jug of sangria and enjoy the ambience of this attractive square in this beautiful city.

When dinner arrived we keenly tucked in, and neither of us had any complaints whatsoever. My girlfriend's chicken paella was perfectly cooked, as were my escalopes. Admittedly mine was just basically gammon and chips, so nothing very difficult at all, but it was well cooked, tasted great and was a good sized portion. Absolutely nothing to complain about! And the bill when we got it was perfectly reasonable. I won't say it was cheap for what we had, but neither was it particularly expensive. And when you eat somewhere like Plaza Mayor, you're not just paying for the food, you're also paying for the ambience and experience.

That's how we feel anyway. Clearly plenty of the other reviewers think differently. In fact, it seems some people expect Michelin food for McDonalds prices!

Tasty food, friendly waiters, nice view, pleasant experience, reasonable price... I just don't have anything negative to say!

Date of visit: April 2017
Write a reviewReviews (247)

Reviewed 6 June 2017 via mobile

A frozen pizza with canned mushrooms for 15 Euros. They also charge for bread basket without you asking for it 3 Euros. Food quality was poor and the service also. The waiters kept arguing and ignoring us. You know how you feel when you eat something but can't determine what it was... that's how we felt. Plaza Mayor is a nice central tourist location but the food and service was horrible.

Date of visit: June 2017
Reviewed 28 May 2017 via mobile

We waited forever for the bill and it was a cold shower: 6.40 € for two coffees! Several times more expensive than the neighbouring bar. Never again!

Date of visit: May 2017
Reviewed 27 April 2017

One of many outdoor Tapas type bars/restaurants in the Plaza Plaza Mayor. Very popular with tourists and locals. a good place to sit on a nice day, under umbrellas, watching the entertainment going on all around. This is one of many but I recommend it for its specific location.

Reviewed 21 April 2017 via mobile

Super spot in corner of Plaza Mayor... furniture and fittings fairly tatty and grubby topped off with an extortionate bill.

1  Thank Louise W