“A real eye opener”

Ranked #6 of 806 things to do in Madrid
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: World famous modern art museum featuring a diverse collection of 20th century Spanish art, from Picasso to Solana.
Reviewed 2 May 2018

The new extension to the gallery is one of the best I have ever seen - it is tricky to figure out how to see it if you enter from the front of the main building and signage inside is a little lacking. But...the main point is the art - I went looking for the Picasso and others of his period which I knew about - the collection is stunning and you can appreciate Guernica's place in art history when you see it in the flesh. After a break in the lovely central courtyard garden area we thought we'd have a look at the other rooms. Thank goodness we did - we were introduced to some incredible Spanish artists that just don't have the international reputation of Picasso, Dali, Miro et al. A real delight and you are allowed to use a camera in those rooms. We had been told there was a good book covering the main collection which I always try to buy when I visit a gallery like this but it was nowhere to be seen. As others have commented - this gallery might not have the reputation of the Prado but it is well worth a visit for many reasons and is not a small collection so unless you just want to see the famous works allow at least a couple of hours.

Write a ReviewReviews (14,196)
All reviews
in 54 reviews
"exhibits"
in 383 reviews

Reviewed 2 May 2018 via mobile

The incredible collection of Picasso and all the post script and pre painting materials of Guernica make this a can’t miss museum. There are also multiple floors of other great modern art that is wonderful in its own right.

Reviewed 1 May 2018

If the message is that war and in particular Civil war is an evil visitation upon any generation then this Musuem conveys that message in its stark reality. Make sure you bracket your visit with events that will energise your visits.

1  Thank AuldYinGiffnock
Reviewed 30 April 2018 via mobile

I am not the biggest fan of spending time in a museum when I travel. However, this museum is nice and you can spend of few hours (much more if you’d like) and it is a nice change of activities.

Pay attention tocthe type of exhibition to see if it fits your taste before going!

In addition, the set up of the museum is really well done.

See more reviews
Reviewed 30 April 2018

First, let me say that this type of art isn't my favourite - the other two main Madrid museums are much more to my taste. But I am judging the overall experience rather than the art itself, which is clearly a personal thing. My partner has wanted to view Guernica for years so we eventually made it, but sadly there were such crowds you couldn't really see it. There were interesting glass external lifts but these and other areas of the museum were rather over-hot. The building used to be a hospital apparently. The interior isn't particularly attractive and the staff weren't as pleasant as they should have been, given that they are ambassadors to the world for this museum. I would much rather spend my time in the nearby delightful Thyssen-Bornemisza museum which was much more comfortable and visitor-friendly.

1  Thank maryrosedouglas