“Truly Excellent Food, Reasonably Priced”
Review of Los Toreros

Los Toreros
Ranked #1,680 of 11,041 Restaurants in Barcelona
Price range: US$17 - US$23
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: El Raval
Description: This historical place, defined as a museum by many people, is one of the few restaurants in Catalonia where you can enjoy several tapas and paella in a very special taurine/bullfighting ambiance with old pictures, paints and trophies that remember how bullfighters lived some time ago, when Barcelona was an important place for bulls! Take note that, at the beginning of the XXth century, bullfighting was as important as football in all Spain... This restaurant opened in 1950 being the headquarter of one of the oldest taurine/bullfighter association in Catalonia, called Peña de Gallito y Belmonte, created in 1920 and still alive in spite of the current situation (bullfighting is now forbidden in Catalonia). Thanks to this association, our restaurant received many famous bullfighters like José Tomas, Luis Miguel Dominguin or El Cordobes, well known dancers & singers as Lola Flores and other important people as Matias Prat. Even a movie called "tiempos mejores" with Arturo Fernandez has been filmed here in 1994! We kindly invite you to discover the photos hung on the walls around you... Conscious of this important historical heritage, we refurbished a few months ago our restaurant and tried to enhance all these testimonies. We maintained a classic decoration with warm colors and stones at sight. We placed a small red wood wall around our two main rooms in order to imitate a Taurus square and in our two smaller rooms, we used old ceramics and rustic painting to recreate the Andalusia style. We remain specialized in tapas and paellas but we also offer salads, meat and fish with a special mention to our traditional and delicious oxtail... As a complement, we offer different kinds of menus for groups too, with prices between 17,90 Eur and 22,50 Eur per person (beverage included like sangria, wine, water, softdrink or beer). These menus are compound by several tapas to share and it is a good way to discover many typical Spanish dishes at a very reasonable price. We hope you will enjoy our restaurant!
Reviewed 31 May 2018 via mobile

First restaurant we ate in Barcelona - both the food and service were superb! We did order too much food - the tapas portions were very generous. Ambiance was nice, stone walls and wrought iron chandeliers...jeans were acceptable.

First, they had menus in both English and Spanish, which was very helpful. They have prix fixe tapas menus which offer a variety of tapas to try, but since my daughter doesn't eat pork we decided to order our own. Our favorites were the spinach-walnut-pinchot croquettes, tuna carpaccio with wasabi ice cream, and fried brie with truffle honey. The grilled prawns and tomato bread were quite good too...probably the only thing we didn't love was the fried calamari, but mainly because it didn't come with a dipping sauce.

We'd go back in a heartbeat!

Reviewed 30 May 2018

Had to try the paella while in Barcelona, and this looked like a traditional place. The paella was fine, though a bit mushy. Service was adequate, not amazing but our table was not in the front so I think we were one of just a few tables our server had (it was early for Spain), so we got reasonable attention.

Reviewed 27 May 2018

My husband and I had a dinner at Los Toreros last night. Foods were ok but the tall, mid aged waiter who served us sitting next to the entrance, was extremely rude to me. He basically stopped me from saying anything after I ordered a paella to share, kept making some scary sighs and facial expressions. I couldn’t believe he was doing that. I could only think he hates Asian. I happened to be the only Asian in this place last night.

2  Thank YoungJoo M
Reviewed 24 May 2018 via mobile

Food took 45 minutes to arrive. Vegetable paella (marked as suitable for vegans) came with two prawns on top?! Later discovered that the same thing happened to the people next to us. Food was average, nothing special. Ambience was dead. Warning: a lot of bull fighting memorabilia on the walls, (including the head of a bull)- can be quite distasteful and unsettling whilst trying to enjoy your meal. Overall not veggie/vegan friendly.

Reviewed 22 May 2018 via mobile

I came here with a group to celebrate our last night together and it ended up ruining our last night. Some people’s food came no problems, but for some of us they had forgotten our meals. After an hour while people who ordered after us were getting food, we asked questions. Even after this they kept giving what we ordered to the people after us.

After an hour and a half I got my food... but it was not what I ordered! To this they said you can have it or wait another 20 minutes for what was actually ordered.

In frustration I ate it, the paella was ok, but seemed rushed and the rice was hard in the middle.

The staff after this were apologetic about it afterwards but during the rest of the night weren’t very sympathetic and almost ignored the problem. I could tell the waiter wasn’t really listening when taking my order.

Would give this restaurant a miss.