“HONEST REVIEW: of the AlpspiX!”

Aussichtsplattform AlpspiX
Reviewed 17 July 2017

So, I used to live in Garmisch and have also visited multiple times since living there. I have therefore been to/seen the majority of "tourist" attractions there are to see in Garmisch - however I had never before seen the AlpspiX. It was for this reason that I decided to go here on my most recent visit. Now, I have been to the Zugspitze before - twice - and therefore had no real need to go to the AlpspiX for the views (I feel like if you have to pick one or the other, then the Zugspitze is the way to go). But, I more or less wanted to see what the platform was like.

First of all, I had the whole day to myself (and it was a nice day), so I walked all the way to the Alpspitzbahn - a long walk, but nice - but you can take a train from Garmisch if you don't feel like walking. The gondola itself was terrifying - lol! If you don't like heights, don't look down! The views are absolutely amazing, but if your mind wanders, like mine does, then don't freak yourself out by looking. On the plus side, it is a really quick ride though. 10 minutes? If that?

Once you get to the top, there is a self-serve restaurant and various hiking trails. A lot of people take the gondola up and hike down (or vice versa). But this review is specifically about the AlpspiX, and that is all I went up the gondola to see.

The platform is really interesting - literally a big "X" - and there are signs nearby detailing its construction (both in words and pictures). Obviously the big appeal is that the platform is made of grated metal, meaning you can see beneath you. Which, is scary, but at the same time fun. Even more scary? The platform does seem to shake as you walk towards the end!

I actually think the bottom section is scarier, as that is the one where there is nothing beneath you. The top section however, probably has better views. And, on a nice day, great views of Garmisch and the towns behind. This viewing platform is a good alternative if you want to go to the Zugspitze, but notice it is completely clouded up (thus probably hindering any views you would have up there).

Now, as much as I enjoyed crossing the AlpspiX off my list, the only reason I am not giving it 5 stars is because it didn't blow me away as much as the Zugspitze or Partnachklamm did. I enjoyed it. Enjoyed the bottomless appeal of the platform. But, again, now that I crossed it off my list, I don't feel an overwhelming need to return. I would, however, return to the Zugspitze.

I definitely think it is worth a visit, but I can't recommend it above some other attractions in Garmisch. Hopefully that makes sense!

Date of experience: July 2017
in 3 reviews
"structure"
"route"

Reviewed 7 July 2017

Says our 8yr old: "a bit scary, but great". The initial vertigo was quickly fogotten. Stunning views and picture-taking opportunities. Zugspitze was in the clouds while at the AlpspiX the sun was shining.

Date of experience: June 2017
Reviewed 5 June 2017

This extends a few metres out from a great natural viewpoint. The ends are plastic that reflects glare, so you can't really look from there, although you can look over the sides for slightly enhanced views. Otherwise, you just look down to the cliffs for a bit of a spin.

Date of experience: June 2017
Reviewed 26 May 2017

This attraction offers magnificent views of the valley on nice days. Get there early to avoid the rush. Paragliders take off from the slope behind this attraction and there is a small restaurant that offers ok food.
Getting a ticket to the Hochalmbahn is definitely worth it (or at least a hike down to there) as the food is much better and more beautiful views await you.
I would recommend incorporating this into part of a circuit hike. Start at the Kreuzeck and hike up to the Hochalmhütte. From there either hike up or take the bahn up to the Alpspitze and then take the Alpspitzbahn back down into the valley.
The circuit taking the Hochalmbahn up from the restaurant after enjoying a nice meal takes about 3-4 hours if you take it easy. The hike between the Hochalm and Kreuzeck is on a fire-road. No special footwear (close-toed is highly recommended though) is needed, though some parts can be a little steep and might be good to have hiking sticks for some hikers.
The weather can change quickly. I went up last July...it was cool in the valley and sunny, but snowing when I got to the AlpspiX. Keep an eye on the weather forecast and always pack layers and a little water.

Date of experience: July 2016