“Always Excellent”

Brasserie Le Donjon
Reserve with
Brasserie Le Donjon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Been coming here for years but first time dining in the garden. Very nice and cool on this very hot day. The menu is very french however usually a risotto special that always shines. The gambas flambé unfortunately not the freshest and I should have made a different selection but OMG it was over that risotto! Excellent foi gras. Wine list shines. Not for kids please.

Reviewed 1 June 2018

No-nonsense brasserie with good food and wine. Service was attentive and the ambience on the terrace was very pleasant. The salmon was perfectly cooked as was the beef. Try the local Ciutat beer - it's distinctive and tasty!

Reviewed 9 May 2018

It started well. As we had booked online through Fork (La Fourchette) we were given a free glass of muscat each and some olives, which was unexpected. The muscat was sweet and would have gone better with a sweet rather than as an aperitif. But after that it all went downhill fast. We were given a menu in “English” but it might as well have been double Dutch for all the sense it made. I did mention that I didn’t have a menu in French but I was ignored. My partner had soupe a l’oignon, which had cheese on top, but the cheese was overcooked and brown. On top of that, of the 2 tiny bread rolls that were brought as the obligatory pain, one was hard as a rock and inedible. My starter of pate was fine although the accompanying lettuce could have done with some dressing. To make matters worse, the Americans on the table next to us were given a much nicer looking soupe a l’oignon which did not have burnt cheese on the top. My partner’s main course was steak, medium, with chips. Again the chips were burnt and the steak was overdone. The plates were practically thrown on the table, and the waiter gave us no opportunity to say anything. I had confit of duck leg, which was okay I suppose, but stringy, and the potato gratin was burnt! When the waiter offered us a dessert, I told him the chips were burnt and the bread was hard, but got no reply, just the dessert menu thrown at me. I chose cheese, thinking they couldn’t mess that up, and my partner watched the waiter slap bits of cheese, cut with no care, on a board. When he brought it to me with some new bread, I repeated that the roll left from earlier was inedible, and he rudely directed me to the new rolls. Which were burnt. And hard. I told all this to the manager on leaving (and paying €72!) whose only suggestion was that we should have said before we ate it. Well, if we had had the opportunity, we would have done. The whole attitude was one of not caring. They have my money, so they don’t care.

Reviewed 8 May 2018 via mobile

Hearty cassoulet - really enjoyed it. Pork sausage roll was tasty but the skin was oily. Service staff attentive.

Thank Su-Sian N Calvi... N
Reviewed 6 April 2018

As I was part of a large group visiting Carcassonne from a cruise liner, the lunch menu was already fixed. That didn't matter for my favourite dish of the Languedoc i.e. Cassoulet was served after a delicious goat's cheese starter. Local wines were excellent being a perfect partner for the meal. A sweet & coffee rounded things off.
Service was speedy & efficient and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves.
I noticed a substantial a la carte menu and would not hesitate, if the opportunity arose, to return to sample it.