“Very good food! ”

Le Ballon des Ternes
Reserve with
Save up to 40% when you reserve online *
Le Ballon des Ternes is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,883 of 18,567 Restaurants in Paris
Price range: US$35 - US$58
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Batignolles-Monceau
Description: Near Porte Maillot and the Palais des Congres convention center, the Ballon des Ternes is a stylish brasserie known for its French cuisine and variety of seafood. Its offshoot restaurant, the Ballon et Coquillages, invites you to enjoy shellfish seated around a circular bar. The entrance opens onto a large zinc counter while the broad banquettes add a warm touch. Both private rooms upstairs feature the same Art Deco spirit, with chandeliers and stained glass, giving an authentic "Belle Epoque" atmosphere. Efficient service and Parisian charm make the Ballon des Ternes restaurant perfect for both business lunches and romantic dinners. In summer, you can enjoy the many house specialties out in the sun.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We went here by accident and it was raining very hard and it was the closest place to us. Good accident!!
The food was excellent!!
Service was OK, but slow!!
Recommended!!

1  Thank Ola M

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We were very disappointed with Le Ballon des Ternes. Though our food (oyster and crustacean starter platter, duck magret, and lamb) were very good, the service was deplorable. We are English and French speaking, and the waiters and maitre d were condescending and inattentive, and only started being friendly as tip time approached. One of our food orders was incorrect, and a drink order never appeared, and then we were double charged for it (though the waiter did correct the bill promptly when this was brought to his attention).
There are so many other good restaurants in Paris that it is not worth compromising your experience by going to a restaurant that cannot provide both great food AND great service..
Will never go back, nor recommend to others.

1  Thank ACC0836
Reviewed 17 March 2018

I wanted so much to love this place. The décor is fabulous and the menu proposed exactly what this francophile traveler en route to l'Afrique wnated. I had but one evening to spend in Paris this trip, and so thought thought I had struck gold when I came across this traditional brasserie. Mais, comme je me suis trompé! Le problème? The service. The food was great, and I certainly didn't mind paying for the quality. But I'm sorry that a man flying solo can't rack up a tab high enough to make the waitress happy. I had wine, appetizer, and an entrée, but passed on coffee, dessert, and the apéritif. I get that the waitress "lost money" because I took up a table for two and then didn't order as much as she would have liked, but that was no excuse for dropping me like a hot potato, ignoring my repeated attempts to get a check, and then sending someone else over to explain to me with a rude tone that the tip was included but that one could tip more "if you want." Here's the irony: because the food was good and because the waitress was nice when I first ordered, I was all set to tip over and above. Second irony: if I had not had to wait an hour to leave, there was still time to get another set of diners to my table, given that I was one of the first to arrive that evening. I defend France *all the time*, but I have to say that is is experiences like this which give Paris a bad reputation among many Americans. La honte!

1  Thank Phillip M
Reviewed 7 March 2018 via mobile

Let me start with the good. It is an adorable place. Quintessential PAris bistro . Absolutely charming.
Waiter Patrice fabulous. Other waitstaff so so.
On to food . Foie gras not good. Lamb was fabulous and mixed salad wonderful. Tart tartin underwhelming . We had a very nice time . We split app , salad , entree , dessert and bottle of wine €110.

Reviewed 4 March 2018

We purposely choose this restaurant away from the centre This is a bistro in a tradition style which is predominately a fish restaurant. The waiters were friendly and efficient and the place had a Parisian charm about it. Tables had nice white linen tablecloths. We had oysters and also foie gras to start which we shared, followed by sole meuniere which was excellent. What spoilt it was my husband had crème caramel which came as an enormous wedge and totally defeated him.