“Very poor quality”

Cuisines: Thai
Neighbourhood: Bastille / Oberkampf
Neighbourhood: Bastille / Oberkampf
Reviewed 23 June 2017 via mobile

We arrived at the restaurant at 1930 and were the only ones in the restaurant. This was on a Friday night. That should have set off alarm bells. We had eaten here once previously about five years ago and thought it was ok. The waiter was very friendly and we were seated. We started off with the nem. I had the shrimp version and my partner had the pork. Two dipping sauces accompanied the nem. The wrappers consisted of cheap wonton wrappers wrapped three layers deep and then fried past crispy to hard. We had about 80 percent wrapper and the remainder was a bland filling. Some of the worst I have ever eaten.

I then had their version Pad Thai. Things went from bad to worse. While the dish did have all of the usual components it was so over cooked that it was almost mush. Literally. The shrimp were dry and tough. One could barely distinguish bean sprouts from rice noodles. I could only eat about a third of it.

My partner had a bowl of their tom yum gai which she said was only just ok. Not spicy and needing some acidity to balance the coconut milk's sweetness.

At the end of our meal we were still the only patrons. There are many, many wonderful Asian restaurants in Paris but Blue Siam is light years away from that category. Give it a wide berth.

Reviewed 22 April 2017

We went here for dinner last night. We were the only ones in the restaurant for the first hour. The service was great, the food was delicious and we would definitely recommend this restaurant.

1  Thank John J
Reviewed 19 April 2017

I've eaten here maybe 5 times in the past four years, a couple times when we could not get into the nearby Gentile Gourmet vegan restaurant without a reservation. All works well here - quite good food, nice atmosphere and setup, and for its quality the place strangely seems to have relatively few clients. The waiters speak excellent English (as well as French, obviously) and vegetarians and meat-eaters can eat well here. Good prices too.

Reviewed 10 March 2017 via mobile

Very good Thai food in a beautifully decorated space. Service was excellent -- very friendly, prompt, and accommodating. As an extra bonus, the server spoke good English. We had Pad see ew (made with narrow rice noodles, not the thick rice noodles that are usually used), which was quite good. The green curry was very flavorful, but not as spicy as I like. The server provided extra Thai pepper -- problem solved.

Reviewed 2 May 2015

My friends were starving and dug into their large meals, which they seemed to enjoy. I asked for a side of rice, which was delivered in a plastic bag inside a wooden basket. Rather than ask the waiter about the weirdness, I just ate all the rice...