“Good French food”
Review of Cafe Barjot

Cafe Barjot
Reserve with
Save up to 50% when you reserve online *
Cafe Barjot is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5,092 of 19,283 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: European
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Bastille / Oberkampf
Description: café barjot gare de Lyon cuisine française
Reviewed 27 November 2017

I only had one night in Paris and was staying near the Gare de Lyon. I decided to walk around and found this place, not too far from my hotel. It looked warm and inviting so I took a chance and just walked in. I arrived around 7.15 and there was only one other couple but by 7.45 the place was starting to fill up. I had delicious anchovy salad which was as good as any I have had in Spain. They really piled on the anchovies, not just a few pieces. I also had fish for main course and that was also very nice, albeit a bit bland. However, unlike many so called gourmet restaurants, they provide salt and pepper on the table so I could rev up the taste to my liking. I loved the attractive red velvet chairs. They're actually quite narrow but very comfortable. I asked for the fixed menu with entrée and main course and that was more than enough for me. Wouldn't have had room for dessert. Would definitely recommend this place!

Reviewed 20 October 2017

Our visit last week to this splendid traditionally French restaurant with its stained glass windows, art deco lamps and sumptuous red velour seating was definitely another success, we have been many times and never disappointed.

The restaurant is very popular with the local people and the waiters were understanding and helpful with our lack of the language.

The Aubergine on Goats Cheese starter was delicious and creamy, the large piece of white fish cooked to perfection the Ile Flottante with a liqueur in the sauce was scrumptious and a great bottle of white wine to accompany the meal.

There are various set Menus with different prices and the À la carte menu. You can eat well here even on a budget.

Avenue Ledru Rollin is close to Gare de Lyon and Pont d’Austerlitz which is a definite advantage for travellers and we will definitely be going again on our next visit to Paris later this year.

1  Thank margareth700
Reviewed 13 July 2017

Café is beautifully appointed with a really traditional setting. Great food and service. A hidden gem

Reviewed 7 May 2017

It was late and we were hungry trying to find a nice place to eat. Having got off the Batobus near the Austerlitz bridge we ventured onwards unsure that we would find anything other than the usual late night fast food joint and then we saw Cafe Barjot....plush red interior with wonderful wood and glass panels and very friendly staff. The food was simply devine. I had beef with onions and the meat quite literally fell apart. My hubby had the beef bouganou which looked amazing. My choccy dessert round off an excellent meal and although not cheap with wine and coffee still reasonable for Paris. Seriously you must try this lovely little restaurant.

Reviewed 12 September 2016

The Restaurant's owner RUINED MY GIRLFRIEND'S BIRTHDAY (10/9/2016).

I have never written a negative feed-back for a restaurant but today I had to.
I came to Paris exclusively to celebrate my girlfriend's birthday: I come in the week end solely for her. I booked my flight, I bought her my present and a cake in order to celebrate the birthday in the best manner possible (she had never celebrated it before, so doing it in Paris with me would have been special!). In order to make her happy I decided to invite some friends, eat and celebrate with them this important day.
Everything looked perfect, I booked this restaurant, then without saying her anything I asked to a friend to buy me a cake, that had to be shown at the end of the dinner....But, once arrived at the restaurant I asked to the owner if he could keep the cake in order to allow the birthday surprise (I booked a restaurant for her birthday!). The unexpected answer from the owner was: "NO I CAN'T give it to you after dinner".

Astonished I said: "please could you give it to us after dinner, otherwise you would ruin the surprise?".
His answer was a fast and cold: "désolé, je peux pas".

He didn't care at all and didn't propose neither a solution to the discomfort.

At this point I didn't insist anymore, I tried not to show my anger, in order not to affect the further the birthday. But I was really angry.
It was not the first time I asked something similar to a restaurant and I've never received this kind of answer...I payed a lot of money, I spent a lot of time in order to organize everything in detail for a perfect day and the owner of this restaurant had the courage, without reflecting twice to ruin it!

This is for me something unacceptable, even because having studied business, the first thing was taught to me was: the CLIENT is AT THE FIRST PLACE!!

Dear owner, first you have to satisfy your client, then your greediness! And if you have the opportunity to make happy one person without any effort required, in my opinion you should do it.
Fortunately for you, not many people will have the time to read my feed-back and at the same time I will write only this one, instead of asking to write a feedback also to all the friends that came solely to celebrate a ruined birthday party.
I will not come to your place anymore in my life and I hope to not meet anymore an unpleasant person like you.

I am TOTALLY DISAPPOINTED.

5  Thank AndrewPad