Hotel Burdigala(Bordeaux)
  • Room Service
La Maison Cachee(Bordeaux)
  • Restaurant
  • Free Breakfast
All reviewstrain stationcity centreexpress breakfastnespresso machinetravelling by traingare stgave us a maprooms are smallwalk along the riverfriendly hotelfive minute walkexcellent locationmini barold buildingnight staystayed one nightair con
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

A really lovely stay. The staff are amazing. Friendly and welcoming. The room is pleasant. Clean and modern. Everything you need and not as small as other reviews had led us to believe.

We stayed four nights. Breakfast is lovely. Location is great. You can walk over from the station but it doesn’t feel like you’re too close. You can walk to the old town in 15 minutes. The best thing is the tram. The Tram stop is close by and takes you quickly and easily to wherever you want to go. The Bordeaux City pass is superb as it gives you unlimited travel.

Although the hotel itself is lovely, the local noise can make sleeping hard. On our first night music played from a nearby bar until gone 4am. The hotel clearly know there’s a problem as they supply ear plugs in each room.

The other nights were quieter. The noise wouldn’t put me off staying here again. It’s a great little hotel. I would recommend it.

Stayed: June 2018
Sophie M, Directeur général at Best Western Plus Hotel Royal Saint Jean, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear Dave,

I am delighted to read your testimonial and recommendations on our hotel in Bordeaux. You have perfectly understood our desire to do well, we are here to offer you the best experience in the heart of Bordeaux. As you say so, our location allows you to enjoy all the attractions of our beautiful city and to go on excursions quickly thanks to public transport.
I'm glad you enjoyed our breakfast, there is nothing better than sweets in the morning to start the day. Have you tasted our homemade cakes? It's a real delight!
Looking forward to seeing you again in our cozy rooms and to reserve you the same welcome as during your first visit. See you soon

Sophie Moricet Billard
General Manager, hôtel Best Western Royal Saint-Jean
+33 5 56 91 72 16

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We have just stayed for 2 nights in this lovely Best Western, and would definitely recommend it to others. Other reviews on TA had worried us a bit, and we almost changed the hotel because of them...but we found the hotel to be absolutely lovely, modern, very clean, with a delicious healthy breakfast...all perfect. Rooms are compact, but modern and beautifully furnished and equipped, with everything working really well. We had a small balcony which was good to get some fresh air. Rooms are airconditioned. And the location across from the train station can't be beat if you are travelling by train. City sights are walking distance if you are happy to walk, but the metro line is very close if you don't like walking. Reception, breakfast and housekeeping staff were all professional and helpful. We have no hesitation in recommending the hotel, and we would definitely stay again the next time we are in Bordeaux.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jnjcoogee
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We spent 4 nights at this hotel, exploring Bordeaux and were very very satisfied. The room was small, but very well appointed and very clean.The hotel was very pleasant, even if close to the train station- the area around it felt quite safe. It was a bit away from the center of town, but the tram during the day and at night was very convenient, easy to use, and very fast-less than 10 minutes to most areas to discover...The staff was very pleasant, the Director of the hotel herself was very present, attentive to her guests, and very helpful. The breakfast was wonderful, and generous...All in all, value and hotel were great, and we recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Refs09
Reviewed 11 June 2018 via mobile

I do want to try to be positive, so I'll start with the GOOD things about this hotel: Firstly the staff are without exception wonderful; kind, helpful, informative,friendly and amusing. Secondly the water was very hot and finally there were SUB points in our room.

Now I'm afraid that I have some issues to deal with. Our room, number 111 was tiny; I'm sure that there is an EU standard somewhere and that this room meets it but oh my goodness it was minute. My wife and I had to coordinate our breathing if we both wanted to move round it at the same time and there was a desk/shelf thing+two chairs+a case stand to negotiate as well, it was a nightmare. There is no shelf space other than one below the hanging space; there was a very high shelf above the hanging rail which was hard to reach and completely beyond the reach of the cleaning staff as shown by the layer of dust on it. The bathroom was also tiny and had one of those utterly pointless flat hand basins that hold just less than two inches of water before the overflow is reached; a true example of a triumph of design over practicality; on a positive note even a mouse would struggle to drown in it so a high score on the Health and Safety front. And then there's the view from the window, which I've attached below. A horrible broken down wall with conduit and wires going everywhere and several large air conditioning units below working day and night. YUK!

To be fair the hotel was full the whole time we were there but it was also, in my opinion very expensive. I suppose they charge what the market will bear but I'm writing this from two hours South of Bordeaux in a higher star rated hotel in a huge room with a lovely view and where the four nights are £220 cheaper. So Best Western Hotel Royal Saint Jean clearly has a market and serves a purpose, but ill6not be troubling them with my business again.

To be fair

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Sophie M, Directeur général at Best Western Plus Hotel Royal Saint Jean, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2018

Dear Richard,

I am Sophie the director of the establishment and I want to add elements to your comment. You have stayed in a Cozy Comfort room which has been recently renovated and benefits from new bedding, calm and all the necessary amenities for your comfort. I find it unfortunate that you have not mentioned your impressions on the spot because we can unfortunately nothing to do a posteriori of your stay and it is very frustrating for us.
Usually, our customers appreciate our value for money compared to our excellent location and our many services. I will not respond to your remarks about this inconsistent comparison with a colleague.
During your next stay in Bordeaux, do not hesitate to give us your special needs, we can advise you to find the room that really suits you.
Hoping that you will have enjoyed this visit of the Gironde.

Sophie Moricet Billard
General Manager, hôtel Best Western Royal Saint Jean
+33 5 56 91 72 16

Reviewed 4 June 2018 via mobile

After navigating ou way through the perils of a train strike in France we arrived in Bordeaux at 4.00 in the afternoon after standing the whole two hours on the train from Paris after our first train from Lyon. Sophie was extremely helpful as were her colleagues. Any question was meet with a responses and solution. Thank you

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple