“First night out after lockdown”
Review of The Indus

The Indus
Ranked #228 of 624 Restaurants in Doncaster
Description: The legendary Indus restaurant returns at The Grand St Leger Hotel next to Doncaster Racecourse. Fresh Indian food cooked in healthy modern way.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

When the Indus was in Doncaster town centre it was the best. Recently revived in the new location in what was the Grand St Leger Hotel and Restaurant. Staff were very young but also very good. The place itself was a bit dingy and not too clean. The starters we had were all good but the main courses varied. I had Buna and it was good anyone two had Chicken Jalfrezi which was absolutely tasteless something I thought I would never say about an Indian dish. Worst of all the ladies loos were completely blocked and obviously not a nice sight. Ladies had to go to the other side of what is a very large building to use the loo. The excuse was it hadn't been opened for long and they were having teething problems with this loo. The same owners have had this building for years. All in all disappointing.

Date of visit: May 2021
Write a reviewReviews (69)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Now allowed to eat indoors, we booked a table for six. We had to order in advance which was not an issue for us. We had drinks in the bar area before the meal and it was good not to be rushed. The food was fantastic and large portions. The service was excellent and we were not rushed to finish. It took some time for the food to be served but this was good for us as it was more relaxed

1  Thank Crawford49
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Just collected our meal
Beautiful. I have butter king prawn ( spicy) it was amazing. You can tell it was made fresh. My son had jalfrezi Chapati fresh made -5 star

Same again next

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

The worst so called Indian food I have ever had!

Obviously with lockdown we decided to move away from our local curry house and we always used to go to Indus all those years ago when it was in town. We ordered and paid on the phone for a 18:45 collection (was more like 19:00). We ordered what I consider normal Indian food for 2 couples; onion bhaji’s, Kahari kebab, chicken bhuna, prawn Kahari , chicken vindaloo, pilau rice and garlic naan’s.

The onion bhajis were undercooked, Kahari kebab was good but the rest was terrible. The vindaloo was inedible with all 4 pieces of chicken in it (WOW), butter chicken was disgusting and so was the chicken bhuna. Needless to say they all went into the bin and we all commented the was a waste of nearly £65.

Lesson learn’t, stick to what you like, got to say, I have never been to an Indian restaurant in 57 years of eating Indian cuisine that does not cook vindaloo or madras curries. If we had eaten in the restaurant the bill would not of been paid.

1  Thank Si57
Reviewed 16 April 2021 via mobile

Food is excellent. I have worked doing maintenance there and the cleanliness is impeccable. I would really recommend Indus to any one.

Date of visit: April 2021