“5 Star Rip Off”

Alexander House Utopia Spa
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

This place has an unbelievable setting and grounds only to be completely let down by shocking service and attention to detail. 2 stars is being generous only because of the surroundings and I would highly recommend that people avoid this place like the plague for the price.

All reviews
in 4 reviews
"enjoyed our stay"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

This was our 6th visit over the last 6 years. We were a bit disappointed last time we visited but hoped it was a “one off”. Today we were really sorry we gave them another chance.

A very large number of the lockers are faulty. I had to try five before I could lock one.
We booked a private hot tub which was so hot I could only sit in it for 5 mins.
My 40 min massage was only 30 mins.
Service in the restaurant was unbelievably slow throughout the meal, even though we were only one of four tables.
It definitely didn’t feel like a spa day in a 5 star hotel, which it used to.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

All the staff were friendly and welcoming when my daughter and myself arrived for a spa day. There was tea and coffee available before you went down to the spa. We enjoyed the pool, steam room, sauna and jacuzzis.The changing area was clean and tidy with nice hot showers. The relaxation room could do with some improvements. Normally you would expect fruit or herbal teas and water to be available and the room just did not have a relaxing feel at all. No surprise it was empty when we looked in. We both chose a facial for our treatment which were nice. We opted for afternoon tea which was actually served at lunch time. When we sat down we were offered still or sparkling water and then given the tea menu.The food was delicious with a good selection of sandwiches, cakes and scones. One point was that the scones were served with butter and jam. Cream would have been nicer than butter. Our shock came when we had finished and were given a bill for £4.50 for the bottle of sparkling water!! It was £4 for the water and 50p service charge! We have been to several spa and have always been offered complimentary water with our lunch before. I have no idea even of the brand as it was served in a plain bottle. Probably from Aldi after reading another review where the champagne was from there! This let down what was an otherwise a lovely day. I felt completely ripped off and feel it should have been mentioned that there would be a charge when we were offered it.

Reviewed 31 May 2018

Spa day at great expense. The massage was very good but manicure of a very poor standard;. I would not book and pay for this again.The venue and staff are all very nice, but this does not compensate for the high prices. Setting is beautiful.

See more reviews
Reviewed 25 April 2018 via mobile

My friend and I had booked a spa day here which included a facial.
As other people have mentioned, I felt we were left hanging around in the reception area; ( which was fairly crowded) for quite some time. We were then given our lunch and treatment times and asked to fill in our menu choices.
Again; more hanging around whilst we were waiting to be shown around.
We had been informed we couldn’t arrive until 10:00 AM, so by now I feel it’s really eating into our relaxation time, as we had been told our lunch slot was 12:00 AM.
Unfortunately there were problems with the lockers, which you have to manually programme with a PIN.
There was hardly any space in the changing rooms( it’s was also extremely hot) as there was a queue of people unable to access lockers.

This was clearly not the fault of the staff, but once again took another chunk out of our ‘chill time’ .
It took quite a while to resolve this issue , and by the time it was sorted out, we had less than an hour until our lunch.
The facilities however were fine, and I didn’t find it overcrowded as others have mentioned.
Lunch was ok, although the portions were on the small side.
We ordered one side order of chips and one coffee , which cost £10 which I felt was a bit excessive and

Our facials were booked for 4:00 PM which was a bit on the late side, but the girl who did my facial was delightful and I did feel this was a very good treatment.
We bought a couple of products from the spa, but once more it took so long for them to process the payment through the till.
I paid cash for the items I purchased and was informed there was not change in the till so she shortchanged me 3p. I felt like I was being a nuisance for paying in cash.
Just a thought ..... she could have given me a 5p instead?
I think the systems need looking at here, as it is stopping the smooth running of the spa.
It’s hard to blame the staff when they are struggling with things like lockers and tills, and they probably spend quite a bit of time dealing with complaints which stops them providing extra customer service.
I’m not sure I would go back.

1  Thank Teresa B
Sindarmy V, Guest Services Manager at Alexander House Utopia Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2018

Dear Teresa B,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Tripadvisor following your recent spa day at our Utopia Spa.

First and foremost, please allow me to express our sincere apologies for the difficulties you experienced during this particularly visit at the Spa. Please rest assured the difficulties you encountered are not representative of our usual high standard, and necessary actions has been taken to prevent our guests to be inconvenienced again in future.

I am pleased you liked our spa facilities and were satisfied with your treatments.

I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcoming you back and change your opinion of Alexander House.

Kind Regards,