Open today: Closed
Review Highlights
Lovely local activity.

We are local, & incorporated a visit to the steam railway as part of a circular walk in the area... read more

Reviewed 29 August 2021
Jen B
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
via mobile
Unforgettable

Reviewed 1 February 2020
m0nkeymrs
Kent, United Kingdom

Recommended experiences in and around Telford
from US$943.65
More Info
All reviews volunteers tsr ride track children
Selected filters
Reviewed 1 February 2020

We visited the Telford Steam Railway travelling from 3 hours away in December 2019 as a family of 5 (Children aged 10,7 and 5) for the Polar Express... and I am glad we did. We booked premium tickets and were very happy with our choice, our seats were in a lovely carriage and we all received a beautiful Polar Express Mug to take home, every passenger also receives an excellent quality silver bell from Father Christmas. Our children were gripped for the entire train ride, there was always something happening to keep their attention. For me the most telling factor was the interest my 10 year old son, who is on the edge of not beleiving, showed.

The park and ride service was incredibly easy to use and although there was quite a big queue the buses were frequent so the wait wasnt long at all.

Father Christmas himself... I am a Father Christmas snob... but this one, it was him, the real Father Christmas, real beard, good interation lovely outfit. 10/10

We were sat beside a retired couple who made the journey alone, they were having the best time and made our evening all the more pleasurable.

Just a couple of niggles from me, I think the experience would have benefitted from being 10-15 minutes longer, The conductor who had to hole punch everyones tickerts whilst attentive and in character seemed very stressed and kept looking around as if he was checking he had enough time. The same for Father Christmas. The kids didnt notice but as parents I wanted it to slow down just a fraction. Also the "magician" entertaining before the trains cheapened the experience in my opinion... would have been happy to have a big screen showing a section of the movie.

Its unlikely we will return but only because we like to try new things, but I have an will recemmond you to others.

1  Thank m0nkeymrs
Reviewed 24 January 2020

I have visited twice, once for prosecco afternoon tea and a screening of Brief encounter and once for Polar express ,both were utterly brilliant . Love the former , great afternon tea , well thought out experience. Polar expresswas simply magical , the grandkids loved it and as for myself , i will remember the experience forever, loved it !!

4  Thank Angela B
Reviewed 18 January 2020 via mobile

Went with my grandchildren in November, polar express it was amazing. Definitely recommend
I cannot wait for this year 2020

Date of experience: November 2019
1  Thank LorraineP480
Reviewed 12 January 2020 via mobile

The Polar Express - a review by Evie age 10

On Sunday 22nd December I visited the polar express experience at Telford railway. The polar express is a train ride/show which follows the story of the film.

On arriving at the station platform everything was set up. The little boy was asleep in his pyjamas in his bedroom-you could look in through his window to see him. It started to snow, and we heard the train arriving as the train pulled in the waiting staff and driver were all waving at us. The conductor got off the train and woke the boy ready for the journey to the north pole.

It was time for us all to board. Each carriage was named after a reindeer (ours was Rudolph). Once aboard the train we took our seats, the carriage was decorated with lanterns, bells and Christmas decorations. This is where the show begins with singing and dancing. The waiting staff came dancing up and down the carriages, there was music and singing. The conductor came through the carriages to stamp our tickets with our initial-just like in the book and film. We were served hot chocolate and cookies on our journey to the north pole to find Santa. There was more singing and dancing, with the passengers joining in. the hobo ghost came through the carriages scaring us.

eventually we found Santa and he boarded the train. Everybody got a bell, but you can only hear it if you believe…

the polar express ride was magical. It got us all into the Christmas spirit and everybody got involved in the singing and dancing. I liked how the whole thing followed the book and film. I also liked how different it was to going to a show at a theatre. we really felt like part of the show, I liked how we had to get involved (me and my friend wore matching elf pyjamas). It was so fun. I liked all of the characters especially the conductor and the ghost who really was quite scary. I also liked the effects of the northern light as we travelled through a tunnel. The only thing I think could’ve been better was if we would’ve visited at night as the lights would’ve lit up the train and made iteven more magical I have learnt that a good show doesn’t have to be In a theatre something much smaller can be just as good or even better!!!

3  Thank 875nikkia
Reviewed 4 January 2020

We been here twice now on the Polar express and I highly recommend. So friendly and so much fun. Seasonal staff were brilliant and the atmosphere was electrifying

Date of experience: November 2019