“Excellent as always!”

Restaurant Gemelles
Ranked #80 of 461 Restaurants in Galway
Price range: US$7 - US$35
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Gemelle's Restauarant is a family run restauarant situated on Quay Street, in the heart of Galway's Latin Quarter. Serving food 7 days a week, both lunch and dinner, and brunch on Sundays - Gemelle's restaurant is a must. Serving a mix of European styled cuisines Restaurant Gemelle's opens daily serving local food at great affordable prices with daily changing specials. Paulie Donnellan, the owner and head chef of Gemelles is a local Galway businessman who opened his first restaurant in Middle Street. To celebrate the birth of his twin daughters Paulie moved to Quay Street in 1998 and renamed the restaurant Gemelles – Italian for twins. Born and reared in Galway, Paulie has seen many changes in the city, however, community spirit has always loomed large in his business ethics. Paulie has vowed to support small local businesses in the food and drink industry.
Reviewed 13 December 2020

As soon as we were able to, I managed to book a table at Gemelle's for our anniversary dinner. The setup for a restaurant of its size is excellently arranged. Sturdy partitions are in place and are see through so you don't feel like you are boxed in at your table.

The staff were friendly and efficient, and our food was out in really good time. The black pudding bon bons as starter were delicious, and the steak is always great there and last night was no exception.

Hoping to see them extend their menu again to bring on even more firm favourites like the Creme Brulee.

Thanks again for a lovely experience!

Date of visit: December 2020
Write a reviewReviews (569)

Reviewed 11 November 2020

I visited Gamelles on the 8th of August 2020... I looked at the menu and all that appealed to me was the beef burger that was on the specials board..... My boyfriend and I chatted away as we ate our meals and then I got a sudden severe pain in my tooth... I spat out what was in my mouth to find that there was a bit that resembled bone.... my tooth was in excruciating pain but I just ignored it. months went on and roughly twice a month id get pain in this tooth that caused me to be up at night crying. Last week this pain spread to my jaw and ear and would not go away.... so I visited the doctor and discovered that I had gotten not only a tooth infection but an infection of my jaw bone and I was advised by the doctor to visit my dentist. The dentist took x-rays of my tooth and discovered that I had a hairline crack through my tooth which was caused by the burger in Gamelles and bacteria had gotten in through this crack and completely decayed the inside of my tooth so i needed to get it pulled. Between doctors, dentists, antibiotics, and the extreme price of this restaurant that burger in Gamelles has cost me over 400 euro..... so to conclude do not get the burger :(

Reviewed 13 October 2020 via mobile

The food here used to be delicious I got the steak which was supermarket quality and even the chips were terrible. Staff are very inattentive and playing on phones all the time and restaurant was dirty table smelt like a dirty cloth. The menu is limited now as it is trying to turn into a brunch spot and the brunch menu is mediocre food. There are too many brunch spots in Galway with a lot higher quality.

Date of visit: September 2020
1  Thank ivan3b
Reviewed 2 September 2020 via mobile

One of my favorite restaurants in Galway city. Located at the end of shop street close to the Spanish Arch. We had a lovely table in the corner, social distancing was achieved with Perspex screens hanging from the ceilings! The specials menu was fantastic and we ended up making all our choices off it. We love the variety of wine from the barrel, the staff are happy for you to try a taste prior to choosing a glass or bottle. Overall another really enjoyable Dining experience with great food and friendly service.

2  Thank LeisureGuy32
Reviewed 23 August 2020

Excellent food and very generous portions. For the quality of the food the bill was very reasonable.
A family week in Galway and this was the best meal we had.