All reviewsfagan's pubwonderful hostsirish breakfastcity centrequiet residential streethome away from homedrumcondra roadbotanic gardensirish hospitalitybus stopstayed two nightsthe ground floorsized bedeach morningfresh fruita wonderful staylong weekend
Reviewed 20 December 2017 via mobile

Some friends and I stayed in Avoca House for a long weekend in December. We stayed in the only room with 3 beds (a double and 2 twins). The room was tidy and up to date, and decently sized, by European standards. It would fit a couple and 2 kids nicely. The shower was small (I'm petite and slim, and even I kept bumping my elbows) but the owner said he was planning on replacing it in January. My only complaint was that didn't have face clothes to wash up with.

Breakfast was a standard Irish breakfast: a choice of eggs (scramble or fried), sausage, bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes, and toast. There was also cereal and fruit available to self-serve. The food wasn't fantastic, but it wasn't terrible either and we were all satisfied and full. The service was very good. Coffee and fresh juice were provided each morning ad well.

All in all, I highly recommend this B&B, it was about 15 minutes outside the city. There's a bus stop a short walk away or the owners can call you a cab. It was reasonably priced, especially split 3 ways between my friends and me.

You won't regret booking if you're looking for a good price, a comfy bed, decent food and just a short ride to the city.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 December 2017 via mobile

Stayed here with my fiancée mid dec 2017. The room was lovely just what we needed. Very clean, massive bed and own bathroom with all facilities you could need. Hosts were very friendly and the breakfast was one of the nicest we have had. Close to town centre about 20 mins on bus or 15 mins in the car and they kindly allowed us to park on the drive. No hesitation in recommending.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 November 2017 via mobile

We stayed at Avoca House for two nights in November, whilst visiting Dublin for the weekend. Having had a look on booking.com prior to our visit, we opted for this location just North of the city centre, as the price difference was quite significant.

We arrived around lunchtime and Jack greeted us (along with Chili & Peanut the dogs!), where we were shown to our room on the 1st floor. I’d like to say how accommodating Jack is as a host, very attentive and happy to help with anything.

The room itself was of a good size, the en-suite and toilet were separate and a little small, but this wasn’t a huge issue. There was a TV, along with USB charging ports and free WiFi throughout the house. The property is located on a quiet residential street, the walk to the main road is around 5 - 7 minutes. There are regular buses into the centre of Dublin, which typically take around 15 minutes. We purchased a 3 day pass, allowing unlimited use of Dublin Buses, which was recommended.

Also on the main road, is a lovely pub called Fanagans. We had several drinks and a meal here, so well worth dropping in if you have time!

We did hear some minimal noise overnight and early morning, but again this wasn’t excessive.

Breakfast is served downstairs and consists of cereal, fresh fruit and an Irish cooked option. The food was good quality and certainly kept us going throughout the day!

If we return to Dublin I wouldn’t hesitate to book here, thank you Jack & Audrey!

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2017 via mobile

We are enjoying our visit to Dublin very much, and Avoca House is a perfect place for a single traveler or a couple. Very quiet, with a very amiable host, Jack, who makes every effort to accommodate. Lovely breakfast room, delicious food! Taxi to downtown is about 9 euro, where we took the yellow CitiScape hop-on, hop-off bus all around the city.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 July 2017

My wife and I stayed here for a night before catching an early flight. Our host was incredibly accommodating, offered to let us park our car in his driveway, recommended good restaurants nearby, and stayed up to allow our late arrival. Our room had everything we needed.

Room Tip: Great spot out of the hustle and bustle
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo