All reviews an excellent host steak pool room friendly locals cooked to perfection pub food excellent stay very pleasant stay recommend this hotel starters wedding inverness
Reviewed 7 June 2018 via mobile

Owned and operated by a local nairn lad who's knowledge of Nairn can help any visitors to his hotel/pub get the most out of their stat in Nairn. This is not a chain ..even though named a hotel it's also a
Very friendly pub with pub food or separate conservatory for customers eating ..I've eaten here a few times now and never been disappointed from curry and pint night or steak night or from the menu you will enjoy what the chef has to offer ...
Sometimes there is live music on .best asking before hand if this is what your after ..
But if you want a good local pub very friendly and laid back and relaxed with 8 new benches outside in the lovely grounds for when the sun shines then this place is for you oh aye and I forgot family friendly children welcome until about 9pmi think ..i also have seen well behaved dogs allowed then please go here ..if you want a witherspoons or a banging place then this isn't for you ..chilled ... friendly . Local.. great food...and local knowledgeable staff ..is the westerlea hotel/pub

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 February 2018 via mobile

I was staying in Starthpeffer, and popped through to meet up with a friend who lives in Nairn.
She recommended having lunch at this restaurant.
I ordered the Homemade Lasagne of the lunchtime menu, whilst my friend ordered the steak of the main menu.
My Lasagne was £8.50, from what I can remember, but as my friend paid for lunch, I don't know how much her steak cost!!
When it arrived, my Lasagne was cooked to perfection in it's own ceramic dish. The meal also included fantastic potato wedges, a large side salad and two slices of garlic bread!
Whilst tucking into my meal, my friend happened to mention that chef was her Nephew!!
Now I am hoping that my portion was normal size, and had not been "added to" because his Aunt was eating with her friend! But suffice to say, I was stuffed!!
Drink prices were unknown, as my friend paid for the bill, but as it was a Pub, I would suggest that they were normal ones!!
Definitely worth visiting, and I would thoroughly recommend their Lasagne!!

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 December 2017

Came for a meal on the 12th December for over 20 people for our annual christmas meal. The food was delicious and the service was absolutely fantastic and the waitresses couldn’t do more to help us and made us all feel very welcoming and were so abliging would definitely recommend it to anyone else and will definitely be back. The service was more than welcoming and the food was fantastic. S.Grant

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 December 2017

Honestly I really enjoyed the food, well I enjoyed it up until the question of whether or not I was using clean cutlery was questioned!

When the server was clearing away our main course she asked for everyone’s cutlery that had not been used - even though they hadn’t been used we had definitely touched them over the course of them sitting on the table - and then said “good I won’t have to polish these” and put them into her pocket. After that a good few of us at the table I was seated at (where we were seated was lovely and warm by the way!) were reluctant to eat our desert even though it looked wonderful! What if the cutlery that was on the table for us to use went through the same treatment as what we had just witnessed? The same rigmarole happened after desert too which cemented the idea that this happens often and wasn’t just a one off ocassion or a some type of ill fitting joke she was trying to make. Also, to continue my rant, when she was clearing away our courses she dumped all the plates next to where I was sitting and proceeded to ask me to move my belongings out of the way so she could scrape all the food from everyone else’s plate onto one right next to me which was entirely off putting and not something I thought would happen at a nice hotel. She also made a stupid comment about how when food fell on her that was the only way she got to taste it! Ugh, she also left the napkin she used to clean a stack of dessert dishes up so could pick them up without getting food on herself at the table and didn’t take it away. Luckily a lady I was sitting next to gingerly put it on the water table.

I guess all I really want to make sure, is the cutlery we used clean and will the next lot of people’s also be clean?

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends
Chris R, Owner at Westerlea Hotel Nairn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2017

Thanks for your review.
I am glad you enjoyed your meal with us although the service was not up to our usual high standard. Firstly, although misconstrued otherwise I can assure you that any unused cutlery taken from a table is washed then polished before being reused.
Secondly, regarding the stacking of plates at the end of your table, I believe your fellow diners started to pass the plates towards the end of the table while our waitresses were still clearing the other table so plates were gathering before we had a chance to clear your table properly, I understand this may look unsightly close to where you were sitting but it was dealt with as soon as the first table was clear.
Last, but not least, our staff have tasted every dish on our menu so the remark about "food falling on her was the only way she got to taste food" should not have been said.
I can only apologise for your less than satisfactory experience with us and hope you don't write us off completely and try us again in the new year.

Kindest regards and have a good Christmas

Chris

Reviewed 7 December 2017

Thank you Chris and your team for an excellent meal this evening. Everyone enjoyed their meal which was perfectly cooked . We had a choice of three starters , four main courses and four sweets. Also a good selection for those who are gluten free. It was nice to be met on the doorstep and the dining room was perfect for us. There were 17 of us there and everything was done to ensure we had an excellent evening. Would thoroughly recommend.

Stayed: December 2017
1  Thank FeeNairn

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our page.
We are glad you enjoyed your Pre-Christmas meal with us and hope to see you again soon.