“Formidales”

Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Reviewed 31 May 2018

I've probably spelt that wrong but so hat? I love French food, and this place does it justice and more. The menu is extensive, the wine cellar cultivated and the staff courteous and friendly. Want French, look no further.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,592)

Reviewed 30 May 2018 via mobile

It’s one I keep going back to. Very authentic French feel with very friendly French waiters. In true French style the menu is kept small with simple meals cooked fantastically well. Pretty sure I’ve eaten my way through the menu over my numerous visits and can’t fault a single dish. In the summer seating is available out on the Grassmarket which is a great atmosphere.
The food is not expensive and the plat du jour offer at lunchtime and early evening is a very good deal.

Reviewed 29 May 2018

Even better on my second time here - On my first trip to Edinburgh I ate here three times because as a single traveller staying nearby it really suited me. French staff, French cooking even cheaper in the early evening. I just liked it here because I felt comfortable and the food and wine was tasty.

Reviewed 23 May 2018

All that’s missing is French conversation and the smell of Gauloises!

My wife and I entertained two of her relatives here one lunchtime. It was packed, just like a good bistro in Paris, the plate du jour was well cooked, well presented, well priced and very well received. Service was prompt and attentive without being intrusive and we, at no time, felt we were being rushed. All in all a very good experience and would love to return next time we are in Edinburgh.

Don’t get carried away, it’s a Bistro, so don’t expect Michelin style food, think French provincial and you will not be disappointed.

Reviewed 20 May 2018

The food was excellent and we would've payed full price, but they have this great deal where you get an app, entree, and coffee for 15 pounds before 7 PM. Endless bread, really great (and cheap!) house wine, and the food was really really excellent. If you're craving french food, this is the perfect little authentic spot. The staff was super friendly, and they atmosphere is unbeatable. Really does feel like a little Paris.