“Excellent service, mindblowing food”

Kalpna Vegan and Vegetarian Restaurant
Ranked #530 of 2,784 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: US$8 - US$25
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Southside & Holyrood
Description: Open since 1975, Kalpna Indian Vegan and Vegetarian Restaurant stands as one of Edinburgh’s most established Institution. During this time it has won several awards for excellence in Indian and Vegan and Vegetarian categories. In our dishes we use only the freshest ingredients, which, wherever possible we have sourced locally. We have a new look but have kept many of the much loved favourites from our old menu. We remain a family run restaurant serving high quality Indian vegan and vegetarian food to the people of Scotland for over a quarter of a century and many of our customers have been visiting the restaurant since their childhood. The restaurant is often referred to as an institution rather than a Restaurant. The owner is passionate about vegetarian and vegan lifestyle and our family is dedicated to introducing people to the pleasures of Indian vegetarian food. The chefs at Kalpna draw on their vast experience in Punjabi, Gujrati and South Indian delicacies.
Reviewed 29 June 2018

I have been greeted and served by impeccable staff, which sets the franework for the rest of the evening. I had a mindblowing Thaali Raj Bhog, which essentially is a generous ensemble of several dishes. One of the best meals I had in my life. Very much recommended

Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

Wonderful flavoursome food as always. Lovely friendly waiter - but service slow. Could live with that but served another table’s starter then same mistake again. Follow up drink order not added to our bill. We were honest. Rewarded not only with the price of additional drinks but a sneaky optional 10% service charge - not on first bill btw. Come on Kaplna, what’s going on?

2  Thank shonaLJ
Reviewed 26 June 2018

Partook of a tuesday buffet and was impressed by the quality and consistency of what was served - bhajjis, bondas, a variety of dips, dhal, rice and two curried vegetables. Everything was made with no excess oil. The spices were well balanced and the taste was above-average. Well appointed restaurant.

1  Thank Crispus12
Reviewed 20 June 2018 via mobile

Very good food! I went without reservation so I had to wait for 10-15 min to get place but staff was quite supportive.

Reviewed 18 June 2018 via mobile

I planned my family dinner today at Kalpana Indian restaurant. I reserved my table for 7:30 to 8:00 o’clock. When I reached there they already gave my table to other. Never mind I compromise that and had another table in front which doesn’t suit me. We order our food till now every thing was ok. Food came it was horrible proper rubbish. I found stone in my curry. I made a complaint to one of the waiter who think his job is to take order not to clear plates from table because we finished our stater but now one came to clear our table,one whome I made complaint came four to five time near our table and he saw our table but was waiting for someone else to clear.
He came and made excuses that stone might be in spice
Sorry. That was it.
Service totally rubbish.
Food total waste of money.
“Never ever try” highly recommend!!!!!
Advices for owner :
Get rid off front staff and get proper team for front.
Give some sort of tranning to your staff about your service and facilities. They don’t know you have baby changing room or table in washroom.

Thank you it was nice experience for next time.
No hard feelings