“Not worth it! ”

Price range: US$12 - US$26
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: New Town
Description: JAMIE'S ITALIAN EDINBURGH A partnership between Jamie Oliver and his Italian mentor, chef Gennaro Contaldo, Jamie's Italianhas won thousands of fans for its delicious and affordable food since launching their first restaurant in Oxford in May 2008. The Jamie's Italian menu is based on dishes you'd find people eating all over Italy, made with care but delivered without fuss. The family-friendly restaurants are all about serving up rustic, Italian food made using the best possible ingredients, plus fresh pasta that's made on-site every day, and an award-winning children's menu, too. The spectacular Edinburgh restaurant is housed in the former supper halls of the Assembly Rooms on George Street, in Edinburgh's city centre. Perhaps their most elegant restaurant - grand ceilings, impressive cornicing and scarlet walls, teamed with red velvet chairs and chandeliers, make Jamie's Italian in Edinburgh an amazing spot for a special night out. The central location means it's easy to drop in at any time of the day or evening too.
Reviewed 29 June 2018 via mobile

My wife and I were really excited to try this restaurant. Although we’re not massive fans of Jamie Oliver himself, you would have thought he could put a decent menu together. As soon as we walked in the door, we were impressed that it noted the pasta was handmade each day. After now tasting the pasta, I personally would be embarrassed to advertise that. Secondly, they got our drink order wrong, and then argued that it was correct. Thirdly, the service was atrocious, I just want to point out that this may not be the same for everyone, but our server was slow and inattentive. I will say that the restaurant space and ambiance itself is beautiful, and the chandeliers and ceilings make the space very romantic. However, for the price you pay, I would not recommend this restaurant to any friend.

Victor Z, Manager at Jamie's Italian, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2018

Hello Chris,

Thank You for taking Your time to write a review about Your recent visit in Jamie's Italian Edinburgh . Firstly let me apologise about Your evening with us and that You have not enjoyed Your evening at the fullest since we strive for best food and experience. If You wish to contact me on victor.zalatorius@jamiesitalian.com we could discuss Your visit in detail .

Warm regards,

Victor Z

Write a ReviewReviews (4,495)

Reviewed 28 June 2018

I have been to Jamie's Italian before, at Gatwick airport, and that was a good experience - good food, good service. This experience was a shock; I knew this chain of restaurants has been in trouble recently, and now I can see why. Chose the set menu for dinner, starter AND main arrived at the same time! What on earth is going on? Tagliatelle was beyond al dente; simple not cooked properly and the sauce was super bland. Certainly wasn't expecting to cook a better pasta dish at home, and I'm not exactly a great cook. Needless to say I will not be going again.

Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

This is the 2nd visit to a jaimes italian went before in london and it was awful. Thought we would give it another go in edingburgh as my daughter wanted to try. Lovely building. We were shown tothe bar while waiting for our table. Lovely bar man chatty and knowledgable made us a lovely cocktail. Then shown to our table by a lovely bubbly waitress. I ordered carbonara as felt they couldnt really get that wrong ! Oh dear!!! They can get it wrong. Under cooked pasta jn a watery sauce with 3 bits of pancetta that i could find!!! I asked the waitress to return it with my comments and was told thst this hsppens a lot as its so watery. The supervisor came over and i was told this is their recipe so did i wsnt something else! Sorry but the last time i watched jaime oliver he put cream cheese eggs and lots of Pancetta!!! I didnt order anything else as dont think it would be any better. Pretty arrogant awful attitude of the chef if lots of people are telling you its awful change it. Unfortunately people will keep going because of the name above the door. Waitress was shocked we tipped her but she was lovely and she was clearly embarrassed at serving the dishes.

1  Thank Bev M
Janka J, Manager at Jamie's Italian, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2018

Hi Bev,

Thank you for taking your time to write a review. I am very sorry to hear you have left feeling rather underwhelmed after your recent meal at Jamie`s. I would love to discuss your feedback in more detail, therefor please contact me on janka.jakubekova@jamiesitalian.com. I hope to hear from you soon!

Many thanks,
JJ

Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

We walked past Jamie’s Italian earlier in the day noting it as one of the places we could go to dinner after hearing about the history of the building, we decided to give it a try. We are so glad we did!
We started with bread and an order of meatballs, so delicious. My main course was spinach and mozzarella ravioli . The ravioli with the spinach mixture inside was so flavorful. My husband had pork Milanese, he said the fried egg in top was a nice touch.
We ate outside because it felt warm near the kitchen. Every single member of the staff was kind and gracious. A terrific experience!

Kristyna C, Manager at Jamie's Italian, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2018

Dear Sheila,

Thank you very much for taking time to write such a lovely review of Jamie's Italian Edinburgh. I am really happy to hear you enjoyed your food and took the full advantage of our outside area during this extraordinary hot weather. It makes me proud to read your feedback and I will definitely pass your kind words onto the rest of our team. We all will be hoping to see you back to our restaurant soon!

With Best Wishes,

Kristyna

Reviewed 26 June 2018 via mobile

Visited here today on Groupon deal with my mum. The deal itself wasn't that much cheaper than the set meal and you had to choose from a different set menu.
There was however ample choices. Started off with the pate bruschetta and the tomato bruschetta. Both were tasty. Then my mum had the salmon pasta and I the pesto pasta. Good portions however had to add seasoning as found them bland.
Wine prices for a glass are expensive so we opted for a bottle which was lovely. Then finished off with cappuccino which was the highlight of the meal I'm sad to say.
When Jamie Oliver's name is attached to an eatery you expect something wow and this did not wow me at all. Was pretty average and have visited better. The meal was good value and the staff were attentive and polite.
However I don't think I would return.

Janka J, Manager at Jamie's Italian, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2018

Hi there,

Thank you for taking your time to review your recent visit to Jamie`s. I am pleased to hear you thought our team was polite and helpful and your money was well spent. Our Jamie`s Favourites menu is very similar to the Groupon one when it comes to the selection of dishes. However, this menu is only valid Monday-Friday between 12pm and 7pm. This makes Groupon an excellent choice especially when you are planning to come in the evening.
I was sorry to hear your pasta was not seasoned up to your taste. However, I am glad you really enjoyed your bruschetta starters and the wine.

With best wishes,