“A night out to remember”
Review of Jamie's Italian

Jamie's Italian
Ranked #926 of 2,731 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: US$11 - US$26
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: New Town
Description: JAMIE'S ITALIAN EDINBURGH A partnership between Jamie Oliver and his Italian mentor, chef Gennaro Contaldo, Jamie's Italianhas won thousands of fans for its delicious and affordable food since launching their first restaurant in Oxford in May 2008. The Jamie's Italian menu is based on dishes you'd find people eating all over Italy, made with care but delivered without fuss. The family-friendly restaurants are all about serving up rustic, Italian food made using the best possible ingredients, plus fresh pasta that's made on-site every day, and an award-winning children's menu, too. The spectacular Edinburgh restaurant is housed in the former supper halls of the Assembly Rooms on George Street, in Edinburgh's city centre. Perhaps their most elegant restaurant - grand ceilings, impressive cornicing and scarlet walls, teamed with red velvet chairs and chandeliers, make Jamie's Italian in Edinburgh an amazing spot for a special night out. The central location means it's easy to drop in at any time of the day or evening too.
Reviewed 31 May 2018 via mobile

Me and my wife have nothing else to say apart from what else do u expect from Jamie Oliver 5 stars all round!

Kristyna C, Manager at Jamie's Italian, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2018

Dear Joe,

Thank you for taking time to write a review of Jamie's Italian Edinburgh. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your visit at our restaurant and that we created some nice memories. I will pass your kind feedback onto the rest of our team and will be looking forward seeing you back to our restaurant.

With Best Regards,

Kristyna

Write a ReviewReviews (4,422)

Reviewed 30 May 2018 via mobile

Amazing dinner.We allowed our fabulous server Yilmaz to guide us to a fantastic choice- unparalleled service - the food was pretty good as well!

Dear Vanessa,

Thank you for taking time to write such a lovely review. I am really happy and proud to hear Yilmaz made your visit special and memorable. I am happy you enjoyed your dinner and I really hope we will see you back to our restaurant soon!

Reviewed 29 May 2018

My husband and I dined at Jamie's during our vacation in May 2018 in Edinburgh two times. The first time we sat close to the kitchen prep area. Not the best of tables but it was ok. I ordered the spaghetti and meatballs with an arugula salad my husband ordered a pasta dish as well. We liked the salad a lot. He kind of enjoyed his meal. Not so much for me. The meatballs were awful. The spaghetti was just ok. No complimentary bread at the table and they charge for water. Not use to that coming from the US. Seems like most restaurants in Scotland do the same. No biggie.
The next time we dined at Jamie's we told the seating person two for dinner. Tables were empty on both floors. But the worker had us wait a good 20 minutes for a "table to open up". I'm looking around and was confused because there were many tables open to sit at. But we go to the bar and order drinks and an appy. 20 minutes later they seat us in the bar area at a table that was open the whole time we were waiting. I have no idea what the issue was. By then our appetizer of fried ravioli came. YUCK I sampled one and that was enough for me. Husband ate the rest. This time we ordered lasagna and a burger. Now I have been to three other restaurants and tried the burger and disliked them all. I figure Jamie's is a gourmet chef, he MUST know how to prepare and cook a good burger. Nope, wrong again. Maybe it's the UK, but all four restaurants cooked the burger too much that it was dry, no juiceness, hocky puck consistency. Or maybe it is the way they raise the cattle. I will not attempt to have burgers in the UK again. My husband is a lasagna loving man. He was disappointed in the serving size and taste. We gave this place a try two times and I was not impressed at all. So much for gourmet chef quality. I would not and will not dine at a Jamie's anywhere. Poor tasting food, higher than average in price, staff that can't seat people promptly. I really was hoping for a good meal. But that didn't happen, sadly.

Kristyna C, Manager at Jamie's Italian, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2018

Dear Linda,

Thank you for your review. I am afraid by law we cook all burgers well done, meaning above 75 degrees Celsias, in the whole UK. I personally love all the dishes you mentioned and I would recommend them to any guest at any time, so it clearly was not up to your taste which I am sorry for. We do charge for bottled water but you can always ask for tap water which is always for free. I am really sorry you were waiting for a table but even tables were empty, restaurant may have been fully booked and we always prioritise reservations. I will make sure to pass your comments onto the kitchen management.

Reviewed 29 May 2018 via mobile

I ate here with my partner on a trip to Edinburgh. For starters we had calamari and truffle pasta, both were very nice cooked well and tasty. For mains we went for Jamie’s steak tagliata. DO NOT get this, the meat quality is awful, my partner has had steak frites from Jamie’s before and is excellent. We told a waitress who said she could bring something else over. We chose carbonara thinking it would be quick- it took 30 minutes more and the pasta was undercooked, thick and stodgy. The waitress was more than helpful sorting it out, however I will not be returning to an Italian that can’t cook Carbonara.

Dear Chris,

Thank you for taking time to write a review of Jamie's Italian Edinburgh. I am really sorry to hear you did not enjoy our Carbonara or the steak. We source our meat from the best suppliers and the quality is very high, perhaps not just to your liking. All our pasta is made fresh every day and cooked al dente, Carbonara is a beloved dish among our customers and I feel most sorry you did not enjoy it.
I will make sure to pass your feedback onto the rest of our team.

Best Wishes,

Reviewed 29 May 2018

Having heard mixed reviews we went not expecting to be impressed.
We had the £49.50 menu.... 3 courses plus a glass of prosseco for two.
The menu wax limited. 4 or 5 choices per course.
The food was very tasty. The service very attentive.
Would definately return.

Dear John,

Thank you very much for taking time to write such a lovely review of Jamie's Italian Edinburgh. I am really happy to hear you enjoyed your meal and the service at our restaurant and we will hopefully see you back soon! Our Ala carte menu offers wide range of dishes and is beautifully designed for summer time and I am sure you won't be disappointed.