All reviews train station the penthouse jacuzzi bath travelling by train executive room christmas party car park hotel bar central location would stay again bars and restaurants rebecca iron ncp wind gower
Reviewed 28 May 2018 via mobile

Came down to the Gower for the day and as the weather was great, decided to stay overnight. Saw the hotel had availability on booking.com and went to see what it was like. First impressions from hotel exterior not great, next to the railway station on a busy road and had almost decided to not go in. So glad we did, we were greeted by Matthew the manager who showed us the room and was very helpful. We stayed in a room on 4th floor which was lovely & spacious and had a hot tub on the balcony, a great bonus after a hot day of walking the coastal path. And to top,it all Ed Sheeran had stayed in the room the night before for the BBC big event in Swansea! Breakfast was a la carte hot option with usual cold buffet continental. Reasonable £10 per person and very nice. Parking was in a council car park nearby for £5 for 24 hours but as it was a bank holiday was free! All in all a wonderful impromptu break and would highly recommend the hotel.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank R M
Reviewed 27 May 2018 via mobile

Coffee tasted nice but it wasn’t presented very well, 3/4 full and not very warm.
Ordered 2 tuna banquettes which arrived with no serviettes and no cutlery, and a horrible processed cheese melted all over it. I’d asked for Tuna salad.
The tables were all dirty and unclean outside and was very awkward to walk past with coffees as you had to push them in with people sitting on them.
Very dissatisfied, won’t be visiting again!

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Cymrubwl
Reviewed 27 May 2018

Stayed for one night while visiting friends in Swansea and one night was definitely enough. The hotel is undergoing some renovation but still feels very tired and in need of further updates. The room was clean but very basic and it was really noisy the night that we stayed. The one real positive is that it is right opposite the train station.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jo_lawre
Reviewed 23 May 2018 via mobile

Booked the grand hotel last min on a Friday night had a great price for a standard room got to the hotel at 9.40pm was greeted buy a lovely gent named Simon who checked me in very quick but professional was told my room number 405 and shown to the lift got up 2 the 4th floor to see a sign for Executive floor at the this point I was excited got 2 the room 2 open the door 2 a immaculate spacious room with a queen size bed and robe and slippers free to use then I seen the Jacuzzi bath I was overwhelmed how fantastic the room I was so thrilled I Evan orderd breakfast at my room the next morning I could not have thanked the lady when I checked out for the night stay I didn't want to leave. Thank you grand hotel I will be back to stay again hopefully more than 1 night I stayed on the 18.05.18

Mr M Jones

Stayed: May 2018, travelled solo
2  Thank Matthewjones85
Reviewed 21 May 2018

Pros:

Very spacious room. We stayed in a room with three single beds. The room was very airy and felt ‘grand’.

Clean, large elegant bathroom. A touch of luxury. Marble (or marble effect) walls and floor, plenty of space, powerful shower and clean sinks, bath and toilet.

Firm, comfortable good size beds. No issues here. Firm, but not hard beds with good all round support. Clean.

Wifi. At no extra cost and very fast.

Friendly and helpful staff. We asked for extra shampoo bottles, they were delivered to us hastily.

Location. Right by the station and not too far away from the centre of the city.

Cons:

Noise from the street. Being close to the station means the noise from the street was noticeable even through the double glazing and thick curtains. It continued late into the night, and started early. Acceptable level, but this is one of the reasons for me not awarding five stars.

Noise & vibration from thick set doors shutting. The hotel has a series of thick heavy doors from the lifts to the rooms. They add a stately feel to the place, but they make a loud noise and vibrations which I could feel whilst lying in bed. This was annoying as I wanted a bit of a lie-in. How about investing in a damped door closing mechanism?

Car park/Drop off space. I guess it’s a brilliant place to stay if you arrive by train, but not by a car. There enough space in front of the hotel to accommodate two cars. Unfortunately, these were not available on either of the occasions when the space would have been handy. Also the hotel car park is a multi-storey car pack a minute walk away. I probably wouldn’t have minded if it had not been raining heavily at the point of departure! It will add further £5 to the cost of your stay (the reception will validate your ticket which entitles you to a discount rate).

Breakfast? £8 per person and no discount for a child seems bit steep, even though the reviewers here seem to like it. It was offered to us in a ‘take it or leave it’ manner. If you believe it’s worth the money, do sell it to us!

I appreciate my points 1 & 3 are totally out of your control, but I hope you agree with me that my review would add another viewpoint to your website, and is not inaccurate.

Sorry it took a while to post this review. I thought I have done, but obviously I didn't!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms not facing the main streets.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family