1,611 results
All reviewscar parkmill lanethe executive loungecity centreone way systemtrain stationbars and restaurantsjohn lewistwo double bedsbit datedhigh floorlocation is excellentper nightpublic areasreception stafffew minutes walkwould stay again
Reviewed 23 May 2018

We were from overseas travelling around the UK for a month, usually staying in new accommodation every day. On arrival to the room it is was quite hot in addition to the warm day outside. We rang reception to report the problem and a technician turned up an hour later to fix the air conditioner. Rang room service for a bucket of ice to be delivered and there was a no show. Rang reception again asking "is there an ice machine located on any of the levels" - the reply was "yes, but I don't know which one". My husband had to go in search for the ice himself. In addition to the room charge there was a hefty charge of 18 pound for the car park overnight. Didn't want to take our chances on eating in, so promptly went out to dinner in preference to there.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JeanLatch
Guest Relations C, Guest Relations Manager at Cardiff Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2018

Dear JeanLatch,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay. I would like to express my apologies for your experience with us and I would very much welcome the opportunity to address these issues directly with you. Would you be able to contact me on caroline.nelson@marriotthotels.com. Thank you.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 22 May 2018

Booked this hotel for location when watching a show, staff friendly rooms were clean but nothing special, bar is expensive. Breakfast was nice, a good variety of things to choose from and is all you can eat. Check in was bit slow.
I’d stay again due to location but I do think it’s a bit pricey for what it is

Stayed: May 2018
Guest Relations C, Guest Relations Manager at Cardiff Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2018

Dear Rachael E,

Thank you for writing a review of you stay with us. It is wonderful to hear that you found our staff friendly, you enjoyed the breakfast and the location was right for you. I'm sorry to read that check in was a slow, There is a lot of information that is needed upon check in to ensure we have all the correct information and for the security of our guests. I will share this with the Front Office Manager to review ways we could improve this experience.

Unfortunately due to being a city centre hotel our bar prices do reflect this and are competitive with the same establishments in the area. I would like to thank you for your feedback and I will share your comments to the correct departments to continuously improve our standards.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 21 May 2018

Access to this parking is a nightmare despite detailed information from the hotel. I followed the signs as per email from hotel and came down Bute Street and onto Custom House Street. I've just received a penalty notice for driving in a bus lane. Extremely poor signage and access to this place. It seems the only way of getting there without getting a penalty notice is to head down St Mary's St and turn right onto Mill Lane however there is also a bus lane on St Marys Street which doesn't allow you to make a left hand turn onto Mill Lane where the entrance to the hotel car park is located. Cardiff Council must be making a mint from this. Perhaps clearer sign posting would be beneficial! Suffice to say I'lll choose elsewhere to stay next time I'm in Cardiff.

Room Tip: Don't drive there unless you want a penalty charge!
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled on business

Dear NFDA,

I'm sorry to read that you found it difficult to gain access to our car park. We worked with the council last year and had several brown signs put in place to direct guests to our hotel. There is one on Bute Terrace which tells you to turn left onto Bute Street, there is another one on Bute Street which directs you right onto Callaghan Square, then finally there is one on Callaghan Square which directs you to take the second exit on the roundabout onto St Mary's Street. This is where you can turn right onto Mill Lane and then into our car park. Unfortunately you are unable to turn left from St Mary's Street when coming from the opposite direction.

I'm sorry to hear you received a fine for driving in a bus lane. I have shared this with our Executive Team to see if there is anything else we can do to improve the signage. Thank you for you feedback.

Reviewed 21 May 2018

Generally a decent hotel with great staff. Looks pretty uninspiring from the outside but much nicer inside. Its in a good location for the town centre where there are a ton of good places to eat and drink. The night life of Cardiff is pretty lively and this hotel is very well placed for taking advantage of that.

Its about a mile away from the lovely (and much quieter) Cardiff Bay area but there is a taxi rank outside and its both easy and quick to get to places like the Wales Millennium Centre for concerts etc.

The only downer for me was that although very convenient for the town centre, its also a very noisy area. There is a strip of very popular, crowded and loud bars right opposite so it you're staying on a Saturday (and I suspect a Friday too) then you you're going to suffer a lot of noise until around 1am. Lots of booming music. I had to ask to be moved to the rear of the hotel where thankfully the rooms are much quieter and the noise does not get through. Unfortunately all the Executive rooms are at the front of the hotel so I had to have a standard room instead.

The rooms are rather dated and tired looking but they are comfortable and fairly spacious. You get nice personal hygiene products and tea/coffee making facilities. They have big 49" TVs and the beds are very comfortable. Sadly the air con in the room is pretty ineffectual and the rooms, for me, are quite warm. I had to sleep with the window open which, even at the back of the hotel, was a little noisy due to traffic below. I was on the 7th floor.

The staff, though, were very helpful and attentive. Can't fault them at all. I didn't eat at the hotel so can't comment on the bar and restaurant.

I would consider staying here again but if (like this trip) I was attending the Wales Millennium Centre for a concert then I think I'd opt to stay in the Cardiff Bay area as it has better parking, is nearer the venue and is a much quieter area where there are plenty of other hotels.

Full disclosure: I booked this stay using my Marriot Points so didn't pay any money for it. Also I have posted the same review on the Marriott website.

Room Tip: At weekends ask for a room at the back of the hotel where it's much more quiet and you won't get disturbed by the bars at the front.
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled solo

Dear Jimmski,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your most recent stay. I'm very pleased to read you had a pleasant stay overall, I will be sure to share all your comments with the correct departments.

Unfortunately with the prime location does come some noise on the weekends as you mentioned. We do always recommend to request a quieter room at the back of the hotel if guests require this.

I'm sorry to read you had trouble with your air conditioning and we were unable to solve this for you during your stay. It is a shame we didn't have the opportunity to send an engineer to fix this for you.

I do hope you enjoyed your concert and we hope to welcome you back in the future when your travels bring you back to Cardiff.

Reviewed 20 May 2018 via mobile

Rooms very dated ours was clean. Bathroom had mouldy grouting. The health club is seriously tired and quite grubby. Even Butlins is cleaner. Really quite disappointed as you charge the earth.

Great location. Staff really friendly. Restaurant was nice for breakfast. Just so so average though due to the really dated facilities.

Like the title says if you want luxury stay somewhere

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends

Dear Melissa M,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay. We aim to provide the highest standards and we're sorry we didn't meet your expectations on this occasion. I have shared your comments with the relevant departments to look into and make the improvements where necessary.

It is lovely to hear your positives comments about our staff and breakfast. Thank you for your feedback, it is very much appreciated as with this we are able to continuously improve our standards.

Kind Regards,