“Standing ticket holders treated like peasants”
Review of Liberty Stadium

Liberty Stadium
Reviewed 27 June 2018

First off, let me say that The Killers were absolutely amazing, however, the organisation of the venue was abysmal. This is the second time I've been to the Liberty Stadium for a music event (seen Kings of Leon in 2014, that was badly organised as well). I don't think they should hold anymore big events like this before they actually learn from their mistakes which ruined peoples nights.

Entry to the outside 'village' was simple as we'd arrived quite early, around half 4, and not many people had arrived yet. Prices for food and drink were ridiculous, £10 for a cup of low alcohol gin and tonic. Water should have been freely available as well and handed out around the pitch, especially as the stadium began to fill, no one wants to queue ages for a £2 bottle of water.

Major problems with the organisation started showing as the support act came on and the stadium started reaching its capacity. There was only one entrance for those standing and the stewards that were working at the stadium seemed confused and hopeless, the amount of them that I seen just standing around doing nothing, just watching the band was terrible(same with the bar staff that had apparently sold out of drinks halfway through the show). There was also only one exit gate for those wanting to leave the stadium to use the portaloos outside and to get food or other drinks. This was a huge health and safety hazard and I'd hate to imagine what could have happened if there was an emergency.

I was expecting that the vendors and toilets INSIDE the stadium would be for the use of everyone, not just seating, as its fair and makes more sense in order to avoid large queues and general chaos. The exit gate was an absolute mess because they didn't separate the people that wanted to leave who already had been given wristbands from the people who were yet to have wristbands so it took ages to get out even though we already had our wristbands on and didn't need one. There should have been two separate exit points for those who already had wristbands to quickly leave and then another queue for those who were yet to get them.

The worst thing by far though was the lack of toilets for standing ticket holders. You'd think based on thousands of people standing and drinking alcohol that they would have more than enough available but at one point, I think we queued for about half an hour to use a disgusting portaloo whilst missing the show. We always queued for at least 10/15 minutes to use them and then had to queue ages to get back in the stadium. For a start, they shouldn't have allowed the seated people to use the outside portaloos as they had their own to use inside.The toilet situation completely spoiled the night for myself and loads of other people as you had to miss large sections of the show in order to use the toilet.

I notice most of the good reviews for the Liberty Stadium are coming from people that had seated tickets and therefore, weren't treated like animals. Men were literally urinating wherever they could as the night went on whilst the women had to queue in masses to use the minute amount of portaloos available.There definitely weren't enough bins available inside and if there were, I couldn't really see any so people were throwing their rubbish everywhere and then people were tripping over things in the crowd. I think there should have been stewards amongst the people standing as well because it was disgusting to see that people had literally been sick on the floor in amongst the crowd and men were urinating in cups and then throwing them.

I thank god that we had arranged a lift home otherwise we would have had to have waited hours and hours for a taxi. The Liberty Stadium is an absolute shambles for organising shows, I will never attend another show there and don't think any big bands should play there either. I live 10 minutes from Swansea and would rather travel hours to go to London to a proper stadium instead of dealing with the absolute mess put on by the organisers at the Liberty. They made maximum profit from ripping people off with drink prices and having the least amount of portaloos possible.

Still though, The Killers were absolutely amazing and I'd love to see them again, just in a way better place.

2  Thank Low001
in 17 reviews
"match"
in 22 reviews

Reviewed 27 June 2018

Had a great day out at the Liberty stadium for the Killers concert, easy access and no crushing when leaving, pretty modern building with plenty of toilets and food and drink vendors, seats were comfortable and plenty of room not cramped, it is situated away from the city center on the outskirts on a dual carriageway next to a retail shopping center with food and drink outlets and a morrisons supermarket for cheap food and drinks not many spaces for car parking at the stadium and the road outside was closed for 30 minutes after the concert to let the people exit safely all in all a good venue

Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

Being a massive fan of The Killers I’ve lost count of the number of gigs I have been to and been totally and utterly blown away but this time I left feeling throughly disappointed and totally ripped off.
I’d paid £291.50 for 2 VIP seated tickets, plus accommodation and travel and the view and sound was absolutely awful. The stage was either far too big for the stadium or the side view seats should have been blocked off or sold as restricted view, certainly not offered in the VIP top price bracket.
The seats we were given meant we were more or less level with the side of the stage meaning we couldn’t see in to the stage at all and ended up staring at the side of a large grey tent all night. We couldn’t see the set, the lighting, the drummer, any of the other musicians or backing singers and felt disconnect from the whole experience and the rest of the audience.
It was even uncomfortable and difficult to watch the big side screen as we were side on to it. The whole set up and organisation was disjointed and I’m gutted that this was allowed to happen!
Based on this experience alone I would never attend a music concert at the Liberty Stadium ever again.

Then came the whole taxi fiasco! If a venue cannot cope with the transport logistics of a large crowd then they really shouldn’t be allowed to hold such large events.
We’d tried to pre book the journey home with the taxi company that dropped us off but alarm bells should have started to ring when the driver said they were not doing pick ups!
So, like many many others, not knowing the streets and not fancying the 40 minute walk in the dark, back to our waterfront hotel when we knew it was only around 6 minutes by car, we ran out of the venue to what we considered to be the safe option, the taxi queue that had been set up in the retail park. After a couple of hours of waiting in a massive queue for non-existent taxi’s and feeling totally abandoned, I finally decided to call my husband who was in another country, to try and book us a taxi home. Eventually he was successful, although when the car arrived several desperate people tried to pinch our ride. We ended up paying quadruple the price back to the hotel as we’d paid to get there but by this time we really didn’t care!!

Reading some of the other 1* reviews by people who were standing has made me realise what was going on with the toilet and entry and exit situation below. We watched a poor pregnant woman begging to be allowed (we think) to visit the toilets by the St. John’s ambulance set up and she was turned away by the girl who was stewarding and the poor pregnant woman walked away in tears. I felt this was a bad call and rather harsh, especially now I’m aware of how difficult it was for those standing to use the facilities.... it also just goes to show as my view was so bad I was busy watching the drama unfold below rather than enjoying and being immersed in the show like I normally would be!

I do have to say on a positive note, that was one problem we didn’t have though. The toilet facilities and catering and bar near our seated section was very quiet and well managed and the staff were all very happy and polite.

Reviewed 26 June 2018

We had an excellent view in our seats and the concert was fabulous . I really liked the stadium and thought it was very well organised . It didn't feel too packed and queuing for drinks and food wasn't too bad. The Porto logos had long queues but we ate in one of the restaurants nearby so this wasn't a problem for us.