“Pretty Poor try somewhere else”
Review of Flying Hippo

Flying Hippo
Ranked #1,036 of 1,391 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Cuisines: British
Reviewed 29 June 2018 via mobile

Should have known when this place was pretty quiet compared to the other dining area in the airport.......

Service: Was poor starting with having to wait to be seated while staff were more interested in either chatting or cleaning tables to no checks with customers about food quality etc and a smile wouldn't have gone amiss. Finishing with having to leave table to go and find a server to pay.

Food: both of us ordered avacado and poached egg on muffin breakfast and I added bacon (well done). When it came bacon looked like it had only just been shown the pan so had to get that changed!!!!! Secondly, a poached egg is a beautiful thing when you cut into it and the yolks runs out all over the rest of your food forming like an additional sauce.
Not in this case!!! Someone needs to show the chef how to cook a poached egg or at least tell them to reduce the cooking time so that the yolks are not solid.

Overall very poor and if I was manager of this place I would be pretty disgusted with the standards being delivered. Looking at the other reviews, I am not the only one who thinks so

1  Thank jerry_rugby

Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

You don't expect the Ritz at an airport restaurant but our experience was dreadful. Apart from the high prices, the food was almost inedible. We had bacon and cheese burger with chips and a half of lager (£3.45 a half pint). The chips tasted like they had been cooked in engine oil and the burger bun was stale. The salad in the burger was limp and the bacon was like boot leather. The staff lacked personality completely, walking around like zombies. We should have realised there were issues when the place was almost empty, compared with all the other bars were heaving. Lesson learned.

Reviewed 26 June 2018

The airport was extremely busy in the Friday afternoon we were there
Rather than use Burger King or grab a sandwich we decided to start the week In style with a. Ice lunch out and seat.
We wre greeted and sat in a booth.. However the gaps in the booth to the side of us looked onto the heaving Burger King queue and wasn't very private !!
We ordered soft drinks and a bacon and cheese burger meal each ..at approx £15 per meal !!
Omg hurrendous when it came out
Dry bun that broke up when picked up..seemed stale
Fatty bacon which we had to pull fat off
I melted cheese and average burger and oven chips !!!
Spent approx £35 was the biggest waste of money ever

Reviewed 22 June 2018 via mobile

I don’t have high expectations for an airport diner but blimey felt compelled to review for the sake of mankind.. chose this place because it had plenty of seats and airport was very busy. It was empty for good reason. Had a cheese and bacon burger it was borderline inedible. I doubt it was fresh the burger and bacon were rock hard I would put money on it being ready prepared and microwaved. Even the tomato tasted funny? Just thinking about it makes me feel a little queasy now.. how can you get a burger so wrong??! When next here I would definitely recommend any of the sandwich shops or cafes or even Burger King. Was expensive but that’s a given. Would be ok as a place to sit down and have a coffee if everywhere is busy but don’t have the food.

Reviewed 18 June 2018 via mobile

If I could give no stars I would . Saturday 10th of June drove down from Aberdeen , checked in looking forward to having something to eat & drink before catching flight. No seats in else where so went to flying Hippo BIG MISTAKE !! Was seated and told be half hour wait for food (o well what can you do ) order was taken immediately and drinks came pronto all good . We ordered 2 burgers with bacon & cheese a pizza and plain nachos to share between the 3 of us . Food arrived quicker , BUT NOT WHAT WE ORDERED !! Instead of burgers we got chicken and chips and nachos with pulled pork !! I pointed out the mistake and was completely ignored !! So I went after girl & repeated that’s not what we ordered ,and she just looked right through me by now I’m angry so I returned to table and thought just eat it only to discover the chicken was disgusting certainly not fresh !! By now I’m livid so I went to another member of staff who was at till point and said excuse me can I have a word ,she never lifted her head but said wait a minute ! So I did ! Still ignored I went back to my table utterly stunned at the attitude . Family calmed me down and at least we could eat the chips ( they were ok) and also I’m starving. When member of staff who ignored me at till came over to ask if meal was ok !! When I told her the problem that our order was wrong and chicken wasn’t edible she went for manager . Manager came and I could not belief she said you’ll need to pay whether you ordered it or not !! She totally ignored the fact it not only was not what we ordered but the chicken was inedible !! I think a clear out of gum chewing staff and management and a crash course in customer service wouldn’t go a miss .Ended up paying over £55 for 2 plates of chips and 2 soft drinks and a beer . The Flying hippo should be flung out of airport !! I’ve never seen such appauling staff or food anywhere ever . Airside in an airport your captive with little choice , but would expect much better standard than this!!

1  Thank LynnA1035