1,193 results
All reviews charles dickens hayward restaurant creaky floorboards car park historic hotel coaching inn travelzoo voucher wyle cop lovely old hotel old building glass of prosecco steeped in history on site parking centre of town lots of character course meal high street
Reviewed 27 March 2017

It's just quietly comfortable nich staff and good food. The breakfast staff are exceptional. We love to just sit in the lounge and relax over a pot of coffee.
Parking is great in a town that is difficult - to say the least!

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
foh14, General Manager at The Lion Hotel Shrewsbury by Compass Hospitality, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2017

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review further to your recent visit to the Lion.

We really do appreciate guest feedback and your kind comments will be passed on to all concerned, especially the team at breakfast.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Lion on your next visit to Shrewsbury.

Reviewed 26 March 2017 via mobile

I had booked several weeks in advance for afternoon tea with mum as a treat for Mother's Day. I live in Shrewsbury and have loved the Lion Hotel for years for it's traditional old fashioned feel, which is why I chose it.
We arrived and although they had reserved us a table, the chairs had been taken so we had to help the waitress find some available ones. It was rather chaotic to begin with as they were busy and only two member so staff apparent for both the bar and waitress service. Mum was really thirsty and requested three times a glass of tap water before it arrived.
The afternoon tea was nice and very good value for money - £17.00 for two, so can't complain too much. I just think they needed more staff especially on the Saturday before Mothering Sunday.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
foh14, General Manager at The Lion Hotel Shrewsbury by Compass Hospitality, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review further to your afternoon tea experience on Saturday.

Please be assured your comments will be discussed with the team and I'm sorry your Mum had to ask three times for some water.

It was very busy on Saturday and we had all the tables reserved and staffing levels on the floor reflected business demands, unfortunately quiet a few guest turned up on the day that had not booked which then had a bearing on the volume of guests in the Lounge and Lobby area.

I am very pleased to see that you still enjoyed the afternoon tea experience never the less.

We do hope to see you back at the Lion very soon.

Reviewed 24 March 2017

Very welcoming staff-not an hotel for people with limited mobility. There is a lift -lots of rooms are up/down steep/awkward steps-which is unsurprising given the age of the original bits of the hotel.

Stayed: March 2017

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post a review further to your recent visit.

Good to see the staff were friendly.

Thank you for your comment regarding the layout of the Lion, I can confirm that we do have access points around the hotel and purpose built ramps for guests with limited mobility.

We hope to see you back at the Lion on your next visit to Shrewsbury.

kind Regards

Reviewed 24 March 2017 via mobile

The facade and interior of the original hotel is quaint. However, I would say that the hotel rooms them-self could do with a little updating. The stay was part of a package, and what we received was good value.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jakeandbella

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review further to your recent visit.

I am delighted your overall stay was good value and an enjoyable experience.

A program is in place to refresh all the bedrooms as we have been doing over the past year as we continue with internal improvments to guest experience.

We do hope to see you again on your next visit to the area.

Reviewed 24 March 2017

As an International Heritage student, I found The Lion Hotel to truly represent what I would consider, heritage. The interior of this building is so fascinated, that I felt that if it was possible, I would spend some months there. The room was clean, but the bathroom is very modern.

The breakfast was excellent with so much to choose from. Supper was excellent and I could still remember those chicken wings that ordered. Oh, there were so succulent!!.

Room Tip: My room was very quiet and visible.
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank Angela S

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a fantastic review, your kind comments are much appreciated and will be shared with the team who will be delighted.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Lion on your next visit to the area.