“OK visit - but not up to previous high standards”
Review of Miller & Carter

Miller & Carter
Ranked #113 of 1,635 Restaurants in Sheffield
Reviewed 23 June 2018

Went today (Saturday 23rd June) as a delayed Father's day treat.

Party of 6 plus a 30 mth old toddler and 6 mth old baby for lunch (12:30).

Seated in a private area around a large table which was great as we wouldn't get in the way of other diners with the two youngsters.

Restaurant was reasonably busy when we arrived but tended to thin out as time passed.

Service, which is usually very good, was quite slow. We waited quite a while for orders to be taken, quite a while for starters to be served and a long time thereafter for the mains to arrive - so long in fact that I went to enquire as to where the food was an hour and ten minutes after arriving (and around twenty minutes after we had finished our starters) as there was no sign of them.

Two of the starters - the cheesy garlic mushrooms - were lukewarm and the order of scallops tasted burnt (the scallops themselves weren't burnt but had picked up the flavour from somewhere).

When the mains arrived, the two sirloin steaks (which are usually cooked to perfection) were overdone - we had ordered them rare and they arrived medium. My steak as well as being overcooked was also slightly tough (again something not experienced before) and my fries were also overcooked.

When the mains arrived a member of staff apologised for the delay in the mains although no reason was given.

We decided not to have a dessert on this occasion.

We were asked by a member of the wait staff about our food during a check-back and we told him that both of our steaks were overdone. He apologised for them but that was as far as things went.

We were not approached by any other member of staff after this and we didn't ask to speak to anyone else.

Given that we visit M&C reasonably often - something like 8-10 times since they re-opened as M&C just over a year ago - this was by far and away our most disappointing experience thus far. I just hope that this isn't the start of a trend as it has been consistently good up to now - hence the 'average' rating of 3/5.

A total of two and a half hours for a starter and a main is rather a long time in any event but even more so trying to keep a 30-month youngster old entertained (thank goodness for YouTube and Peppa Pig).

1  Thank B J
General Manager A, Manager at Miller & Carter, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2018

Hi B J, thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent experience. We are disappointed to hear that you are not satisfied with your visit.

we take al feed back very seriously and in doing so use all guests concerns to help us focus on the areas that need improving.
We do hope you will come back again and hopefully we will be back to our usual high standards.

Jacquie Lucasb

Reviewed 21 June 2018

This is part of one of the better steakhouse chains with a good menu, well prepared steaks and sides. I've tried several branches and this is just as good as the others I've been tp. There's a choice of several steaks and they all come with a couple of gimmicks, "a slice of onion loaf" and a wedge of iceberg lettuce with your choice of dressings. The steak comes on a large rectangular plate with a quarter of a tomato, the onion and your choice of steak sauce. The potato, (fries or a jacket) is served separately and the lettuce wedge is brought before the main course so that you can pretend it's a salad.

If you opt for one of the smaller cuts of meat it does look a bit lost in the middle of the plate. On this occasion the steaks were cooked just as requested (although we had to send them back once at another branch). On Monday to Thursday they do a special 3 course deal on a reduced number of menu choices which works out as good value for money.

Dear kpjboro

Thank you for leaving us your feedback.
we pleased to se on the hole you enjoyed your visit, we would have welcomed any feedback that could have helped us to identify any areas that we could have gained five stars.
we hope to see you again soon

Jacquie and The Team

Reviewed 18 June 2018 via mobile

absolutely beautiful food...the service is first class..nice atmosphere and surroundings. would definately recommend this place

Date of visit: June 2018
General Manager A, Manager at Miller & Carter, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2018

Hi Simone S, thank you so much for your positive comments about Miller & Carter Sheffield!

Reviewed 18 June 2018

We came here for fathers day as we wanted to do something a little different and have been wanting to come here for a while. Let's just say this, it was definitely a good choice! From being seated, to being served, the food, to leaving... everything was brilliant.
Sean was our server and I cannot fault him. Fab customer service, thankyou! The food and drinks came out within a good time and the atmosphere was great. You never once felt rushed.

The steak... cooked to perfection! Having recently given birth and liking my steak rare (& craving it throughout) i'm glad I chose here for my first steak in a year!

Only thing I can add is that it would have been nice for the dad's on the table to have got a little something with it being father's day.. maybe a free beer?

Will be coming back :)

Date of visit: June 2018

Thank you again for taking the time to let us know how we did. sean will be delighted to know that he made such an impression.

Jacquie and the Team

Reviewed 18 June 2018

I booked a meal here for my girlfriends 31st Birthday which was last Saturday. I knew what I was having before we even arrived after viewing the menu online days before. I made a reservation online stating and in the special requests/comments box stated it was a birthday meal and if they could do anything to make it a bit more special etc...

When we arrived a lady checked us in and we were given a buzzer which goes off once our table was ready, we sat at the bar and had a drink, after about 5 minutes the buzzer went off and we were show to our table.

Grace was our server who was great, very friendly, she went through the menu then took our drink orders. We then ordered our food which included starters and sides, I opted for the chipotle chicken to start and my girlfriend had the fried calamari. For main I had the 20oz T-bone medium and my girlfriend had the 16oz ribeye, we both shared some lobster mac n cheese and lobster and king prawn tempura as side dishes.

The food was excellent, nothing to complain about, the steaks were cooked perfectly for both of us and presentation was really nice. During the meal we ordered additional drinks, I had another beer and my girlfriend ordered a cocktail, mine arrived within a few minutes but we had to wait a good five minutes maybe even slightly longer for the cocktail (I had to ask where it was). Grace apologised for the delay stating there was a wait for making cocktails. I wasn't bothered about that to be honest, but I would rather been told of the delay and have both drinks come together rather than sat waiting while the other person has their drink.

Once we were finished we relaxed while our table was cleared and then paid for the meal and left.

I'm not sure if I should have "expected" something or maybe I should have mentioned the birthday request again but after leaving a note on the online booking form that it was a Birthday Meal I was disappointed to see that nothing was done or said whatsoever. Should I have mentioned it when we checked in, when seated or when served?

I had no opportunity to mention this as my girlfriends was with me so any "surprise" would have been ruined.

After seeing so many "Happy Birthday" plates with a dessert on I was disappointed to find that the booking request I made was ignored and that when we checked in, they should have had a quiet word with me to confirm or ask what I would have liked for a surprise. I would have even paid for a "Happy Birthday" dessert if that's what's needed.

Anyway, the meal was lovely, I would come back again and I intend to, thought I won't bother mentioning if it's a special occasion as those requests are ignored.

Dear Ben
thank you for leavivng us a high star rating.
We apologise that your request for your girlfriend Birthday was not acknowlegded.
This is very unusual for our team and I would like to assure you that this was purly an oversight.
I can Assure you we do not intentionally Ignore our guests request.
I am Glad to see your food was excellent and That on the whole you enjoyed your evening.

Jacquie and The Team